FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

SebastianS
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Hello-

For several years now I have shot a D700 and a myriad of lenses, eventually settling on some basic primes. The 35/2 is essentially glued onto my camera, and I make do with also including a Sigma 85/1.4 and the Nikon 16-35/4 for travel. Those three lenses make up 95% of my images. For Nikon mount I also own a Sigma 150/2.8, Sigma 50/1.4, Sigma 24/1.8, Tokina 90/2.5, and a beat up Nikon 55/2.8 Macro.

On the Canon side, I own a 5d2 and 35/1.4, 135/2, and 45 TSE.

I do not (personally) feel the need for 1.2 glass, and I really really like the Sigma lineup for the 1.4 lenses.

---

I am torn between the two systems... On Nikon's hand, I really like the build quality and weatherproofing and the low light performance in focusing and ISO. I use the intervalometer often and I rarely use the popup flash (including commander mode). I don't care one way or another for the burst speed.

On Canon's hand I like the greater resolution for times I need to crop heavily, and I like the color renditions. I don't trust the low light performance (in both ISO and focusing). I also don't trust the build quality and weatherproofing.

I enjoy portraiture and candid work in dim natural lighting, but will occasionally dip into strobed work mainly when studying how to light people or interiors creatively. Lately I find myself shooting around ISO3200 and 6400 around f/2 and 1/10s, and just generally wanting more performance in low light

---

So my question today is - I would appreciate some advice when desiring an upgrade in systems. I plan on obviously selling off one hand completely but my main motivation factors are low light performance, ability to push or pull exposure with minimal banding, and weatherproofing.

I realize I asked this in a Nikon forum and I would consider myself a primarily Nikon shooter... but perhaps you could lend some insight into the offerings of both companies? D3S? D800? Canon 5D3?

The D4 and 1D-x are too out of my range ;-)

Thank you kindly
Sebastian

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

I still reach for my D700 90% of the time. It produces amazing photos. Still the main squeeze out of my D800, D700,D7000,Olympus OMD EM5....

Edited on Sep 10, 2012 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Well, yes - this is Nikon country - sell all the Canon stuff, the D700....and get a D4 or D800 / 800e. I loved my D700 but the D800 focusing is even better and faster and the resolution can't be touched for the price.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM
ja_joyce
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

I think either a D3s or D4 would be an upgrade in high ISO. Perhaps a D800, which would give you a bunch more pixels, and better low light performance with down sampling.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Keep your D700, push your iso till maximun and use B/W for the real high isoos.
http://62.238.25.29/CarolYn%20Wonderland@Iron%20Horse%20Northampton%2020111019/slides/carolyn%20wonderland%20012.jpg

Carolyn Wonderland Iron Horse
D700 85mm f2.2 1/124 12800 iso exposure is short, because of the very inconvenient position of the camera and her movements.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Awesome Grey picture with a Blue box and question mark! How can I get my D700 to do that?

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Peter Bui
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

If you want a resolution increase and better high ISO and pushing of shadows and such then the D800 has what you need with one caveat: make sure you get a body without any AF problems, especially since you are using wide primes which make that issue more apparent.

The 5D3 is also good, but of course you probably know it has issues with banding when pushing shadows at higher ISO levels. If this has not been a problem for you with the 5D2, then it won't be for the 5D3. Of course the 5D3 is $500 more expensive than a D800...

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:10 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

What is holding you back with the D700? What is limiting with the D700 for you to consider upgrading?

If you want high detail large file with strong ISO performance, the D800 is great. Although with the raft of issues as Thom Hogan say "Not Recommended" until Nikon addresses the QA problems.

If you value flexible fast reacting FF camera with top flight AF and great ergonomics the 5d3 is excellent. How weird... top-flight AF and 5D in the same sentence. Hahah... But it's true. Even long time Nikon fanboy KR prefers it over the d800.

Based on your photography style of candid protraits, I think the 5d3 will suit you better. But it is Nikon forum and to be consistent with my fanboy message. Better take up brush and paper than touch the vile revolting Canon!

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:12 PM
patriot
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

The AF in the D800 is improved vs. the D700, and in real world use I would have to agree. I shoot a fair amount of low light\high ISO (theater and dance), and have found the D800 gives me more "keepers" that my D700 did in tough lighting. The ability to crop in tighter, and the greater room for post processing are also on the plus side.

There is the dreaded left bank AF defect, but no one really knows how many are effected. Just by the amount of new reports of the defect on new bodies, it seem that Nikon may have corrected the defect on the manufacturing side. On the repair side, still seems to be a mixed bag, at least as far as what is reported on web sites.
If you user your outer AF points in single shot mode, the defect, if you get a body with that, is more troublesome. People who do not use outer AF's and fast wide glass may have no idea if their camera has it, and are happy with it "as is".

Mine has the defect, was sent to Melville, and has been "fixed". By "fixed", I mean the I have consistent AF between left and right banks, but a significant front focus. This seems to me a common post-fix result. I'm waiting for a more comprehensive fix before sending it back in.

I would not hesitate to get a D800 today, but would suggest you buy from a retailer that does not recycle returns, as you may be more likely to get a defective D800 that has been returned. People who report getting several defective units from the same dealer I suspect are getting recycled returns. If you can, try to get a current serial number from the dealer, since the newest ones may be defect free.

Sep 11, 2012 at 06:02 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Nice, low mile D3s perhaps?!

Sep 11, 2012 at 06:21 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

From what you're saying, you're a D800 customer. I'd let them sort it all out first...

I'm not a glass expert, but it sounds like you could consolidate substantially - keep your core three, and get rid of the rest for upgraded glass in a couple spots or just bank any leftover for a need you discover after going to the D800.

Personally, I'd love a D3s, but if you like lots of resolution to crop, the D800 is the deal.

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:00 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

trenchmonkey wrote:
Nice, low mile D3s perhaps?!

+1 with the monkey

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:38 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Wait and see what the D600 offers?

I have a D700 and personally feel the D800 is overkill for me, so am interested to see what the D600 offers

Sep 11, 2012 at 08:51 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

M635_Guy wrote:
From what you're saying, you're a D800 customer. I'd let them sort it all out first...

I'm not a glass expert, but it sounds like you could consolidate substantially - keep your core three, and get rid of the rest for upgraded glass in a couple spots or just bank any leftover for a need you discover after going to the D800.

Personally, I'd love a D3s, but if you like lots of resolution to crop, the D800 is the deal.

Too much glass is not possible.

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Still Bill
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Just reading your post in general terms:
-you like Nikon's build quality (heft/feel?) and weatherproofing
-you want increased resolution to crop heavily
-low-light performance is a top priority (IQ/high ISO and/or DR especially)
-ability to push exposures in post without banding is important
-frame rate is not important
Sounds just like a D800 to me.

Sep 12, 2012 at 04:59 AM
SebastianS
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

Thanks for all the replies-

The reason I am looking to change / wanting more is because I find myself pushing the limits of the low light capability, basically. I hover around ISO3200 very often and have some nice shots just a little movement blur. It's probably a bit of gear lust built in though...

The cropping issues I have convinced myself its probably from me shooting primes when I travel. If I had a zoom like a 24-70 I would likely crop less, but I have fallen into a nice 'niche' shooting primes that forces composition and the need to crop is probably driven by laziness when shooting.

I am really drawn towards the d3s but wish it had just slightly more resolution!

How does the D3S compare to the D800 when push/pulling exposure?

How do I ensure I don't get a bunk copy of the D800?

When people say 'the D800 is just a little too much' what are they referring to, simply resolution?

Sep 12, 2012 at 08:49 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

D3s is a legend but seems like a poor value to me seeing what it goes for used.

D800 is one of the few items I've ever seen that even new, seems like a good value for what it offers - I wouldn't be concerned about getting a 'bunk copy' since it will be under warranty and if you do you can get it taken care of.

I think when they say it's a bit much they are talking about resolution and file size, but I don't get that - you know what you're buying. Heck, I wish it was 360mp - you can downres any time you want from before the shot to post processing if you want to save HDD space - as long as it's usable mp I don't understand the gripes, and when you nail a really great shot how can you have too much resolution?

But if you live at 3200 and shoot a lot of bursts you will probably be happier with a D4 or D3s - not enough high iso experience with the D800 yet for me, although the low light focusing is awesome. IMO though, you are risking more in terms of resale value a ways down the road. If you 'rent' gear from buy/sell and CL as I do, shooting with it for a number of months and then moving on before you lose much $

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM
treacle
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

At this point wait a few days and see what drops around Photokina. The rumored D600 sounds like it would be good for you.

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:38 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

I have a similar quandary as a D700 user. The cameras in my price range, the D800 or used D3s, would improve the quality of my images, but in different ways.

Looking at your images on Flickr, I see a lot of daylight landscape photography where the D800 would make a lot of sense, but given the interest you’re expressing in high ISO photography, that says D3s. Given the locations where you shoot, that also says pro-body D3s.

Sep 13, 2012 at 09:11 AM
LXShooter
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D700 shooter looking for upgrade

SebastianS wrote:
When people say 'the D800 is just a little too much' what are they referring to, simply resolution?

File size my friend. You will hear your computer grind if you haven't upgraded.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.