Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Please help with settings on D800

tm0000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Please help with settings on D800

I'm really confused with some autofocus settings. What are the best settings for shooting toddlers?

First of all, under AF-area modes what should I have it set to? Should I set it to d9, d21, d51 or 3d?

And in custom menu a7 - Number of focus points, how many should I set that to?

What is the difference between these two? Please please help!
I'm sorry if I'm not making sense.

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:23 AM
James Burden
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Please help with settings on D800

Try asking in your other thread regarding the same thing?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1146322/0#10937645

Sep 11, 2012 at 09:56 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Please help with settings on D800

...guess he didn't like THOSE answers, James

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM
tm0000

p.1 #4 · Please help with settings on D800

I'm sorry about asking the same questions but I'm really confused.

When I press the button in the center of the AF/M switch, and turn the dials should I set this to AF-C and 3d tracking?
And under the custom menu a7 should I set it to.. say 11 focus points active, Does this sound right for shooting toddlers?

I'm sorry about the confusion and thanks to all that commented!

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:47 AM
tm0000

p.1 #5 · Please help with settings on D800

Can someone please clarify this?

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:47 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Please help with settings on D800

I'll try. AF-C and a7 set to AF11. Forget about 3D...or any more points for that matter, for what you're shooting.
You can move that 'cluster' all over the VF for better composition. The AF will have a much easier time of it the
less crap you throw at it. I enjoy an obscene keeper rate shootin' roughstock/horses/BIF and they all move faster
than any kid I've known. Read over the manual a couple of times and then with some trial and error you should
be able to dial it in to what works best for you. Took me 1500 actuations to nail mine down, and I'm a quick study.
Lots of other "tweaks" that can help you out...I think rear button AF is a must for things that move, a3 to OFF or
Short, as well as the painfully obvious choice to use f2.8 or faster glass. Hope you find something here to help.

Cheap plug: I'll be finalizing my D800 'monkey set after next weeks wedding, and it'll soon be available for a beer.
Dozens of happy campers with my D7K set, a new AF that also gave many fits. I do the work, so you won't have to.
Yeah, I could write a book...but prefer to spend my time shootin'/drinkin'/chasin' women and postin' here.
(often, all in the same day)

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

scorpio1
• • •
p.1 #7 · Please help with settings on D800

trenchmonkey wrote:
I'll try. AF-C and a7 set to AF11. Forget about 3D...or any more points for that matter, for what you're shooting.
You can move that 'cluster' all over the VF for better composition. The AF will have a much easier time of it the
less crap you throw at it. I enjoy an obscene keeper rate shootin' roughstock/horses/BIF and they all move faster
than any kid I've known. Read over the manual a couple of times and then with some trial and error you should
be able to dial it in to what works best for you. Took me 1500 actuations to nail
...Show more

LMAO!! TM for President.

Sep 13, 2012 at 09:13 PM
tm0000

p.1 #8 · Please help with settings on D800

Thank you very much for your help trenchmonkey. I truly appreciate it.

When I press the button in the center of the AF/M and turn the rear dial I get choices of either AF-C or AF-s, but when I keep the button pressed and turn the FRONT dial I get some options like auto,s,d9,d21 etc... What should I set this to? Is this the same as setting the AF points in the menu?

Thanks again!

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:11 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Please help with settings on D800

My pleasure! I'd set it to 9-point dynamic-area AF

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:35 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Please help with settings on D800

trenchmonkey wrote:
be able to dial it in to what works best for you. Took me 1500 actuations to nail
...Show more

Were not worthy....Were not worthy.....Were not worthy.....!!!!!

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Please help with settings on D800

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #12 · Please help with settings on D800

tag

Sep 15, 2012 at 02:46 AM