Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A Rookie with a question..

Rob UK
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Rookie with a question..

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed in other discussions people making reference to the AF On button and its importance to them.

Would anybody be able to help me understand the usefulness of this button and under what circumstances it could be used?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I would be interested to hear from you guys about its use.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:30 AM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Rookie with a question..

Rob UK wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have noticed in other discussions people making reference to the AF On button and its importance to them.

Would anybody be able to help me understand the usefulness of this button and under what circumstances it could be used?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I would be interested to hear from you guys about its use.

Thanks in advance

Rob

To completely separate the AF process and the shutter process. It makes focus/recompose a bit easier, since you press AF to focus where you want, let it shutoff, the recompose all you want (without feeling the need to half-depress the shutter).

For AF-S full time manual lenses, it lets you also press AF-ON if you want AF, or you can turn the focus ring for MF, any time, without flipping switches.

Some landscape photographers (who use MF a lot) like this setup also, since they have AF when they want, and MF when they don't, for the same mechanisms mentioned above.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:09 AM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Rookie with a question..

Nikon's AF system is very intuitive, but I like to tell the camera when to focus and what to focus on with the flick of a thumb. The focal plane doesn't change unless I want to change it. If unexpectedly I need continuous AF/tracking, just hold the AF-ON button. No need to change AF modes, for a different type of subject.

I was a late adopter, but just feel I works better for me. But, hey, I also primarily shoot Manual exposure mode over Priority/program modes. Why? I just prefer the control. Not a dumb question though.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Rob UK
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Rookie with a question..

Thanks for the explanations guys

I think this is something that I will have to experiment with.

I appreciate the responses

Rob

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:45 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Rookie with a question..

It takes some getting used to, it will feel awkward for a while. Another advantage is that it separates the focus from the metering, again for more control.

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.