Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Extensive skin retouching

ScooberJake
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Extensive skin retouching

Don't have a lot of experience with this, so I'd appreciate some comments. Too much? Look ok?

This is a high school senior. Mother asked to be sure I included retouching, said her son is sensitive about it. I used portrait professional, then did some cloning at ~50% opacity. Thoughts?

Before

Senior - Nick-1.jpg by Jake Mueller, on Flickr

After

Senior - Nick-2.jpg by Jake Mueller, on Flickr

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:17 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Extensive skin retouching

That is a little too noticeable IMHO.....
Here is something a little more subtle.
If you want to know how it was done let me know
If you want me to take it down I will...
The layer with the retouch is backed off to about 55% so more can be added to much though and it begins to look fake

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:35 AM
adzy007
• •
p.1 #3 · Extensive skin retouching

I like Michaels example. Its a good compromise of keeping it real and improving his skin. The problem with the original retouch is that the skin texture is gone and thats what makes it look fake.

BTW, was shooting in a wide aperture an option? Its another way of softening the skin- I see the background is plentiful blurry though.

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:49 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Extensive skin retouching

Yes, the first attempt looks too unnatural. Here's another take:

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:26 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Extensive skin retouching

Graham Mitchell wrote:

Very nice graham, care to share any of your techniques?

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Extensive skin retouching

Graham Mitchell wrote:

Very nice graham. Care to share any of your techniques?

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Extensive skin retouching

Michaelparris wrote:
Very nice graham. Care to share any of your techniques?

Thanks, this was just a 5 minute demo but you get the idea. Unfortunately there is no "Fix skin" button. I use at least 5 different techniques, which depend on the type of skin problems, the resolution of the file, etc. It just takes lots of practice really. I've been PSing for 20 years now

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Extensive skin retouching

I use a combo of the spot healing brush and cloning on a separate layer, and play with the opacity to keep it real. Don't have time at the moment to do this one, but I would guess it would take me about 15 minutes to do my best job using that technique. Experiment with those tools and you will find your way.

Sep 12, 2012 at 01:14 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Extensive skin retouching

Buy a copy of Lee Varis' "Skin". It has a good chapter on retouching. The technique he discusses gives good results. Your photo will take some time and patience.

Sep 12, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Extensive skin retouching

Graham Mitchell wrote:
Thanks, this was just a 5 minute demo but you get the idea. Unfortunately there is no "Fix skin" button. I use at least 5 different techniques, which depend on the type of skin problems, the resolution of the file, etc. It just takes lots of practice really. I've been PSing for 20 years now

So, I guess that means no.I have been PSing for quite a few years myself. I know quite a few techniques my self just trying to add to the arsenal (mine was also a 5 minute fix using one of a few I know). Not that anyone would want to use any technique that I have but I freely share any and all photography/photoshop techniques I have learned over the years. I have always scratched my head at those who don't/wont....

Iron sharpens iron.....

Sep 12, 2012 at 02:37 PM

Langran
• • •
p.1 #11 · Extensive skin retouching

I think Michaelparris did a great job on it, graham your retouch is very well done but for me it makes his skin look TOO good. Nothing unrealistic about it I just think that you only want a small improvement to make him feel better.

Sep 12, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Bill Guy
• •
p.1 #12 · Extensive skin retouching

As someone who has photographed and worked with High School kids I can tell you the idea of being realistic doesn't really enter into their senior photos. While the artist in us may want to keep it real the client (ie the mom and kid) want the images to be as good as possible.

My feeling are if something is temporary like zits they go. In fact I have never had a client request that put even one zit back on the image. So yes use the healing brush, clone tool and adjustment layers to remove the zits and redness. Some smoothing is required but plastic skin is not.

What kid wants to be reminded of their skin in High School?

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:00 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Extensive skin retouching

Bill Guy wrote:
As someone who has photographed and worked with High School kids I can tell you the idea of being realistic doesn't really enter into their senior photos. While the artist in us may want to keep it real the client (ie the mom and kid) want the images to be as good as possible.

My feeling are if something is temporary like zits they go. In fact I have never had a client request that put even one zit back on the image. So yes use the healing brush, clone tool and adjustment layers to remove the zits and
...Show more

I disagree...I think therein lies the problem. Everyone wants to be seen as someone they are not. The sooner we learn to "like" ourselves just as we are early in life the better IMHO.

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:22 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #14 · Extensive skin retouching

Someone call Lisa Holloway lol. She's the master at this.

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:39 PM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #15 · Extensive skin retouching

Frequency separation technique -

Edited on Sep 15, 2012 at 03:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:56 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Extensive skin retouching

newhaven wrote:
Frequency separation technique -

Best retouching so far. Good job!

Sep 12, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Extensive skin retouching

Very nice Newhaven....frequency separation technique I'll have to look that one up

Sep 12, 2012 at 04:30 PM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #18 · Extensive skin retouching

Thanks. I would try to describe the technique, but there are a lot of video tutorials on the web.
This is a good one -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0byiIcTJ0

Edited on Sep 12, 2012 at 05:08 PM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2012 at 04:37 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Extensive skin retouching

Newhaven nailed it - I'll have to look that technique up. I like the texture so much better than the smooth spots left behind in the other versions posted.

Sep 12, 2012 at 04:41 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Extensive skin retouching

Thanks newhaven.that's what's this forum is all about imho...
Iron sharpens iron

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password