Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 question please help

tm0000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D800 question please help

Hi

I just bought a new D800 and I've heard a lot about the focus issues in some cameras.
I was wondering, can someone please tell me how I should check if my camera has AF issues? I have the lensalign system if that'll help.

Thank you

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:26 AM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D800 question please help

Put the camera on a tripod with a fast lens on it set wide open. Probably something like a bookshelf full of books parallel to the sensor would be a good target, where you can try all of the focus points on something with easily discernible detail like text.

Take a few shots with each focus point, or at least a good spread of them, and see if there's a discernible difference in the accuracy between them, and if it's repeatable. Make sure you manually rack the lens out of focus between shots.

You can also compare the results of live view AF vs the viewfinder - live view should be spot on, and if your camera and lens are calibrated well, there should not be a consistent repeatable difference in results between LV and VF focusing.

I haven't been bored enough yet to try this, I just fine tuned all my glass to the center point and headed out to shoot.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM
patriot
• •
p.1 #3 · D800 question please help

The D800 left bank AF defect is evident on wide fast lenses, wide open. I could see it on my 24-70 between 24 and 35mm, f2.8. AT 24mm it would be gone by f5.6, f4 at 35mm.

It will be consistent, as workerdrone says.

Testing these lenses wide open and on the sides can also be playing in areas these lenses are not as strong as far as sharpness. So it's important to have some idea how these lenses perform wide open, and what normal or acceptable looks like. Left and right should be consistent with reasonable expectations, and with each other. Center will most likely be better, and that is usually normal for these lenses wide open.

With the left defect, the left will lock but be out of focus to a point unreasonable for this lens, and the right will be in focus, again to a reasonable level.

Always consider the lens: your lens may need service, not the body. Also consider your expectations for the lens: are they reasonable?

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM
this is me

p.1 #4 · D800 question please help

Lol. If you have to ask, then it probably won't affect you.

Sep 14, 2012 at 08:31 PM
patriot
• •
p.1 #5 · D800 question please help

this is me wrote:
Lol. If you have to ask, then it probably won't affect you.

With no statement from Nikon defining the defect, and how to check if you have it, they are leaving themselves open to anyone for what ever reason to be seeing what may be normal as the dreaded D800 defect. In other words, some perhaps many are seeing ghosts in the closet where none exists. And at the same time, people who do not use outer AF points, or own wide fast lenses, may have the defect and never know it. But they may someday unwittingly sell those cameras over to people who do, opening themselves up to grief from the buyer.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password