Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · King Caprese

earthallen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · King Caprese

Here is my reshoot of a previous attempt (previous here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1146656)

D90, 50 1.4 @2.0

I attempted to address previous concerns/thoughts.

My questions; did it get better? Should I clone out/dodge the right edge where it gets a bit darker? Any thoughts crits, or helpful hints very welcome.

Thank you,
Dana

New secondary question, how can I get FLICKR photos to show up at a reasonable size on here?

Edited on Sep 09, 2012 at 09:44 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:39 PM
billk55
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · King Caprese

It's a little small to judge, Dana

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:43 PM
earthallen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · King Caprese

I think I figured out how to make it bigger.

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:45 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · King Caprese

Dana, Not knowing your post-processing workflow I took it upon myself to make some selective adjustments in LR4... All are intended to enhance tomato's presents... If you did not want your image modified I will remove immediately... Here is what I did... +25 vibrance; +25 Clarity; -40 Blacks; - 40 Lights; -40 Shadows; +20 Highlights; +20 Contrast; Lightened shadow on lower right; Cloned out bright spots on glass. Do not know exactly what you where after but this will give you an idea of what you can do in LR4...

Edited on Sep 12, 2012 at 03:36 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · King Caprese

I think the thing that stands out for me is the lighting arrangement. I see that you have some side or at least oblique lighting to help with definition of your round subjects.

But you also have what looks like "on axis" lighting that is "glaring" straight back at you. If you look at the wine glass in particular, you can see how it has 'obliterated' the glass stem into a highlight blur, without much definition.

Having the strong frontal highlight becomes a bit of a distraction for me in the tomato & glass. If you can dial back your front lighting so that it is more of a fill intensity rather than a key intensity ... and/or move it "off axis" I think you'll get more "modeling" to give definition to your subjects.

As to the selective focus, with the wine glass in the back, I think that is fine enough, but the chosen aperture is showing the shape of the aperture blades fairly pronounced, such that it is another distraction for me. I like seeing the wine glass trying to frame the tomato, but I wonder if some tweaking there could improve that relationship a smidgeon.

It also seems to be overexposed a bit.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:19 PM
earthallen
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · King Caprese

Here's my most recent attempt at editing.

I think I need to work on repairing the right bottom side of the wine glass, other thoughts?

Thanks all for the input.
Rusty, I don't have an off camera flash, I'll see what I can come up with for a lighting solution. In order to reduce the aperture from showing, would I close it down, or open it?

Sep 10, 2012 at 04:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · King Caprese

I'm assuming that you are using window light or reflector for your sidelighting then.

You could reduce the exposure (-EC) from your on camera flash, relegating it to fill duty, using your sidelighting as key (main). You should probably run a series of test shots at various lower flash power to get a feel for how to balance the two lights. You could also bounce your flash off a wall or foam core reflector so you change the angle from on axis to off axis.

Can you post up the original ... and was it from RAW, or jpg sooc? How did you determine color balance ... AWB or PP adjustment or set to flash, etc.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:13 PM
earthallen
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · King Caprese

I shot in Raw, side light was window.

I did color balancing in post using aperture and PS CS3.

I'll try to post the original tonight when I finish all my school work. Hard to get much photo stuff done during the school week as a teacher.

Sep 11, 2012 at 03:47 AM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · King Caprese

earthallen wrote:
My questions; did it get better?

I'd say so. The composition is certainly more interesting.

It looks a bit over exposed to me, and the dark of the wine is pulls my eye up and away from the salad. Those are more distracting to me than the dark area on the right.

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:41 AM
mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · King Caprese

I would have moved over to the right a little more. The wine glass is too close to the main subject for my taste.

Sep 12, 2012 at 01:06 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · King Caprese

The image looks overexposed. The lighting is way too harsh for food photography. The food looks unappetizing.

Sep 12, 2012 at 02:01 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password