Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Las Vegas tips

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Las Vegas tips

Never been, going next week. Taking a tripod, D700, 16-35 f4 VR and 50 1.8. Was thinking of using the fifty at night on a tripod for the city lights and the 16-35 during the day, Hoover dam, etc. Is that over simplifying things, good idea or limiting? Also, any good places to recommend where I can go to set up for cithy light shots? I'm going there cold with no clue. Thanks.

Sep 11, 2012 at 09:23 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Las Vegas tips

I would think you would want the 16-35 at night for photos of the strip. IIRC, I used my 17-40 almost exclusively. F/4 shouldn't be a limitation since you'll be using a tripod and given that you will likely want a bit of DOF as well. The 50 f/1.8 would come in handy for street life however.

The bright lights and deep shadows can cause some dynamic range issues so you might bracket some of the shots for light-HDR, although most of my 0 EV came out well after tweaking in Lightroom.

I walked the strip until sunrise and managed to just barely shoot everything I wanted.

Sep 11, 2012 at 09:46 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Las Vegas tips

great, thanks! I agree with the 16-35 at night, main concern was truckin' around all night with not so much bulk

Sep 11, 2012 at 09:49 PM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Las Vegas tips

I'd say leave the 50 in the hotel a lot of the time. If your going for landscape/city type shots, use the 16-35 and tripod exclusively.

There are a lot of threads on here with different people's take on how to shoot Vegas. Worth looking at them for some ideas.

I'm coming to Vegas next week actually and will be shooting on the 19th unless one of my friends manages to join me out there.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password