Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Yea! 6D! Come on Canon, it is just in time now.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D600 is out. how tempting.

7 AF points fully functional at f/8. It's embarrassing that Canon does not have this on their $7000 flagship product.

With Nikon you can just add a TC and start shooting. With Canon I need to get a roll of tape out.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:01 PM
SchnellerGT
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Crazy.

Looking at B&H, I could purchase the following:

D600 + 24-70/2.8G + 35/1.8G + 85/1.8G + SB700 = $5007

OR

5DIII + 24-70/2.8LII = $5758

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:20 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Chris Beaumont wrote:
Deliberately leaving off things like micro-adjust, pc sync and af-on buttons to differentiate it from the D800 smacks of Canon's ridiculous deliberate crippling policies of 3 or 4 years ago though, stupid and pointless move by Nikon IMHO

There's the kiss of death right there - no micro adjust. Nikon's quality control is totally non-existent these days, so users will be forced to repeatedly send their gear to Nikon - at their own cost and for a considerable amount of time - to try to get their lenses to focus properly on this camera.

Hmm... maybe Nikon sees this as a revenue stream to supplement the cost of the camera, since they will deny there is a problem with the equipment and charge customers a boatload of money to fix the defect...

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:32 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D600 is out. how tempting.

ggreene wrote:
7 AF points fully functional at f/8. It's embarrassing that Canon does not have this on their $7000 flagship product.

With Nikon you can just add a TC and start shooting. With Canon I need to get a roll of tape out.

Well given the number of complaints about the AF on the D800 i'd rather have a stellar system we have that is extremely accurate at F5.6 than hit or miss and capable of F8..

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:35 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D600 is out. how tempting.

canon pants wrote:
http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0913_dslr_01.htm

Maybe canon will drop the mk 3 price before everyone changes over. I am thinking of picking one up at that price just to try it out.

Whats your thoughts?

I've been looking at it. It's NOTHING LIKE the 5d3:
* 1/4000th second max shutter
* SD cards
* No Xsync (apparently)
* Questionable weather sealing / construction
* Fewer focus points
* Slower FPS
* No AF ON button (apparently)
* No micro adjustment
* AF sensitivity at -1EV rather than -2.

The only thing it's really got in it's favour is a tiny bit of resolution, f8 points and probably dynamic range.

If you think this will hit the 5d3 market you're missing a lot of very important points lol! It's not a pro camera - it's an enthusiast camera. If you're an enthusiast and this works for you, go for it

You get what you pay for, but it's good for the price.

Edited on Sep 13, 2012 at 02:00 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:50 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D600 is out. how tempting.

It's tempting to pick up the D600 kit, but for $2,700 I would probably be better served getting the D7000 kit. I'm already heavily invested in Canon, so it's extremely unlikely that I would purchase this. However, I have been toying around with getting a Nikon kit just as a back up for travel.

-Nick

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D600 is out. how tempting.

The D600 really rounds out Nikon's DSLR's product line across a good price range. It should have at the very least as good or better image quality than the 5D3 and it has almost the same speed and capabilities. We already know quite a bit about how the D800/E's Image quality beats any Canon DSLR made. This D600 might also and at a much lower price.

Canon really needs to a) lower the 5D3 price to about $2800 and/or b) Introduce a 3D w/ +-40MP at about $4000.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:03 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D600 is out. how tempting.

I'm more interested in what Canon would do to respond to this camera. Maybe the 7D will indeed become the entry level FF while 70D takes its APS-C crown back.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:12 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D600 is out. how tempting.

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I've been looking at it. It's NOTHING LIKE the 5d3:
* 1/4000th second max shutter
* SD cards
* No Xsync (apparently)
* Questionable weather sealing / construction
* Fewer focus points
* Slower FPS
* No AF ON button (apparently)
* No micro adjustment
* AF sensitivity at -1EV rather than -2.

The only thing it's really got in it's favour is a tiny bit of resolution, f8 points and probably dynamic range.

If you think this will hit the 5d3 market you're missing a lot of very important points lol! It's not a pro camera - it's an enthusiast camera. If you're an enthusiast and this works for
...Show more

I know a lot of working pros that use 50D or D90 cameras. To say something is not pro gear is kinda elitist. I'm sure Nikon and Canon know their customers and markets better than we do. I think many people are not all that savvy when it comes to gear. They shop by mp and price. I see it all the time when they ask me to get their fancy dslr (a Rebel and kit lens) to take non blurry pictures of their kid doing indoor sports. So I think having yet another full frame camera with more mp under the cost of the 5D3 has to put some pressure on the price of the 5D3. How much pressure only Canon knows. We can debate the rest of the features or specs of each camera but to much of the general public most of those differences won't matter, IMO.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D600 is out. how tempting.

I'm not sure where everyone's getting the "no MA" feature.

Here's the info in the Nikon website specifications:
Nikon Multi-CAM 4800 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, fine-tuning, 39 focus points (including 9 cross-type sensors; the center 33 points are available at apertures slower than f/5.6 and faster than f/8, while the center 7 points are available at f/8), and AF-assist illuminator

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:17 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D600 is out. how tempting.

The new Nikon 24MP sensor should be great. It looks like the same spec as Sony's new full-frame camera.
And the Sony/Nikon sensors have been at the top of the heap for awhile now.

Edited on Sep 13, 2012 at 02:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:18 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D600 is out. how tempting.

molson wrote:
There's the kiss of death right there - no micro adjust. Nikon's quality control is totally non-existent these days, so users will be forced to repeatedly send their gear to Nikon - at their own cost and for a considerable amount of time - to try to get their lenses to focus properly on this camera.

Hmm... maybe Nikon sees this as a revenue stream to supplement the cost of the camera, since they will deny there is a problem with the equipment and charge customers a boatload of money to fix the defect...

I'm not sure where the lack of MA idea came from but according to the Nikon site it has MA.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:18 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Chris,
While I too am sorry for your loss, I watched the love of my life hover near death, in excruciating pain for the last 2 weeks, and yet, I don't feel the need to insult everyone on FM--hmmm. Actually, I am extremely grateful to have this fellowship to help me through, and grateful for the magic of my nikons.
As far as Nikons quality control, I have 4 bodies and 7 lenses, some bought in the last month, that are flawless.
There seem to be many others on the forum with the same experience.
I have seen nothing from Nikon that isn't light years ahead of anything we had 5 years ago.
You seem to suffer from the "they didn't build it exactly like i wanted them too" syndrome. As the doctor in Rocky Horror said "They didn't build him for you!" Each camera is built to satisfy a particular demographic-maybe this one wasn't intended for you!

Deal with your sorrow, maybe get some help, if needed, then reassess your equipment. If it doesn't meet your needs, try something else, while you still have people who care to have a discussion with you! God Bless.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Since most Canon users here know there is a Nikon forum, why can't some people keep their Nikon posts over there

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:37 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D600 is out. how tempting.

surf monkey wrote:
The new Nikon 24MP sensor should be great. It looks like the same spec as Sony's new full-frame camera.
And the Sony/Nikon sensors have been at the top of the heap for awhile now.

Yes, more pressure on Canon in the FF area. Nikon and Sony have the lead currently in the FF field. Excellent for us customers since prices gonna drop! As I said before, 5D III prices will be standardized $2700 or likely even lower end of this year.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:50 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Doesn't it get expensive, switching brands every time one or the other introduces a new camera ?

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:51 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D600 is out. how tempting.

rodmcwha wrote:
Chris,
While I too am sorry for your loss, I watched the love of my life hover near death, in excruciating pain for the last 2 weeks, and yet, I don't feel the need to insult everyone on FM--hmmm. Actually, I am extremely grateful to have this fellowship to help me through, and grateful for the magic of my nikons.
As far as Nikons quality control, I have 4 bodies and 7 lenses, some bought in the last month, that are flawless.
There seem to be many others on the forum with the same experience.
I have seen nothing from Nikon that isn't light
...Show more

Have to admit I'm with Chris on this one, he is obnoxious and constantly confrontational. Too few are willing to call people like that out.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:54 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D600 is out. how tempting.

I just bought a new 5D Mark II for $2000 CDN. Last DSLR I bought was spring 2006 (5D classic). I've bought a new full-frame lens (Tokina 16-28 f/2.8) and am going all full-frame (selling 20D, 18-55, and 10-22). I'm not tempted to switch brands any time soon.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D600 is out. how tempting.

Steve Torelli wrote:
Doesn't it get expensive, switching brands every time one or the other introduces a new camera ?

Yup. Please switch often. Switchers subsidize us steady users.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password