Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12       end

Archive 2012 · D600 is out. how tempting.

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · D600 is out. how tempting.

EOS20 wrote:
DXO Mark:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Nikon-D600-sets-high-bar-for-sensor-image-quality

Pretty much what we all suspected of the new 24MP Sony/Nikon Exmor sensor.
Just about as good as it gets.

Looks like a great landscape DSLR for those that want to go light.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:06 PM
jamato8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · D600 is out. how tempting.

surf monkey wrote:
Pretty much what we all suspected of the new 24MP Sony/Nikon Exmor sensor.
Just about as good as it gets.

Looks like a great landscape DSLR for those that want to go light.

Very interesting. Looks like Canon better kick it in the rear and get going. You can only take an image once, may as well do it with the best you can. Too bad Nikon doesn't match all of Canon's lenses but they do have some quality there as well.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Chris Beaumont wrote:
There's always one dick who thinks being smarmy is a clever, relevant, articulate response isn't there?

Strangely it's nearly always you...

Uh, and you... judging by the text of your post... ;-)

Dan

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:00 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · D600 is out. how tempting.

As expected the D600 sensor is going to kick ass and take names....it's going to shake things up.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · D600 is out. how tempting.

What's wrong with the D800 sensor then? It has a higher MP count and it is rated better than that of the D600 by DXO. If you want to switch to Nikon, I fail to see the logic that you would do that with the D600, which is geared more towards beginners. Even a lot of Nikon shooters are not impressed with the camera and claimed that the D600 is crippled. Apparently more Canon users are more impressed with this camera than Nikon shooters. The only good thing about the D600 is that AF performance is still too early to evaluate while that of the D800 is sketchy at least on quite a bit of them.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:39 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
What's wrong with the D800 sensor then? It has a higher MP count and it is rated better than that of the D600 by DXO. If you want to switch to Nikon, I fail to see the logic that you would do that with the D600, which is geared more towards beginners. Even a lot of Nikon shooters are not impressed with the camera and claimed that the D600 is crippled. Apparently more Canon users are more impressed with this camera than Nikon shooters. The only good thing about the D600 is that AF performance is still too early to
...Show more

If the D600 is crippled then what do you call the 6D? Fischer price?

The takeaway here is that Nikon is offering a very inexpensive lightweight landscape camera that smashes all Canon offerings and will likely smash any upcoming canon release because Canon doesn't have the technology. With Nikon/Sony's sensors obliterating Canon's at low ISO the tide will continue to swing...

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:49 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
What's wrong with the D800 sensor then? It has a higher MP count and it is rated better than that of the D600 by DXO. If you want to switch to Nikon, I fail to see the logic that you would do that with the D600, which is geared more towards beginners. Even a lot of Nikon shooters are not impressed with the camera and claimed that the D600 is crippled. Apparently more Canon users are more impressed with this camera than Nikon shooters. The only good thing about the D600 is that AF performance is still too early to
...Show more

Much of the praise for the D600 is in regards to the new Sony/Nikon Exmor sensor, which looks to be superb.
If you're a shooter who wants more DR, than this is an upgrade over every single Canon no matter what the price.
If the better sensor doesn't mean much to you, then the D600 looks uninspiring.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:55 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · D600 is out. how tempting.

artsupreme wrote:
If the D600 is crippled then what do you call the 6D? Fischer price?

You are free to call it whatever you want. I have zero, zilch interest in that camera but from what I have gathered here, some folks may find it attractive. To each his/her own and I respect whatever their decision and for sure, I won't question their decision, let alone mock their decision or find their decision incomprehensible.

artsupreme wrote:
The takeaway here is that Nikon is offering a very inexpensive lightweight landscape camera that smashes all Canon offerings and will likely smash any upcoming canon release because Canon doesn't have the technology. With Nikon/Sony's sensors obliterating Canon's at low ISO the tide will continue to swing...

OK, that's fine and I really don't feel like debating at this point. If you have switched to Nikon then, congrats and enjoy your gear! If you haven't then it is about time for you to go to the greener pasture then. I don't have anything against Nikon, of course.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:04 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
...Show more

surf monkey wrote:
Much of the praise for the D600 is in regards to the new Sony/Nikon Exmor sensor, which looks to be superb.
If you're a shooter who wants more DR, than this is an upgrade over every single Canon no matter what the price.

You missed my point completely. Let me repeat it again - The D800 has more MP and the e version without the AA filter is more adept for landscape photography. I would be more excited to get the D800e than the D600. That's all I was trying to say. I have zero interest in this camera at all while the D800e seems to be more attractive to me if I were to switch or add Nikon to my lineup, not that I would but that would be the route I would take. DXO rated the sensor of the D800 as higher, too, not that I care about what DXO comes up with.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:10 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · D600 is out. how tempting.

surf monkey wrote:
------Much of the praise for the D600 is in regards to the new Sony/Nikon Exmor sensor, which looks to be superb.

You have spelled it out very well.

Edited on Sep 19, 2012 at 06:15 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

artsupreme
• • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
You are free to call it whatever you want. I have zero, zilch interest in that camera but from what I have gathered here, some folks may find it attractive. To each his/her own and I respect whatever their decision and for sure, I won't question their decision, let alone mock their decision or find their decision incomprehensible.

OK, that's fine and I really don't feel like debating at this point. If you have switched to Nikon then, congrats and enjoy your gear! If you haven't then it is about time for you to go to the greener pasture then.
...Show more

Who said anything about switching? This is a gear forum where people talk about gear. Don't be so bitter that Nikon is stomping Canon, it only benefits you by forcing Canon to stop the crippling ala 5DmarkIIn (aka 5DIII)

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:14 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
You missed my point completely. Let me repeat it again - The D800 has more MP and the e version without the AA filter is more adept for landscape photography. I would be more excited to get the D800e than the D600. That's all I was trying to say. I have zero interest in this camera at all while the D800e seems to be more attractive to me if I were to switch or add Nikon to my lineup, not that I would but that would be the route I would take. DXO rated the sensor of the D800 as
...Show more

But the D600 is at a different price point for those who might not be able to afford a D800...

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:16 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · D600 is out. how tempting.

I think it is enjoyable to look at what is available. I have too much glass to switch and have used Canon since the 1970's after selling (wish I hadn't at the time), my Ftn Nikon gear with many assorted lenses.

Leica has the new M rangefinder which looks very interesting to me but the price. . . My M9 will have to do for some time. It is all interesting.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:17 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · D600 is out. how tempting.

artsupreme wrote:
But the D600 is at a different price point for those who might not be able to afford a D800...

OK, I can see that but that applies more to existing Nikon users whether they upgrade from their 12MP D700 or from DX bodies with existing lenses. But Canon users that are considering switching to Nikon? Well, the cost of swapping lenses and the hassle would be quite a bit. Why save a few bucks while you are in the process? Why not get the best rather than the second best (figuratively speaking, of course) while you are trying to do so? You could be second guessing yourself for months or maybe years to come.

The desire to switch to Nikon that has been on the decline seems to be rekindled again with the introduction of the D600. Again, the D600, which is the title of this thread, right?

artsupreme wrote:
Who said anything about switching? This is a gear forum where people talk about gear. Don't be so bitter that Nikon is stomping Canon, it only benefits you by forcing Canon to stop the crippling ala 5DmarkIIn (aka 5DIII)

Agreed, we are talking about gear. Although I mentioned that as a reply to your post, it wasn't actually addressed to you but to folks that based on their post are considering of switching. Bitter? No, I am not bitter at all. I am just a little tired of the whining but I guess that's what photography fora are for. It would be boring otherwise, huh?

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:28 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
OK, I can see that but that applies more to existing Nikon users whether they upgrade from their 12MP D700 or from DX bodies with existing lenses. But Canon users that are considering switching to Nikon? Well, the cost of swapping lenses and the hassle would be quite a bit. Why save a few bucks while you are in the process? Why not get the best rather than the second best (figuratively speaking, of course) while you are trying to do so? You could be second guessing yourself for months or maybe years to come.

The desire to switch to
...Show more

Don't forget about people entering the market for their first DSLR and also those who use both systems...I'm sure there are some Canon landscape shooters who would be interested for starters. But we're getting off topic, the topic was how the affordable D600 smashes not only Canon's intended competitor 6D but also all of Canon's offerings in the sensor arena. Remember, it's a gear forum...

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:35 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
Agreed, we are talking about gear. Although I mentioned that as a reply to your post, it wasn't actually addressed to you but to folks that based on their post are considering of switching. Bitter? No, I am not bitter at all. I am just a little tired of the whining but I guess that's what photography fora are for. It would be boring otherwise, huh?

How do you consider praising the D600 sensor whining? People are stating the facts, not whining...if you consider it whining you are possibly getting too defensive of your Canon gear.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:38 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Call me crazy, but I do wonder if the Nikon gear forum would be a better place to discuss D600 ?

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:45 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · D600 is out. how tempting.

PetKal wrote:
Call me crazy, but I do wonder if the Nikon gear forum would be a better place to discuss D600 ?

Yes, I will call you crazy because Nikon is Canon's competitor and it's always nice to compare bodies/technology in a gear forum. If this forum was limited to only Canon gear we would need to block a very large percentage of the discussions.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:49 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · D600 is out. how tempting.

AGeoJO wrote:
...Show more
surf monkey wrote:

AGeoJO wrote:
You missed my point completely. Let me repeat it again - The D800 has more MP and the e version without the AA filter is more adept for landscape photography. I would be more excited to get the D800e than the D600. That's all I was trying to say.

I didn't miss your point. I don't think anyone would dispute that the D800 is better for landscape.
The D600 may be tempting to Canon users with an APS-C body looking to upgrade to full frame, especially if they have only EF-S lenses.

My point from before, to make it more clear:
If you're the sort to be impressed by sensor performance, than the D600 looks impressive, because it's better than every single Canon, including the 1Dx. Your statement that Canon users are more impressed might be the result of Nikon users having many top sensors to choose from - so it's not a big deal to them. Canon isn't in the same ballpark in the DXO tests, if you believe in the numbers, so some Canon users are impressed.

Edited on Sep 19, 2012 at 06:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:50 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · D600 is out. how tempting.

artsupreme wrote:
How do you consider praising the D600 sensor whining? People are stating the facts, not whining...if you consider it whining you are possibly getting too defensive of your Canon gear.

True but praising Nikon gear on the Canon forum like there is no tomorrow? While trying to be open-minded but it is getting old fast, at least, IMHO. That's what I meant and there is a Nikon board for that. The ironic thing is there is less enthusiastic Nikon users about the D600. Only 7% wants to get it right away.

Sep 19, 2012 at 06:51 PM
       12       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

12       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password