New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Flowers

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flowers

I have not posted recently..had my camera and favorite lens stolen and am in the process of replacing them. Today I tried out my new camera body with my old macro lens. This is my idea of botanical photography although based on past experience I know my style is not very popular. I call it bug's eye view photography. I tried to post a red (or orangish), a white, a blue and finally a magenta flower. All were taken in a relative's yard, handheld. Some with remote flash also handheld.

Mill Valley Red

Mill Valley White

Mill Valley Blue

Mill Valley Magenta

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flowers

Major Bummer @ camera/lens loss.

Diggin' the form & texture of the Mill Valley White.

The Blue version reminds me of some from my "Pistils & Petals" a few years back. I'm good with the "bug's eye view" in the Red one, but not diggin' the Magenta so much.

Edited on Sep 09, 2012 at 11:55 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flowers

Too much "dirt" in the magenta??

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flowers

The dirt ... and it kinda reminds me of looking at a dye stained slide under the microscope when I was a kid ... if that makes any sense.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flowers

RustyBug wrote:
The dirt ... and it kinda reminds me of looking at a dye stained slide under the microscope when I was a kid ... if that makes any sense.

Better?

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flowers

Or if you don't like the color.........

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flowers

I like the color and forms and three dimensionality. Maybe some PP tweaks to add some snap? Gaudy can be good.

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:14 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flowers

Very nice improvement. I especially like the apparent improvement in sharpness. How??

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:26 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flowers

Lots of fiddling. Increasing contrast selectively mimics greater sharpness - bumping the mid-tone contrast with USM at 16, 60, 0, for example. Selective sharpening with the sharpening tool or selecting areas and then applying the smart sharpen would probably be better, especially working on the original, but I did it Q & D to illustrate.

Sep 10, 2012 at 02:51 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flowers

The 1st and 3rd work best for me. Macro is about detail and those have more detail in the subject itself. The 2nd is not bad, but there is too much light yellow areas.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flowers

ben egbert wrote:
.... Macro is about detail ......

I am not sure why macro would be about detail more than any other form of photography. Sometimes subtle is good and sharp focus is extraneous. I liked #2 because is was soft and subtle but then I whimped out and used Topaz Simplify to add sharp edges to the image. I actually like this one with soft edges and hazy focus but I could already hear the comments from other photographers. We often struggle to avoid softness so it can be hard to appreciate a soft and low contrast image.

Sep 10, 2012 at 04:06 PM
HiredGoon
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flowers

I like these shots, Jim ... lots of colour and form ... makes me wish for a macro lens.

I like the retouched #1. I wish #2 was not so grainy, but love the flow of the lines. #3 could use a wee crop to remove the upper-left corner. Love the colour in #4 but not fond of the dirt, etc.

[viewing with Safari for Windows, 27" monitor, Spyder 4 Pro for calibration]

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:47 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flowers

Camperjim wrote:
I am not sure why macro would be about detail more than any other form of photography. Sometimes subtle is good and sharp focus is extraneous. I liked #2 because is was soft and subtle but then I whimped out and used Topaz Simplify to add sharp edges to the image. I actually like this one with soft edges and hazy focus but I could already hear the comments from other photographers. We often struggle to avoid softness so it can be hard to appreciate a soft and low contrast image.

If ya don't want detail, you could use a normal lens and just crop. Look at the third image. You can see the texture on the surface. That is what I like in a flower shot. No texture is more like a water color. ok, but a different style.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:30 PM
sadja
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flowers

These are all nice, particularly Mill Valley White.

Sep 11, 2012 at 09:46 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.