Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Spy Versus Spy

Bearmann
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spy Versus Spy

I put a 100-400 lens up for sale on my local Craigslist. Scammer A contacts me and tells me he needs the lens urgently for his son's wedding which is in 5 days. He's going to send me my asking price plus over $100 in shipping fees. Scammer B also contacts me with an interest in the lens.

So here is what I did. I told Scammer A that I was unable to pack and send the lens on such short notice. However, due to the urgency of the situation, I gave the lens to my cousin, Scammer B, who will take care of the transaction. I provided him Scammer B's email address and of course, wished him a hearty congratulations on his son's wedding.

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:05 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spy Versus Spy

haha. good one. Maybe next time you can get into a 3 way with them.

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:12 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spy Versus Spy

I don't get it

A agrees to pay the asking price plus $100. If PayPal approves the transaction A is not a scammer.

If A suggests "ship the lens COD Cash" A is not a scammer.

Why Craigslist if you don't trust the audience

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spy Versus Spy

Who needs a 100-400 for their son's wedding? Not a wedding lens generally. Who shoots their son's wedding? Why would they wait 5 days before the wedding to look for what they need? Why would someone in Maine answer my Memphis Craigslist ad? Why would they suggest paypal when I told them it was cash only? Are there not fake Paypal sites? I don't need to be a weatherman to see which way the wind is blowing.

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spy Versus Spy

Psychic1 wrote:
I don't get it

Pay Fred and sell on FM Maybe someone here will PM you about the lens. Clever

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spy Versus Spy

Oh, actually I might if it doesn't sell locally. Not my intention at all though. Only mentioned the type of lens because it relates to wedding usage.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Masahara
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spy Versus Spy

I had a similar expirence recently on Ebay and the lesson learned is to just sell here on FM from now on. Every time I put a lens up I got a buy it now message within seconds of posting the auction with additional instructions from someone with an account created the same day with zero feedback (this happened multiple times) and who's request for more of my information was in especially broken english that just didn't add up. One of them stated the lens was for their son but none of my replies were answered with anything other than requests for my personal information from accounts created the same day. Edit : forgot to mention it was all out of country addresses every time which I specified not to ship to.

In reading a little further it looks like even if they have sent paypal (in this case at least) they still have a month or so to dispute the transaction and the money could be yanked from your checking account if Paypal sides with them. Not sure if that's a just ebay thing or not but either way I know what you mean !

Like I said, I'm just sticking to FM buy and sell from now on

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:01 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spy Versus Spy

Psychic1 wrote:

+1, if no trust in Craiglist there is always FM with ratings and known people all over.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:37 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spy Versus Spy

I only shop for lenses at Fred's Buy and Sell. ....I honestly couldn't tell you the retail price of some of the lenses I've looked at, I only know what they go for used.

Same goes for selling, as my needs have changed I've always had great luck selling here, so nice to be able to avoid eBay and Craigslist.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chumma
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spy Versus Spy

Bearmann wrote:
Who needs a 100-400 for their son's wedding?

May be the father and the son are not on speaking terms and the father needs a long lens to maintain the distance.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spy Versus Spy

There's only one way to use craigslist. A person meets you with cash in hand. Do the deal. Game over.

Sep 10, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spy Versus Spy

Jeffrey wrote:
There's only one way to use craigslist. A person meets you with cash in hand. Do the deal. Game over.

Yep, that's the plan!

Sep 10, 2012 at 07:31 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spy Versus Spy

Bearmann wrote:
I put a 100-400 lens up for sale on my local Craigslist. Scammer A contacts me and tells me he needs the lens urgently for his son's wedding which is in 5 days. He's going to send me my asking price plus over $100 in shipping fees. Scammer B also contacts me with an interest in the lens.

So here is what I did. I told Scammer A that I was unable to pack and send the lens on such short notice. However, due to the urgency of the situation, I gave the lens to my cousin, Scammer B, who
...Show more

I like that.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spy Versus Spy

I had some fun with a Nigerian a few weeks ago. Read on if you'd like a laugh. Usually I pass on a reply, because these scams stink like three-day old sushi, but in this case, I decided some fun was on order.

Sunmex is the scammer. I am the <redacted> address. I reversed the order so it reads chronologically.

=================================================
> -----Original Message-----
> From: sunmex yes <sunmexyes001@gmail.com>
> Sent: July 14, 2012 19:24
> To: redacted2@sale.craigslist.org
> Subject: redacted
Date: 2012-07-14, 5:47PM PDT Reply to:
>
> i want to buy it get back to me

> From: <redacted>
> Sent: July 14, 2012 19:52
> To: sunmexyes001@gmail.com
> Subject: redacted
>
> Sunmex,
>
> Send me your phone number and I will call you.

> From: sunmex yes <sunmexyes001@gmail.com>
> Sent: July 14, 2012 20:20
> To: redacted
> Subject: Re: redacted
>
> Thanks for your mail,what is the conditions of it?i am buying the item for my cousin who work in oversea.i will add $20 for taking down the add and $80
...Show more

Obviously, the humor is only relevant to me and the scammer could care less. But I felt better spinning the yarn, and stringing him/her/it along for a little bit. I wish they would have risen to the bait and responded with a little more than "are you on your way to post" [sic]

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spy Versus Spy

That reads like a theatre play.......fun, fun, fun.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spy Versus Spy

Good one, sirimiri

Sep 11, 2012 at 01:18 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Spy Versus Spy

So were you on your way to post

Sep 11, 2012 at 02:15 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Spy Versus Spy

Nice story. They don't know how to continue on with their scam if you "play them".

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password