New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

One of two things will have to happen for me to 'upgrade' from my D700.
1) I become a better photographer than my 700 is a camera.
2) It craps out on me.

#1 ain't gonna' happen anytime soon that's for sure.
#2 I'd seriously consider getting it fixed depending on what broke or even buy another used one

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:44 AM
labowman22

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Well....if you decide to see your D700, let me know. I am looking for a used one

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:11 AM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

D600

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:44 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

D600

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

FWIW, the d3s is a sweet upgrade from the d700. It's cleaner at all ISOs, but progressively so, the higher up the ISO ladder that you go, the more difference there is. But, I've not used a d800 or d600, so I can't offer a comparison opinion to either of those bodies.

Kerry

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:33 PM
SebastianS
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Kell wrote:
One of two things will have to happen for me to 'upgrade' from my D700.
1) I become a better photographer than my 700 is a camera.
2) It craps out on me.

#1 ain't gonna' happen anytime soon that's for sure.
#2 I'd seriously consider getting it fixed depending on what broke or even buy another used one

Thank you for all the comments. Basically, I found myself jeopardizing my shooting because I was reluctant to shoot at ISO 6400+ so I was getting more blurry photos than I would like.

Hence, the D3s became appealing. The only things keeping me from flat out purchasing one is (1) the low resolution compared to other cameras and (2) the 720 video.

I don't use video, well, because the D700 doesn't have it. I used it a little on the 5d2 and enjoyed it.

The D600 is not appealing because of its lack of dedicated AF-on button, half-magnesium construction, lack of a PC sync, and low flash sync speed.

Changing topics-
In looking at the DxO pages, it looks like the 5D3 has about equal ISO to the D700, and is less tolerant to push/pull exposure. Can anyone confirm this? I really appreciate how well my D700 can push exposure without too many bad effects.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Compared to the D700 the D800 and D3s are the obvious upgrades.

The D800 gives much more resolution with slightly less high-ISO DR but the D3s gives the same 12Mpx resolution and much better high-ISO DR.

The D800 can match the D3s for high-ISO DR only by dumbing the images down to lower resolution than the native 36Mpx. That involves extra work and perhaps extra storage (especially if you shoot raw and use Lightroom, because the downsampled images will have to be newly exported files in addition to the raw files).

If you never make large prints then you don't need 36Mpx and can afford to use 12Mpx downsampled images. However, that is not the same as using 12Mpx crops from a 36Mpx image, which would be the worst of both worlds (no resolution improvement and no DR improvement).

You mentioned the dedicated AF-On button. For me it is not such a great issue. I don't use it because if I want to use VR to get a better viewfinder image or Live View image then I have to press the shutter button to activate the AF. It does the AF too but if I had to use the AF-On button for AF then I would have to be using both buttons to get the VR and AF working at the same time. Too inconvenient. Canon does not have that problem because the AF-On button also activates the IS.

On another usability matter, the Nikons can let you lock shutter speed and aperture as required for a shot and vary the ISO for the correct exposure. You can apply exposure compensation too. The Canons cannot do this auto-ISO in M mode. It lets you freeze the action and control the DOF and automatically get the lowest ISO that works. S and A modes need you to set an ISO and are more likely to result in the wrong DOF or the wrong shutter speed.

It has been reported here on FM by a member whose name I forget (perhaps it was sjms) that you can expect improved high-ISO DR from the D800 if you underexpose at low-ISO rather than increase the ISO. I have seen no tests to verify this perhaps because it's not something that most people would normally think of doing with a high-ISO camera. If it is correct and if your software lets you recover sufficiently with exposure boosts (I think that Lightroom is limited to 5 stops exposure adjustment) then the D800 could be even more attractive than it already is to many people.

When looking at the DxO charts (because the summary scores are almost useless and quite misleading) don't forget to try both the print and screen versions. The print versions are for equal resolutions and the screen versions are at the maximum resolution of the cameras.

- Alan

Oct 06, 2012 at 03:31 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.