Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Steve Torelli wrote:
Doesn't it get expensive, switching brands every time one or the other introduces a new camera ?

Honestly unless you are at or pushing the limits of your gear constantly for professional photography work there is absolutely no need to really switch. When the Canon 1D2 came out (and 1DS2) Nikon really had no answer until the D3 and D3x. True, Canon came out with the 5D2 later which had the best IQ for a while but the D700 was more than good enough for most people really.

I used the 1D2 quite a bit for my advertising work but was most times at the limits of a) its low light / high iso performance and b) resolution. So when the 1DS3 came out I jumped on it due to its combination of resolution and speed. It had a nice balance for the work I do. But, I still hit a resolution limit and high iso performance limit in some type of work, a whole lot less percentage of my work than before but still, I was at the limit at times. Now I got the 5D3 which kinda solved my high iso limitations but I am still waiting for a solution from Canon with more resolution and a tad cleaner shadows and shadow recovery potential.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:06 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Very impressive specs for $2100 compared to the 5DIII for $3500. The Nikon has most of what the 5DIII has and a better sensor for a lot less...great job Nikon.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:15 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Beni wrote:
Have to admit I'm with Chris on this one, he is obnoxious and constantly confrontational. Too few are willing to call people like that out.

Chris can use PM or contact the mods for that. We don't need to read that insulting BS. Death is not an excuse. Keep it private. Besides, the comment reply to Chris was not "obnoxious" or "confrontational". It was a solid point.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:19 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D600 is out. how tempting.

This has got to effect D800 sales.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:24 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Good. Now Canon will have to drop their prices.......... maybe.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D600 is out. how tempting.

If it drops 5D3 prices then there are only winners here in the canon camp.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:45 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D600 is out. how tempting.

That wifi dongle is gonna be a big selling point. Forget cable shutter release, this is the 21st century. Makes close to ground level or other awkward angle shooting a breeze as well.

Whatever you do Canon, I want that wifi dongle on a Canon camera and EOS Utility app for my phone and tablet as well!!

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:45 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D600 is out. how tempting.

edit: nevermind, who cares

Edited on Sep 13, 2012 at 04:14 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:52 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D600 is out. how tempting.

jcolwell wrote:
Two thoughts come to mind.

(i) You'll have to change your FM name.

(ii) I'm not moving away from Canon, no matter what Nikon brings out. I'd be deluding myself to think that the 1DX, 1DIV, and 5DII aren't good enough for me. Not to mention the glass. Oh, the glass...

Haha love it! I am with canon for the long haul. Love my glass. Maybe I suck as a photog but my 7D and 5dii aren't holding me back. I need to improve before my equipment.

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:00 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D600 is out. how tempting.

I thought I might be disappointed about my decision to switch to Canon and the 5D3 once this camera was released. I'm not. Had they used a more adult friendly form factor instead of the puny D7000 from factor, it might have caused me to think a bit about it. But honestly, having owned pretty much everything from the D40 to the D700, there is nothing in that range feels as solid as the 5D3 (the D700 comes close, but the ergonomics of the 5D3 blow it away). And now that the 5D3 has what I consider to be a high-end focusing system, the extra $$$ seems well worth it.....

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gregfountain
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D600 is out. how tempting.

artsupreme wrote:
Very impressive specs for $2100 compared to the 5DIII for $3500. The Nikon has most of what the 5DIII has and a better sensor for a lot less...great job Nikon.

I'm curious. Is it the extra 2M pixels that makes it a better sensor, or do you have some insight on it's performance? I mean, specs are one thing, real life shooting are another.

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D600 is out. how tempting.

While the D800e tempted me a little in the beginning but this camera definitely doesn't, not even the slightest. However, I reckon and fully expect that individual needs and/or requirements vary quite a bit among users and this may appear to be what their dream camera would be, just not for me.

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D600 is out. how tempting.

cordellwillis wrote:
Besides, the comment reply to Chris was not "obnoxious" or "confrontational". It was a solid point.

It was, so why not have just post that considered, factual, relevant reply first time to actually add to the debate, instead of his usual smug "I'm better than you and you're a moron" comment?

I apologise to anyone I've offended by what I said, I am under a lot of stress and upset at the moment, and I hope you'll forgive me.

Rest redacted, no point trying to plead for civility and causing more argument by doing so

Edited on Sep 13, 2012 at 04:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D600 is out. how tempting.

I feel it will cannibalize Nikon's own more so than the competition. To alot of people, it's not just a switch of a camera. We're not talking some sort of Coolpix or Powershot camera. Alot of folks who are willing to shell out $2000+ likely will have invested in lenses, flash etc.

Having experienced the D7000 a coupla times, the D600 body is a great turn off for me.

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:15 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D600 is out. how tempting.

surf monkey wrote:
I'm not sure where everyone's getting the "no MA" feature.

Here's the info in the Nikon website specifications:
Nikon Multi-CAM 4800 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, fine-tuning, 39 focus points (including 9 cross-type sensors; the center 33 points are available at apertures slower than f/5.6 and faster than f/8, while the center 7 points are available at f/8), and AF-assist illuminator

Thank you! They got it from the Nikon forum. People there oversaw "fine tuning" because they where looking for "MA".

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:16 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D600 is out. how tempting.

artsupreme wrote:

gregfountain wrote:
I'm curious. Is it the extra 2M pixels that makes it a better sensor, or do you have some insight on it's performance? I mean, specs are one thing, real life shooting are another.

I think it's just an assumption that I made previously and artsupreme reiterated.
The assumption on my post was that this 24MP sensor is the same as the one in the new full frame Sony A99.
The dynamic range and noise handling of the Sony/Nikon Exmor sensors have been leading the competition for a few years now.

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:18 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
While the D800e tempted me a little in the beginning but this camera definitely doesn't, not even the slightest. However, I reckon and fully expect that individual needs and/or requirements vary quite a bit among users and this may appear to be what their dream camera would be, just not for me.

I think it's perfect in terms of price point and features for enthusiasts who want a full frame DSLR for landscape and portraiture. No need for superfast burst rate and AF. If Canon makes one, I'll be buying it for sure, and so will many others I suspect.

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:19 PM
SchnellerGT
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D600 is out. how tempting.

No one has mentioned here that the D600 does F8 focus...something that not even the 1DX can do...

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:20 PM
dchen99
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D600 is out. how tempting.

artsupreme wrote:

So for this price difference, can some 5DIII owners tell me what features of 5DIII that D600 does not offer?

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Wahoowa wrote:
Not a direct response to anyone, but I've always amazed at people or articles that try to make the cost of manufacturing an equipment look really cheap by only considering the pure material costs. They probably forgot that the manufacturer has to have someone there to operate the machines. Oh, yes, there are also some machines there in the production. Then, the designs, the researches...a bunch of prototypes that have been tossed away and never seen the production line. And countless of many costs to run a company.

That's a fair point.....for a new feature...for example the people who critisised the 5DII for it's crap AF (I was on of them) - if Canon had developed a new AF system and, for the sake of argument called it the 5DIIAF and charged $500 more, and we'd said "god's sake, an AF module costs $5 at most" then your point would be very fair and justified, the R&D costs waaaaay more than the circuit board.

However even the D300 has an AF-ON button for crying out loud, it's not like Nikon would be pushing the envelope by including one, all the fixed costs are done and paid for a million times over probably.

Edited on Sep 13, 2012 at 04:25 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:22 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password