Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

nick williams
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

Anyone using the new flash with the 1 D MKIV. I would love any feed back before i buy. my 580 is starting to play up a little

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:32 PM
Sizeman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

REad the online manual for the 600ex-rt. THe sync speed is only 1/125th for cameras released prior to 2012. So if that is a concern you should avoid it for now. Other with the new zoom to 200mm is great and, in my opinion, the quality of light in ETTL is much improved over the 580 and 580 II

Sep 12, 2012 at 02:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

I've been using a 600EX-RT on my 1DIV for studio photos of static subjects with no problem. It's in master mode and controlling a pair of 580EX Mk I flash. OTOH, the main reason I bought the 600EX-RT is for use with my 1DX, where teh 600EX-RT AF assist pattern is devised to work with the new 1DX AF sensor matrix pattern.

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:05 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #4 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

I have two of the 600EX-RT's and use them with my 1Ds III. I just did an outside senior portrait shoot with them, using the flash on camera to control the remote flash and it worked great! While I have not doubt they work better on the 1DX or 5D III, for what I use them for I am happy.

Sep 12, 2012 at 04:04 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #5 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

Sizeman wrote:
REad the online manual for the 600ex-rt. THe sync speed is only 1/125th for cameras released prior to 2012. So if that is a concern you should avoid it for now. Other with the new zoom to 200mm is great and, in my opinion, the quality of light in ETTL is much improved over the 580 and 580 II

That's odd. 600EX-RT sync speed with my 7D is 1/250 seconds.

Anyway, per my understanding, flash fires at really really high speed. So, the limitation of the sync speed depends on how fast your shutter curtains move. To be specific, it's how fast the second curtain has to come out before the first one goes across the frame.

I haven't seen that part of the manual, but would you mind explaining why the flash itself would limit the sync speed?

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

Sizeman wrote:
REad the online manual for the 600ex-rt. THe sync speed is only 1/125th for cameras released prior to 2012. So if that is a concern you should avoid it for now. ...

Wrong!

Wahoowa wrote:

Anyway, per my understanding, flash fires at really really high speed. So, the limitation of the sync speed depends on how fast your shutter curtains move. To be specific, it's how fast the second curtain has to come out before the first one goes across the frame.

I haven't seen that part of the manual, but would you mind explaining why the flash itself would limit the sync speed?

Good catch Wahoowa. I thought Sizeman's post about a 1/125 sec shutter speed limit was odd, but I didn't say anything, as I haven't used particularly high shutter speeds with it on my 1DIV. Since your comment, I checked the manual (nothing on this), and then tried it on the camera. My 600EX-RT works fine with the 1DIV for shutter speeds up to the camera's max of 1/300 sec. The 1DIV was first released in 2009.

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:50 PM
minatophase3
• • •
p.1 #7 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

From my understanding the sync speed is cut in half when using any camera other than the 1Dx or 5D III when using the wireless system. I don't believe the sync speed is affected when using it as a normal flash.

I also thought I had read that HSS will not work with older cameras but I didn't have a problem with it with my 1Ds III.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

minatophase3 wrote:
From my understanding the sync speed is cut in half when using any camera other than the 1Dx or 5D III when using the wireless system. I don't believe the sync speed is affected when using it as a normal flash.

I also thought I had read that HSS will not work with older cameras but I didn't have a problem with it with my 1Ds III.

I think this is Canon being overly cautious or something got lost in translation. I have had my HSS up to 1/4000 with no issue on the 600EX via radio. Syl Arena says he ran his up to 1/8000 with the 600EX-RT and STE-3 on a 5DMK2.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #9 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

If talking about radio transmission wireless system, I think that's the case and kinda make sense--slower sync speed and limitation on high speed sync.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

Wahoowa wrote:
If talking about radio transmission wireless system, I think that's the case and kinda make sense--slower sync speed and limitation on high speed sync.

Why? Radio signal is constantly maintained as per the status light, signal is still at the speed of light, and triggering signal is a simple fire message.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #11 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

jerrykur wrote:
Why? Radio signal is constantly maintained as per the status light, signal is still at the speed of light, and triggering signal is a simple fire message.

Why did I say it made sense? I just think there could be a reason for having a slower sync speed for using radio transmission. Yes, it's at the speed of light, but I think the old camera system wasn't designed to use with the new radio transmission and so there could be a lag time there.

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:10 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #12 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

There is a latency between the shutter button, and flash fire signal. Another latency between that and the signal being sent/received. Then another to fire the flash....start to add that up and you can miss the window where the very short flash burst is happening at the same time the shutter is open. A lot of the popular radio triggers from 3rd parties have sync speed limitations too.

-Brian

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:00 AM
nick williams
• •
p.1 #13 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

I think this is Canon being overly cautious or something got lost in translation. I have had my HSS up to 1/4000 with no issue on the 600EX via radio. Syl Arena says he ran his up to 1/8000 with the 600EX-RT and STE-3 on a 5DMK2.

was this with pocket wizzards or the st E3

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:51 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #14 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

jerrykur wrote:

The optical system is necessarily a unidirectional protocol (master -> slave) but a radio system can be designed as a handshaking protocol (slave can answer). As soon as you do that, you have to take account of extra processing on the master. It probably has a very slow CPU. That's my guess.

Sep 16, 2012 at 09:17 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

I did some testing with my 1DMK3 with 1/300 shutter sync and a couple of 600EXs configured as a master and remote slave.

I found what with HSS disabled at 1/160, 1/200, 1/250, and 1/300 all of the shots look the same. There is no characteristic darkening of one edge.

I also tried with HSS enabled, and this let me shoot the 1DMK3 from above 1/300 right up to 1/8000.

Jerry

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:09 PM
Masahara
• •
p.1 #16 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

jerrykur wrote:
I did some testing with my 1DMK3 with 1/300 shutter sync and a couple of 600EXs configured as a master and remote slave.

I found what with HSS disabled at 1/160, 1/200, 1/250, and 1/300 all of the shots look the same. There is no characteristic darkening of one edge.

I also tried with HSS enabled, and this let me shoot the 1DMK3 from above 1/300 right up to 1/8000.

Jerry

I did exactly the same and had exactly the same results (the flash's screen does show a warning but the photos look fine). I was very pleasantly surprised to find I wasn't facing the limit I thought I would have on a 1D Mark III. Granted, this was just test photos in the house, so other situations may vary, but so far all is good. Just can't use group mode as you can with the 5DIII and 1DX. Put another way, I'm seeing no significant functional differences from shooting the same system on a 5DIII vs a 1DIII.

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:43 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #17 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

My reading of the manual is that the sync is reduced by 1 stop on cameras before the 1DX and 5d Mk III only for radio wireless operation, and optical is not affected.

This makes sense. If the master detects a collision on its firing command packet (something else, like a microwave oven or some other wireless device, was transmittting at the same time), it has to somehow tell the camera "don't fire the shutter yet". A new camera is expecting that. An old one isn't, so they're suggesting leaving an extra stop (roughly 4ms) for retries.

Masahara's test is encouraging because a house is usually an environment with a lot of wireless devices.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:59 AM
nick williams
• •
p.1 #18 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

with MKIV and flashes in ETTL mode can you set one flash to be less powerful . so say set one to correct exposure and one to under expose by 1,2 or three stops

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:02 AM
Sizeman
• •
p.1 #19 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

Sizeman wrote:
REad the online manual for the 600ex-rt. THe sync speed is only 1/125th for cameras released prior to 2012. So if that is a concern you should avoid it for now. ...

Wrong!

Wahoowa wrote:

sorry - but Here is a screen grab from the manual - Camera's released up to 2011 - point 1. The Flash sync speed is 1 increment slower
as stated by others if you use RT and not optical it is 1/125th - try getting the master/slave to work at 100 feet outside in the daylight - won't happen. THe real advantage to the 600ex-rt is the Radio transmission - again - Read the Manual for your new toys
1. The Flash sync speed is 1 increment slower

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:30 PM
nick williams
• •
p.1 #20 · 1D MKIV and 600EX-RX flash

sorry its not, works great at 1/300 with mark IV and radio mode

Sep 28, 2012 at 09:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register