Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Old School ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Old School ...

They just don't make 'em like this any more ...

Shot from a car show ... very tight quarters @ reflections.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Old School ...

Nice!

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Old School ...

Beautiful clean lines moving my eye from bottom to top.
The hood of the car seems very clean from dents and dings.
Nicely done Kent!

Scott

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:13 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Old School ...

Lovely tones and light. Very nice! - Paul

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:29 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #5 · Old School ...

Love it, very well done! Especially at a car show, nice job on eliminating the usual distracting reflections.

Rob

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Old School ...

Thanks guys.

In the vein of "practice what you preach" (or at least try to) ... AI=AR and I went for a mostly "vertical" reflection that would be reflecting only (almost) the cloudless near-twilight sky. I was fortunate to have a nearby step that I could get about a foot or so higher than I normally stand.

I'm starting to think as though everything is a mirror (which it kinda is, since we only see reflected light that is not absorbed by the subject) ... i.e. what color does it reflect? Is it reflecting cool soft overhead sky, or is it reflecting warm direct sun, or is reflecting both ... and if both, which parts are pointed toward which light source? This was basically just a "test shot" for proof of concept experimenting.

Sooc for reference.
Just to trying serve up a little lemonade ... made from what would otherwise be a plain ol' lemon ... til you add some sugar.

As always, S&P to taste.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:25 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Old School ...

This is an excellent example of seeing a wonderful photograph hidden in what could be described as a snapshot. You did a great job of removing distractions through cropping and post processing.

It's an example of images I really like, where there's a strong, almost abstract design element as the first read with the second read filling in the details of what we are seeing.

It's one of the best images I've seen from you. I'm not sure the moniker "Rusty" applies anymore.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Old School ...

Hi Rusty, those kind of fins went away in the early 70's. Nice job on it and I really like the idea that everything is a mirror.

I tried your over saturate trick yesterday and it worked beautifully in helping me correct a color cast trick. Now to think about the mirror idea.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Old School ...

dmacmillan wrote:
I'm not sure the moniker "Rusty" applies anymore.

Thanks guys, I'm still a work in progress, that's for certain. But, I've sure been using the old "oil can" around here the last couple years to try and break things loose a bit. And, with a little help from my friends (Y'ALL) ... well, "THANKS !!!" for all the help.

I jack my jaws pretty hard in here ... and some of it even "rubs off" on me every now & then. Heck, even a blind dog finds a bone now & again.

Doug, I'm finally starting to gain some control over portions of my PP, such that I am more confident that I can relax my technical concerns a bit while shooting. The whole right brain/left brain thing is starting to shift around a smidgeon for me ... but I've still a long way to go to get where I want to be.

Digital for me has been an incredibly difficult transition for me to try & learn / remember things @ PP, until I can figure out how to relate them back to my roots in physics & math ... while trying to remember how I used to shoot "back in the day". For those who might not remember ... I suffered a brain injury just before picking up the camera again. It makes learning/retaining new things very tough ... as it also makes it very difficult for me to express myself succinctly and accurately ... hence the long posts and odd analogies and lag time(s) at putting out a complete thought.

BTW ... can someone tell me how to save / apply the processing from this pic to another one, rather than trying to "reinvent the wheel"?

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:07 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Old School ...

Was your editing in PS or LR?

In PS, I would just create an action and then you can play it on any of your images.

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Old School ...

PS ... thanks.

Can an action be created "after" I'm done with my determined layers ... or does it simply replicate the "infinite" iterative steps I took back & forth to get to my final cadre of layers?

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:28 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Old School ...

You have to record it like a macro, so you would need to effectively start over. Once set up though, you can use them in batch or apply them as needed in post. You can also group them in folders to make it easier to organize them. It is just a recording of the steps. One thing you can do is insert stop points along the way for you to make adjustments as needed for each image. Hope this helps - Paul

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Old School ...

Record it like a macro ... that's what I was afraid of.

Stop points ... hmmm, with a little (lot) of forethought, I might be able to use that okay. Can I run "multiple" actions along with way? For instance run a "layer setup" action when I open an image that duplicates the layer and sets up my "workflow". Then after tweaking on an image with my color correction layers, run another action (say a sharpening layer) to tweak on, then run the next action, etc. & so on ... modular style rather than a complete run through?

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:29 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Old School ...

Yes, you can do that, and that is often what I do.

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Old School ...

Gotcha ... thanks.

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:50 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Old School ...

Nicely done, Kent!

I've decided what I want is a camera with a wireless heads-up display monocle or glasses so I can hold the camera above my head or on the ground or wherever and still accurately composition. Combine the head gear with a remote wireless release would be good, too for tripod mounting and remote cameras.

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:30 PM
jshalvorsen

p.1 #17 · Old School ...

AuntiPode wrote:
Nicely done, Kent!

I've decided what I want is a camera with a wireless heads-up display monocle or glasses so I can hold the camera above my head or on the ground or wherever and still accurately composition. Combine the head gear with a remote wireless release would be good, too for tripod mounting and remote cameras.

What about a tilt-screen?

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Old School ...

Articulating screens are nice ... I used one on a P&S that was raised up on a 20 pole. No fine detail viewing of course, but for framing/level, it got the job done.

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:36 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Old School ...

Articulating screens can be useful, but they bind you too closely with the camera for some situations and can be washed-out by the sun. A wireless heads-up display ought to allow greater flexibility and also accommodate keeping two eyes on the whole scene whilst selectively shifting focus to frame and make precise decisions.

Sep 14, 2012 at 08:59 PM
weissj
• • •
p.1 #20 · Old School ...

Really beautiful shot. Color, lines, and texture are just captivating. What a great way to see a classic car.

Sep 15, 2012 at 03:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password