Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

I'm trying to extract more detail from my images, almost like a graphic art look to more realistic.
What methods would you sue to do this?
Also thinking about Lucis pro, as I've seen some amazing detail out of images that used this. Opinions on this as well ?

Edited on Sep 11, 2012 at 01:39 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2012 at 09:11 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Nic Color Efex Pro 4 should be looked at also the detail extractor option may be all your looking for.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM
NormanPCN
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Check out the Topaz detail plug-in. Allows independent control of small, medium and large detail. Full 30-day trail. Their presets are kinda extreme, and I don't use them, but the app works very well.

http://www.topazlabs.com/detail/

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Are you shooting raw? What processing program do you have?

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Yes shooting RAW with my Canon 20D, and now using Photoshop CS6, and still getting used to it.I also use Topaz adjust, Photomatix and Nik HDR Efex Pro2.
Mostly trying to improve detail on HDR images, which to me seemed more detailed before all the improvements.
I actually at one time processed in B/W, and then blended it with my color image, but it tended to make it look muddy..
Thats why I was wondering about Lucis Pro.

Sep 11, 2012 at 01:39 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

I have Nik Color Efex Pro and Topaz Detail... Both are good but I prefer Nik...

Sep 11, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Are you going for detail or that crunchy look?

Sep 11, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Like this by Mike Olbinski:
I really hope he doesn't mind me showing it.

http://www.mikeolbinski.com/theblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/2010-07-28-FlatIronJoshuaSunset_MG_1368_3_4_5_6_7-WU.jpg

Sep 11, 2012 at 09:16 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Thats a beautiful shot. I think it is the low angled light that is responsible for much of the detail. The look of the shot is also due to the processing. You would have to ask him.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Nik CEP4 is an amazing tool. Like WAYCOOL mentioned the detail extractor is pretty good as well as the tonal contrast filter. It's also great since you can stack filters, have easy to use control points and adjust opacity to your liking. My advice though is not to spend too much time in it as it's easy to go overboard and not realize it until much later. Nik Viveza2 is also an excellent plug-in.

How are you liking the Nik HDR2? I usually just do basic adjustments in LR3, manual blend in CS5, send back to LR3 and then do my main adjustments/sharpening/NR in Nik plug-ins and CS5. I hear Nik's HDR 2 is much better than the first especially for natural HDR...wonder how it compares to SNS-HDR.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

I was pretty impressed with the newer version of Niks Efex HDR Pro. Very easy to use, with the ability to change either the lower or upper part of the image, and control points as well. I only wish you could change the shape of the control areas. Yes you can link them together, but then again I'm still getting used to how it works, so that could be it as well.
I did ask Mike about that shot and he also said that the light helped quite a bit as well, but not much about the processing, although he mentioned he does a lot more with Luminousity masks now, which I'm not familiar with.
But that one shot is the one I use for how much detail I would like to have, and still not lose that semi natural look.
It reminds me almost of what a graphic artist might portray the scene like.
If I can get here to this level someday I would be quite satisfied.

Sep 12, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Lucis Pro is a big investment and, AFAIK, no trial is available due to the dongle factor. I own the old, standard version of Lucis but I almost never use it for landscapes.

As has been stated, there are any number of ways to enhance detail and software is one way to do it. Luminosity masks can be very useful but of course more manual labor is involved. Maybe have a look here and see what you think. If you find it confusing, ignore it, but don't give up too easily.

I have a PS Action that generates a total of 9 masks based on luminance values. I used it for most of the work on this (before and after)

http://www.pbase.com/ho72/image/145203490/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/ho72/image/145203491/original.jpg

If you want the atn file, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you. Note that I just provide the file and not tech support.

Sep 14, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

Your first image pretty much sums up most of my images, very flat, but the after shot is amazing. I had heard of contrast masking, but it seems different than luminosity masking.
I read through your tutorial, but I think I might have to read it quite a few times, before I can get it down.
I wouldn't care If I put 8 hours into an image If i could make it look like I wanted it to.
I think I run or should I say could run into trouble in your last must read paragraph, about knowing where and when to do it.
I'll have to look at your site more an see what I can learn. I hope its a lot more, I really am tired of everyone calling all my images flat. I think they could all be so much more.
Thanks for the help.

Sep 14, 2012 at 09:45 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

First, thanks for the comment on my image. Luminosity masking is simply a way to selectively alter contrast and tone, so it can be called contrast masking. This may be an oversimplification, but it applies to what I'm doing with the masks.

Second, a correction. The website I linked to is not mine, it's the work of Hougaard Malan, who was inspired by Tony Kuyper. My contribution was to simply create a Photoshop action based on their work.

Having the action makes it a simple matter, relatively speaking, to experiment. The "knowing" comes from doing, seeing what works -- where and why. If most of your images seem flat to you then you should have ample material on which to practice. Run the action on all of them. If nothing else, the channel called "mids" will let you boost and sharpen (if desired) the midrange values of the images without altering the shadows and highlights. You'll also find the action is very useful for blending multiple exposures, as in my Oglebay image above.

I also recommend the demo of Color Efex Pro 4. I sometimes use it in process or as the finishing touch. Good luck and have some fun.

Sep 15, 2012 at 05:03 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

My problem is I created the selection, but when I try and load them and change it it changes the whole image, eve though the marching ants or on the screen. When I create a duplicate layer it just looks the same as the original, not the checkered background thats shown.

Sep 15, 2012 at 02:06 PM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trying to get more detail. Maybe Lucis Pro ?

With one of the luminosity channels selected (control click it) you can click back on the main layer in the layers palette and then create a curves adjustment layer. This curves adjustment layer will only effect what the luminosity channel is masking. Another tutorial of the same thing (nudity):
http://www.thewonderoflight.com/articles/2011/self-intersecting-luminosity-masks/

I'd also recommend Color Efex. Tonal contrast is superior to Lucis Pro in my opinion.

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.