Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sea cloud

scottiedds

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sea cloud

What can I do to make this better ?

Sea cloud

Sep 11, 2012 at 02:33 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Sea cloud

I like the concept. Can you post the original

I took out some of the saturation and tossed some selective sharpening/blur. Cloned out the ship, etc.

Edited on Sep 11, 2012 at 04:56 AM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2012 at 02:57 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #3 · Sea cloud

I would do some heavy cropping. The two people make the image interesting but the right side of the image is pretty boring.

Also I would try for better recovery of the whites especially in the lower left. It looks like you should be able to pull a lot out. Maybe create a duplicate and use multiply with a mask. But first I would try recovery assuming you have a raw file to work with.

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:04 AM
scottiedds

p.1 #4 · Sea cloud

Nice edit Rusty, thanks !!! But I kinda like the ship in there :-) I will look for the original tomorrow, on my laptop, it's somewhere on my desktop.

@Jim, the overexposure on the lower left was intentional to give the cloudy feeling from the water with a 1 second exposure.

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Sea cloud

Thanks.

I debated @ the ship, but opted for the "clean" line just to show it as an option ... not necessarily a preference.

But, I asked myself ... what was the point of the pic, and I came away with it being about the couple ... and them dreaming at what lay beyond the horizon as they began their journey together.

Edited on Sep 11, 2012 at 04:18 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Sea cloud

In PS, I'd suggest crop from the top. Play with Shadows/Highlights to mine detail from the shadows and pull back semi-blown highlights to recover water and cloud detail. Add a color balance layer with the highlights given a red bump to reduce the cyan cast. Maybe add a little vignette.

Sep 11, 2012 at 06:17 AM
scottiedds

p.1 #7 · Sea cloud

Thanks Aunti, can you show how you did that? I like it alot!!!

Sep 11, 2012 at 06:57 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Sea cloud

Didn't record the steps, but here's a reconstruction using Photoshop. Notice the selection for the Shadows/Highlights adjustment includes everything except the subjects. )Might be OK to include them and apply the adjustment to the whole frame.) Also note the adjustments and layer selections that limit where the layer adjustments are applied.

Sep 11, 2012 at 08:33 AM
scottiedds

p.1 #9 · Sea cloud

Thanks!!! Wow, this seems complicated !!!

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password