Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Google Wallet

anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Google Wallet

Any of you all used Google Wallet? What is it? How does it work? Is it an alternative to PayPal? What "protections" are built in, i.e, to "safeguard" the transaction? I'm beginning to see this as payment option more frequently here, and, of course, I "googled" it, but that's akin to asking a loan shark for advice on interest rates

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Google Wallet

Google Wallet (used to be Checkout) is, for me, an alternative to PP. To be a seller, i.e., to collect money, you sign up an become a Merchant (minimal but not zero hassle) and link to a bank account. You can then invoice items and take credit card payments. Google will due some amount of diligence to insure the credit card used for the transaction is not bogus. Fees are about what PP charges.

Two complaints:

Initially there is a limit on payouts which I think is $500 per month. Also, after you have a transaction or two, Google will send you an email demanding various forms of business collateral, the purpose of which is to prove to them you are a business. Why they don't do this at sign-up is a mystery to me, but they don't unless their procedure has changed. At any rate, I'm not a business. I buy and sell camera equipment as part of the hobby of photography. I explained this to them and they settled for a copy of my driver's license, with my picture (fully) and DL # (partially) redacted.

More info here.

Sep 11, 2012 at 08:39 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Google Wallet

thanks, Ho1972, think I'll pass on this one too

tony

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Google Wallet

There is plenty of information on Google Wallet from neutral sources as can be found in ALL Google links. The distrust here is amazing, even with nationally recognized corporations like Google.... you know, the people who linked you here.

Google is ranked 73rd of the Fortune 500. I doubt they are in the same class as loan sharks. "Wallet" is just the new name of an older Google product. Read the Wikipedia link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Wallet

I "googled" it, but that's akin to asking a loan shark for advice on interest rates

Sep 11, 2012 at 03:21 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Google Wallet

well, sir, when one's military records, social security #, credit card account #'s etc., get ripped off, and you have worked with law enforcement for the better part of 20 years, and have evaluated 70+ defendants in criminal homicide cases, you can bet your sweet bippy I'm distrustful.

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

borderlight
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Google Wallet

Let me know if Google ripped you off, or was one of your defendants. I will wag my finger at them vigorously, and to the full extent of the law if that happened to you.

"Sweet Bippy" Haha.. Laugh-in (Joanne Worley if memory serves)

Sep 11, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Google Wallet

anthonysemone wrote:
thanks, Ho1972, think I'll pass on this one too

tony

Let me know if you find a better solution. For now Google is working for me.

FWIW, I absolutely refuse to do business with those who offer no alternative to PP.

Sep 11, 2012 at 05:22 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Google Wallet

Small dollar items I don't have an issue with PP. Large dollar items, while I've not been burned by PP as a buyer, the incidents reported here and elsewhere with respect to PP from a seller's point of view are more than I want to deal with. So far the best experiences I've had involved accepting/sending personal checks from buyers/sellers here on FM whom I've come to know by way of my participation on (especially) the Nikon FM board or where I've had occasion to "meet" them by commenting upon their contributions on other Boards. Cross-shipping in those cases has for the vast majority of transactions reduced the time for shipping etc. Others' mileage may vary.

Sep 11, 2012 at 06:00 PM
jordanS

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Google Wallet

Google Wallet makes it simple to leave without having to make sure that youíre carrying all of your credit cards, and thatís a big part of the current trend toward a cashless society. The question now is, will Google Wallet replace the conventional wallet?
Google Wallet?

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password