New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · are tripods overrated?

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · are tripods overrated?

The only time my tripod isn't with me, is when I'm scuba diving. Even then I'm tempted... lol

Sep 23, 2012 at 08:13 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · are tripods overrated?

BenV wrote:
The only time my tripod isn't with me, is when I'm scuba diving. Even then I'm tempted... lol

The marching band scene of "Take the money and run" comes to my mind

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · are tripods overrated?

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Half way up the mountain I hate mine as well.

half way up a mountain i'm generally not to impressed with me not so much the gear i'm carrying

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:12 AM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · are tripods overrated?

sjms wrote:
half way up a mountain i'm generally not to impressed with me not so much the gear i'm carrying

There are hiking sticks that dual as monopods. If all you need is 4-5 stops of stabilisation, a monopod gets you there most of the time.

In addition I also carry a pocket tripod just in case I feel like doing a long exposure.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM
capt don
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · are tripods overrated?

I for one find my tripods bulky and always in the way BUT, i'm never without one. I have several shots that i've sold that I would never have gotten without the steadieness of the tripod. Plus as an added feature if your shooting in a dicey area they make a great defense weapon.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:22 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · are tripods overrated?

Just like lightweight cameras with their agility "free up creativity" so does a camera that makes you slow down. And so does a tripod that makes you stop. People think of tripods as limiting because they may prevent you from moving around your subject (say a person) and trying different angles or whatever. However most of the time think of tripods as limiting because they have to carry them and set them up, especially if they have a really crappy cheap one.

On the other hand a tripod allows you to setup the camera and then interact with whatever it is you are photographing, move around without the camera, look at the light, setup the light, think about what you want to do without trying to frame at the same time and peeping through the viewfinder and they also allow you to try angles that your arms/neck can't do.

A tripod is for so much more than slow exposures and sharpness. So just like anything else a tripod is as creative as the person using it.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:33 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · are tripods overrated?

Chez, could you post one of those ten second motion shots of a basketball player making a dunk?
Thanks

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:05 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · are tripods overrated?

Tripods are not overrated IMO and it an important tool that should be part of almost every photographers toolbox.

Oct 10, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · are tripods overrated?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Tripods are underrated (IMO). No other accessory or equipment can make such difference in sharpness, IQ and composition for a few hundred dollars.

+1. My Gitzo 1325cf and AcraTech ballhead have now seen five camera bodies come & go since I bought them new about ten years ago. The tripod holds the camera still so I can better concentrate on composition.

Kent in SD

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · are tripods overrated?

Until Cameras have IS that can keep the shot still from 1/10th second to oohhh about 30 minutes. Then I'll have to rely on a tripod

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · are tripods overrated?

If you're trying to squeeze every last ounce of IQ out of your camera, the necessity of a tripod depends on the camera.

12MP on a FF35 sensor? Maybe redundant with decent shutter speeds and steady hands.

36MP on a FF35 sensor? Good luck with that.

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:11 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · are tripods overrated?

Lee Saxon wrote:
If you're trying to squeeze every last ounce of IQ out of your camera, the necessity of a tripod depends on the camera.

12MP on a FF35 sensor? Maybe redundant with decent shutter speeds and steady hands.

36MP on a FF35 sensor? Good luck with that.

you neglected to take in account the following datapoint:
age and its sub point:
physical condition

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:13 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · are tripods overrated?

sjms wrote:
you neglected to take in account the following datapoint:
age and its sub point:
physical condition

I was trying to be polite, but that's what I meant by "and steady hands" (although I'm young and I don't have super steady hands)

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · are tripods overrated?

true and i wish mine were.

Oct 11, 2012 at 09:28 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · are tripods overrated?

The tripod is one of those things that you only buy once and use it forever. Yes, carrying one can be a hassle, but it sucks more if the shot you want requires one and you don't have it.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · are tripods overrated?

DontShoot wrote:
The tripod is one of those things that you only buy once and use it forever. Yes, carrying one can be a hassle, but it sucks more if the shot you want requires one and you don't have it.

If forever is 3-5 years, then maybe.

EBH

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · are tripods overrated?

the proper term should be "if you buy it right you CAN use it forever". this of course has nothing to do with ones inability to control ones urges

Oct 12, 2012 at 05:31 AM
robstein
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · are tripods overrated?

I'm in the hate them camp - and as a mostly portrait guy, I don't use them a lot - but it's nonsense to say they are unnecessary for SOME types of shots. I think the line has moved a little but not for what most of use use sticks for..... All else been equal... more stable is just better.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Chrissearle
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · are tripods overrated?

I dont think I have particularly shaky hands but am surprised at just how much difference there is between handholding and a tripod even at quite high shutter speeds. My experiments have also lead me to conclude that there is also a significant difference between a medium priced and a high priced tripod if ultimate sharpness is required, funny how people spend thousands on the sharpest possible lens and then baulk at the cost of a really good tripod. For landscape and macro they are simply indispensable.

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:03 AM
orcastu

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · are tripods overrated?

Having just returned from a travel shoot I am beginning to question it myself. I used it only one day out of seven for an early morning shoot and then once for an evening shoot. I have found that my 5D3 is so good in low light I am needing it a lot less than ever before for basic shots.

The tripod still gives me the best shots for what I like to shoot but I use it less and less. It allows for creativity to sore compared to a handheld.

I also agree that by setting it up it allows me to take in the scene better and get the best shots especially with a longer lens.

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:15 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.