New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

joshua2012

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

If the price point would get down to around $2000 I think it could be a real contender. Although I understand the love many people still feel for their d700 I think the price still out here with the D800 and now with the upcoming D600 are just inflated. I personally rarely use a flash so that limitation doesn't concern me very much. I already own a D800 but I think I would consider this as a low cost backup frame and I can see keeping my 50mm on this smaller frame and using it as a good street camera or something to keep be busy while my D800 w/grip and heavy lens is sitting on my tripod waiting for the sunset

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:02 PM
iseeq4life

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

Why has anyone mention or revealed the buffer size of this camera?

5.5 FPS is great but how many can it do in RAW and how long does it take to recover?

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

moconnell wrote:
Depending on what you shoot, this may be a deal breaker - under the additional features and functions:

A durable shutter unit that has passed testing for approximately 150,000 cycles, and supports a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 s and flash sync speed of 1/200 s. The shutter is equipped with a monitor function that automatically checks for, and detects, errors between the specified shutter speed and actual shutter speed.

No thanks

Is there anything that's much better? I don't think any FX camera can manage even one stop faster flash sync than that. I was really hoping to see faster flash sync speeds coming out but it's still one of the Achilles Heels of the DSLR.

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Artscar2
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

I set my pre-release limit at 1750. USD and am content to wait for rebate season. It is a nice camera for a non pro body though. I will keep my d7000 however. It just is too much for me at this point.

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Crossczechfoto
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

Ralph Conway wrote:
Nikon says same.

Please point out to me where the stats are that the grip doesn't bump up the frame rate as I have been searching all today about it.

(Haven't seen if they have posted the PDF file of the manual yet either)

Ross

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

moconnell wrote:
Depending on what you shoot, this may be a deal breaker - under the additional features and functions:

A durable shutter unit that has passed testing for approximately 150,000 cycles, and supports a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 s and flash sync speed of 1/200 s. The shutter is equipped with a monitor function that automatically checks for, and detects, errors between the specified shutter speed and actual shutter speed.

No thanks

I agree that 1/200 for a flash sync speed is low, but we've been dealing with 1/200 or 1/250 for years and years. The D70 was one of the few with 1/500

As for the max shutter of 1/4000 ... no big deal there eaither ... ND filter.

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:22 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

Andre Labonte wrote:
I agree that 1/200 for a flash sync speed is low, but we've been dealing with 1/200 or 1/250 for years and years. The D70 was one of the few with 1/500

Yes, but that's a DX format camera. I don't think any of the FX cameras are much better than the D600. The D3x is 1/250, the D800 seems to be 1/320.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:23 AM
jaswebpics

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

Hi all. One question I have about D600 vs D800 is the lack of CF card in the D600 (it has two SD slots, D800 has one of each).

Is this no longer an issue, as SD speeds are now fast enough to handle the data rate?

I thought CF had more robust error correction too, though this may be urban myth.

I'm guessing that if you shoot raw and continuous-high, you'll hit the buffer/transfer limit quicker with SD than CF. If the D600 can do 5.5fps with raw, for a couple of seconds, I'll be happy...

Sep 15, 2012 at 05:44 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

iseeq4life wrote:
Why has anyone mention or revealed the buffer size of this camera?

5.5 FPS is great but how many can it do in RAW and how long does it take to recover?

I posted it in another thread. I think it was like 16 14bit raw uncompressed and around 60 or so large fine jpeg. Which I think was similar to d800 buffer.

brad

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:17 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon unveils the D600 24MP full-frame DSLR

Crossczechfoto wrote:
Please point out to me where the stats are that the grip doesn't bump up the frame rate as I have been searching all today about it.

(Haven't seen if they have posted the PDF file of the manual yet either)

Ross

I believe with the cameras that get a boost from grip Nikon always posts that info in the specs and such info is not posted in the D600 specs.

brad

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.