Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · DPP and what?

Sayeret18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · DPP and what?

Have finally upgraded an ancient computer and am looking for recommendations regarding post-processing software. I need something that will be relatively fast and simple to work with, because I simply do not have much free time to play with the images. I've used DPP for years - what else (if anything) should I add? Lightroom? Picasa? DXO? Something else entirely? Thanks!

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Jkovack

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · DPP and what?

lightroom

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · DPP and what?

Lightroom or Elements10

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · DPP and what?

Lightroom is for organizing, converting Raws, and keywording. It can do a lot of exposure, white balance, and lens tweaks for conversion; much like DPP in that regard.

Photoshop is the prime software for post-processing and retouching and creative image manipulation.

It's important to distinguish between Raw conversion and post-processing and be clear about your goals.

It seems to me that Lightroom is best suited to you for "fast and [kind of] simple". I've used DPP for years, but keywording is important to me and so I just purchased LR 4 (I had previously used 30 day trial).

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:18 PM
wuchang
• •
p.1 #5 · DPP and what?

You might look at BreezeBrowser Pro -simple and has a lot of features-- one friend said it was DPP on steroids

Does proofs,web pages and RAW conversions with ease

I would almost say that Lightroom and Bridge borrowed some of its features but that never happens in software

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:43 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #6 · DPP and what?

Absolutely LR4.
I used DXO but with the same amount of effort, the LR4 images look vastly better. Maybe if I spent more time with DXO I could have achieved the same results. I can process things quite quickly in LR4.
If you want to mess with some pixel editing periodically, photoshop elements should be quick, cheap when you need it.

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:49 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · DPP and what?

I was using DPP & Aperture
transfer to Photoshop as needed

but now I am favoring Aperture 3 for its RAW conversions
I found an Applie tech book and PDF's from Aperture Expert website that answered by questions

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:52 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #8 · DPP and what?

I have considered the same decision, and at the moment am still using Canon's DPP software. DPP has added a lot of features that make it very useful to me, and I do not do not really have a need for adding keywords. DPP added a second ranking type feature, and that combined with the 1 through 5 category tagging works well for me.

I have used Lightroom some just to get a feel for it, but I am not sure I really want to learn in detail a new software unless I will be using the improved features it can provide. And for the occasional major image manipulation that I might want to do, I go directly to Photoshop.

Canon's addition of their Digital Lens Optimizer Module in DPP is another feature that may make staying with DPP a good idea. I have not worked with it much yet, but it has the promise of taking a lot of guess work out of optimizing an image.

If you do want to consider Lightroom, you should for sure make use of the 30 day trial, so that you know better if it is going to be worth the change.

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.1 #9 · DPP and what?

Thanks, this is helpful. I need both RAW conversion and a few of the most basic post-processing tools (e.g. cloning, burn and dodge, levels, and some tools to clean up around the eyes for portraits). Is there a better alternative to Elements? I had Elements 3 back in the day, and found it full of extraneous junk.

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · DPP and what?

Sayeret18 wrote:
Thanks, this is helpful. I need both RAW conversion and a few of the most basic post-processing tools (e.g. cloning, burn and dodge, levels, and some tools to clean up around the eyes for portraits). Is there a better alternative to Elements? I had Elements 3 back in the day, and found it full of extraneous junk.

Elements 10 (or is it 11 by now) is sooo much better than back then. Its got most of what you would actually use in the full photoshop.

That said Lightroom does most of what you want as well

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · DPP and what?

abqnmusa wrote:
I use DPP & Photoshop
process RAW in DPP
use 'transfer to photoshop" on occasion

do not care for database import requirement of LR4 & Aperture 3

+1: Exactly the same for me here.

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:31 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #12 · DPP and what?

do not care for database import requirement of LR4 & Aperture 3

+1: Exactly the same for me here.

Not sure what these comments mean. Neither programs actually require the user to "import" an image. The images can reside as masters anywhere on your computer (or on an external drive), and both programs will simply reference the master.

John

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · DPP and what?

I am favoring Apertuire 3 & DPP

Edited on Sep 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · DPP and what?

LR4 and PSE 10.

I stopped using DPP once I got used to LR3, and now LR4 is considerably better. You can even salvage old lenses like the original 24 TS-E and 45 TS-E that have inherent color fringing, uncorrectable in DPP.

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:17 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #15 · DPP and what?

Another Lightroom supporter. It is a great program and makes processing a lot of images a breeze. Changes do not effect the original file. But you can make a virtual copy so you can experiment with different treatments and see what works best or just have the same image available in different formats. You can do selective adjustments (think dodging an burning with control of all aspects of the image (not just tonality, but color, sharpness, color temp, etc.))

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.1 #16 · DPP and what?

Ok then, it seems the thing to do is give LR4 a try. If it doesn't work, I can always go back to elements 3, I guess.

Sep 14, 2012 at 06:35 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #17 · DPP and what?

The RAW files are 14 bits/pixel. So you want to process them as 16 bit/pixel (48 bit) files in the RAW converter.

The issue with Elements is that it does not support 48 bit image (16 bits/pixel). Only 8 bits per pixel (24bit).

Sep 14, 2012 at 06:59 PM
scottv69

p.1 #18 · DPP and what?

I was an Aperture user, but have just switched over to LR4 in the last few weeks and haven't looked back. I use this combined with PSE.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #19 · DPP and what?

You could try downloading a trial of DX0. There are a lot of features in it. I would also go through the video on their site.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · DPP and what?

Sayeret18 wrote:
Ok then, it seems the thing to do is give LR4 a try. If it doesn't work, I can always go back to elements 3, I guess.

I have used the free trial versions of LR3 and LR4, but haven't felt the need to buy it yet; DPP and Elements works for me for now.

I wouldn't go back to Elements 3. I have PSE9 now, and will get PSE11 when it is released. There are so many improvements over earlier versions that it's not even a fair comparison. For $99 it's a bargain.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:04 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password