Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              87      
       89              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.88 #1 · p.88 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Martin, congrats on the RX1. Share some pics soon!

Can you tell us about the focus peaking with manual focus? Does it work similar or as easy like the NEX cameras and is there a distance scale on the LCD?

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:48 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.88 #2 · p.88 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Makten wrote:
Yes, it's one frame for 35 mm which I'd guess shows like ~85-90% of what the camera sees at 2-3 meters distance. A nice thing with having the viewfinder in the hotshoe is that parallax is only vertically, which is not the case with a Leica M camera. This will let you compose quite tricky scenes accurately regarding perspective.

Of course! But I don't understand why you would use MF if you don't have to. I'll only use it in low light, when AF is out of the question.

A really great thing is the MF ring and its functioning. If you
...Show more

That is such a massively big deal for me. Huge. I'm so fired of the fly by wire 100 turns bullsh..I'm super flag to hear that.

I'm also in the same position. I just need to get off my backside. I have three L,s to sell and a nex system. And maybe an rx100. We will see. It may be a good second cam when carrying an possibly needing a zoom.

But really I mostly want to just get down to 24-70ii and 70-200 !! On my 5d2. And probably keep one 35L selling the 35,24,135 nex 5n contax 28/45 next kit and 50mm.

Cleaning house. I've been tracking what I use. I'm not a collector.

Edited on Dec 12, 2012 at 07:15 AM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:46 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.88 #3 · p.88 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Just got.mine today and will shoot some tonight.
Love the solid build and lens is performing well wide open.
Will get EVF in a few days.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:11 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.88 #4 · p.88 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Makten wrote:
Of course! But I don't understand why you would use MF if you don't have to. I'll only use it in low light, when AF is out of the question.

AF annoys me. it's always getting in my way at critical times or just not able to accomplish what i want it to. it looks like the RX1 can be configured to be in MF mode but do a single point AF at the press of a button, so that is probably the mode i'd keep it in. how much i use AF depends on how many situations i can trust it in – which i'm not terribly optimistic about there being a lot of.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:31 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.88 #5 · p.88 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

maiku wrote:
Do we have any word from RRS as to whether or not they'll be making a plate for the RX1?

I have a vertical finger grip/base/dovetail design for the RX1, but I have to finish the NEX-6 version this month, first.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:46 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.88 #6 · p.88 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Congratulations, Wayne!

Dec 12, 2012 at 05:31 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.88 #7 · p.88 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

joe88 wrote:
Can you tell us about the focus peaking with manual focus?

I haven't tried it and I don't think I will, because I never felt that peaking did anything good with the NEX-5N. But yes, there is a distance scale, though with very sparse markings and I don't see any point using it either.

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:19 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.88 #8 · p.88 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Martin, thanks for the info. I guess I have to wait for mine to arrive and check it out.

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:01 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.88 #9 · p.88 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philber wrote:
Congratulations, Wayne!

Thanks Philippe! Hope you get to try one with EVF soon at your local camera store.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM
SimonBl
• •
p.88 #10 · p.88 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Hi all - thanks for this thread. I got a phone call yesterday from our CBD Sony store in Perth, in Western Australia to say that they'd received their TWO RX1's and did I want to collect mine? Woohoo...

Had a good play last night, happy so far. It did take me a while to work out how to adjust shutter speed in S priority mode though! :-). I'm hoping i can leave my 5D MK III home more often now.

Can't wait for LR to support it though, I miss the RAW editing...

Dec 12, 2012 at 05:50 PM
tulaev
• •
p.88 #11 · p.88 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Sony RX1 : prepare to be a lot amazed and a little annoyed.
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2012/12/sony-rx1-prepared-to-be-a-lot-amazed-and-a-little-annoyed

RX1 vs NEX-7+24/1.8.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50452284

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.88 #12 · p.88 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Now Adobe RAW support!

dpreview

(Might as well post it in this thread)

Dec 13, 2012 at 09:44 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.88 #13 · p.88 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jochenb wrote:
Now Adobe RAW support!

dpreview

But not for CS5. F*ck.

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:48 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.88 #14 · p.88 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Mine just arrived. Its a sweet camera, very well made, worthy of the price tag. It badly needs a grip though.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:39 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.88 #15 · p.88 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I can't believe Sony wants us to fork out extra $$ for a separate battery charger! I ordered a "wasabi" charger and 2 cheap batteries from Amazon for $20. Hope it works.

Martin, how accurate do you find the CV35 finder framelines on the RX1? I'll need the EVF but its out of stock everywhere. Am thinking of supplementing it with either the X2 or CV35 finder.

I'm thinking of adding a cheap flipback grip for now. Anyone tried these?
http://flipbac.com/camera-grip-about.htm

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:01 PM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.88 #16 · p.88 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jochenb wrote:
Now Adobe RAW support!

dpreview

Thanks for letting us know! I upgraded from LR 3.6 just now, and so far so good. No problem importing the RX1 RAWs.

This evening after sunset I was at the Christmas market in town and took some shots with both RX1 and my trusty old 5D + 35L. To my surprise, whenever I had captured the same with both cameras the Sony photo looked better, sometimes much better! And I don't just mean at high ISO. Not a single mis-focused photo either and it only hunted once even though it was relatively dark.It was very cold, so I didn't stay long and didn't get any real keepers, but I'll try and post some pictures in the photo thread tomorrow.

Btw. from what I have seen so far I really like the changes they have made with Lightroom 4.3 compared to 3.6.

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:10 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.88 #17 · p.88 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Duncan Davidson posts an update now that ACR/LR have been released with RX1 support:

http://duncandavidson.com/blog/2012/12/rx1_raw

His first looks if you missed it:

http://duncandavidson.com/blog/2012/12/rx1_first

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.88 #18 · p.88 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I had some issues with my RX1 yesterday. After ~1 hour in -10 Celsius, I got an error message, something like "could not write to card, do you want to make a recovery?". Then the screen went black and I could not get the camera working again. But I took out the battery and warmed it for a couple of minutes, and it worked again. The file that was supposed to be written to the card when the failure happened was gone though.

I thought this was related to the cold and that maybe the processor consumes much current when writing to the card. But later, when the camera was warmed up, it said "no card" when starting it up. It took one more powering up before it found the card.

Dec 14, 2012 at 03:25 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.88 #19 · p.88 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

On cold weather use, elsewhere I read one report of a user getting about 20 shots in -5C but not sure over what time period and how much interaction with the camera occurred at low temps. The same owner also has the NEX-7 and expects about 100 shots from that camera in similar conditions.

The RX1 uses a single cell power pack; the NEX-7 uses a dual cell pack; some DSLRs use three cell packs.

No lithium ion tech is great in very cold operating temps but at least multi-cell packs (in series, higher voltage, lower current draw from the device) will hold up longer before voltage drop causes the camera safety circuitry to shut things down.

Regardless of the number of cells in a pack, available capacity will be significantly reduced when operating at -5 to -10 degrees. At minus 10C the spec sheets for comparable cells suggest less than half of normal available capacity can be extracted and it could be less than that depending on where the low voltage cut off is; It would not surprise me to see the RX1 deliver well under 100 or even under 50 exposures rather than the 250 claimed at 20C.

That said I've never bought a camera based on how many cells or what capacity a camera's pack has. I'd just buy more packs and keep spares warm inside my coat.

When it's really cold out I guess we can pretend our battery packs are film. 20 shots per pack. Maybe with care one could get 36 and it'll really feel like a 35mm film camera...

Dec 14, 2012 at 03:46 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.88 #20 · p.88 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Do any of you already have the EVF?
I know it's excellent, but how does the camera handle with it mounted? Doesn't it feel too small?
One of the things that's holding me back (European price is another one) is the point & shoot handling of the RX1. I also own a Fuji X-E1 and Sony RX100 and I enjoy shooting the Fuji much more. It has a grip and built-in viewfinder. With the RX100 you feel more 'disconnected' from a scene IMHO.
That's why the EVF would be a must-buy for me.

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:05 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.