Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              192      
       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.193 #1 · p.193 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I had been concerned about the EVF on the RX1 drawing attention, but after over 1500 shots during vacation in Spain, I found this was almost never the case. The EVF is so very useful that soon I was putting it on automatically when I took out the camera (it doesn't fit in the bag well mounted, otherwise I'd tape it on...) Incidentally, the RX1 with EVF is the best solution I've ever had for photographing ceilings - there are LOTS of beautiful ceilings in Spain

Jul 25, 2014 at 02:03 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.193 #2 · p.193 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
Did anyone else realise there is no "release with out card yes/no" option? How strange! I fired off a few hilarious personal / family photos on Sunday, only to discover I had no card installed. Fool. But with my other cameras it won't even release the shutter...

Then it is good there at least is a flashing yellow text in the viewfinder saying "NO CARD" if the card is removed. But, the option you mention is always a good idea.

Of lately I have been thinking about buying a camera with better video capabilities than the RX1. But, after taking, and now processing, about twenty images at my sister's birthday party I don't really want to part from my RX1. Such a small, nice FF camera with such a good 35mm lens! Oh well. Maybe I'll just ask for too much money when selling it and finding an excuse to keep it...

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.193 #3 · p.193 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

CalW wrote:
I had been concerned about the EVF on the RX1 drawing attention, but after over 1500 shots during vacation in Spain, I found this was almost never the case. The EVF is so very useful that soon I was putting it on automatically when I took out the camera (it doesn't fit in the bag well mounted, otherwise I'd tape it on...) Incidentally, the RX1 with EVF is the best solution I've ever had for photographing ceilings - there are LOTS of beautiful ceilings in Spain

This is exactly why I'm hoping the RX2 has a built in EVF.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.193 #4 · p.193 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I would also prefer a built in EVF, provided it can tilt!
But, depending on your choice of bag of course, there is no problem keeping the EVF attached all the to the camera. I use an old Domke satchel bag and the camera fits nicely in it, including extra padding, standing on the side with the RRS grip pointing up. That way it travels very secure at the same time as it takes nearly no time to grip it and take it out of the bag.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.193 #5 · p.193 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I've been there, done that, with the external add on EVF with my Nex 5n and it's not for me. As soon as I got my Nex 7 with integrated EVF, I found using it and pulling it in and out of a bag to be so much more convenient than with the 5n that I pretty much stopped using the 5n.

Sep 13, 2014 at 04:06 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.193 #6 · p.193 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jeff Kott wrote:
I've been there, done that, with the external add on EVF with my Nex 5n and it's not for me. As soon as I got my Nex 7 with integrated EVF, I found using it and pulling it in and out of a bag to be so much more convenient than with the 5n that I pretty much stopped using the 5n.

+1

i hate the external finder, better than none though.

Sep 13, 2014 at 05:51 PM
cxq317
• •
p.193 #7 · p.193 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

douglasf13 wrote:
I've been trying to figure that out, but I'm not sure. I did register the camera at Sony.com without issue, FWIW.

I know it might be a little old, but have you figured out whether it works or not?

I just ordered a rx1r from amazon warehouse rated as 'very good' and I'm wondering if the manufacturing warranty still works in this case.

If anyone here knows how this works, I'd like to appreciate your info. about this.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2014 at 04:36 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.193 #8 · p.193 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Now that this thread has popped up again, I thought I would ask a question that's been puzzling me.

I've noticed a number of posters in this and other threads (and the Buy/Sell forum) have indicated that they have bought, then sold, then re-bought and in some instances then re-sold, etc. the RX1. Does anyone have any theories as to why this is happening with this camera?

Sep 23, 2014 at 05:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.193 #9 · p.193 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jeff Kott wrote:
Now that this thread has popped up again, I thought I would ask a question that's been puzzling me.

I've noticed a number of posters in this and other threads (and the Buy/Sell forum) have indicated that they have bought, then sold, then re-bought and in some instances then re-sold, etc. the RX1. Does anyone have any theories as to why this is happening with this camera?

people buying then selling is no surprise, this being a gear forum people get excited about new gear and are always chasing the next big thing. the rx1 is an expensive and not terribly versatile camera with a number of usability issues, so its an easy choice to free up cash for the next big thing.

the surprising thing is that people keep rebuying after selling. my guess is that this is because the rx1 is still unmatched in its size to performance ratio and optical performance at 35mm. when you sell the rx1 you lose something that you cannot get with any other camera. when you try to do what the rx1 is best at with another camera you are going to end up disappointed, and will begin missing it.

another point is that price keeps dropping, so you can sell and pretty much count on being able to pick it up cheaper later.

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:10 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.193 #10 · p.193 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I think it also comes down to the unusual refinement (for Sony) of the RX1 with regard to build quality. The shutter button in particular is just amazing in it's silky smooth action, as is the nearly silent leaf shutter. The other controls also have a very nice, tactile, precision feel to their action. The camera is clearly built to a higher standard than say the A7's - or most other camera's as well. One somehow feels a bit more connected to an RX1 perhaps in use because of these qualities so it's an easy camera to miss. This for many likely places the RX1 beyond just another appliance-like digital gadget that takes pictures. Geez, now I need to save up for another RX1!

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:56 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.193 #11 · p.193 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

sebboh wrote:
people buying then selling is no surprise, this being a gear forum people get excited about new gear and are always chasing the next big thing. the rx1 is an expensive and not terribly versatile camera with a number of usability issues, so its an easy choice to free up cash for the next big thing.

the surprising thing is that people keep rebuying after selling. my guess is that this is because the rx1 is still unmatched in its size to performance ratio and optical performance at 35mm. when you sell the rx1 you lose something that you cannot get
...Show more

I think this is it partially--but I also think that just because it's such a frustrating camera to use (at least for me), one is likely to sell it, than buy it back later. Regardless of alternative--maybe some shooters are like me in that they don't "need" a 35mm lens, but if the package is that small with such great IQ, they'll be happy to use it. I'd probably try an RX1 @ 28, 35, 50 or 85mm.

I've had the camera for about two weeks. Honestly, there are lots of basic things that are wrong for me--lack of viewfinder, battery life, unimpressive AF, poor grip, not enough/too small of buttons, not a big fan of the MF implementation, compressed RAW. It's the kind of camera I'd sell regardless of alternatives out of sheer annoyance (annoyance even more than frustration)…then buy again because the concept it so pure and convenient. I rarely buy, sell, buy and resell an item…but the RX1 does drive me batty.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.193 #12 · p.193 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I think this is it partially--but I also think that just because it's such a frustrating camera to use (at least for me), one is likely to sell it, than buy it back later. Regardless of alternative--maybe some shooters are like me in that they don't "need" a 35mm lens, but if the package is that small with such great IQ, they'll be happy to use it. I'd probably try an RX1 @ 28, 35, 50 or 85mm.

I've had the camera for about two weeks. Honestly, there are lots of basic things that are wrong for me--lack of viewfinder,
...Show more

that sounds like pretty much the same as what i said but with more emphasis on the ergonomic flaws.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.193 #13 · p.193 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

This is an incredible resource for RX1 series owners. I had to revive it.

Jan 09, 2016 at 02:10 PM
speedgraphic
• •
p.193 #14 · p.193 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Does anyone know if the existing grips for the Rx1 work on the Rx2? I'd like to use the RRS or copies from Amazon. Thanks!

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:40 AM
AndyG

p.193 #15 · p.193 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

edwardkaraa (in 2012) wrote:
Bottom line, no one will be using the RX1 in 5 years, let alone 10

rattymouse wrote:
I'd wager a fiver against that prediction.

edwardkaraa wrote:
Accepted

Pay up! I'm still using my original RX1, and am delighted with the images it helps me make. I'm not tempted by the mark 2 (loss of fill flash, and I just don't need 42mp, nor the storage and processing requirements it entails). Nothing else on the market today does what the RX1 does in my opinion (although the Leica Q is close).

Edited on Oct 08, 2018 at 10:13 AM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2018 at 07:55 AM
ricmsm

p.193 #16 · p.193 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

RX1(R) is my 35mm lens, there is nothing else in the market that has the wow factor in terms of rendering and perpection of IQ (totally subjective of course).

Oct 08, 2018 at 08:10 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.193 #17 · p.193 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

My RX1RII is my vacation 35mm (along with my A7RIII + lenses) and my "I want to go really light weight" camera.

Looking forward for the RX1RIII

Oct 08, 2018 at 10:10 AM
Tirpitz666
• • •
p.193 #18 · p.193 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Still using my RX1 "Classic" with total satisfaction, quite incredible how this little beastie still holds it own in terms of IQ and "magic " rendering, it was really years ahead of its time in this department..

Oct 08, 2018 at 10:15 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.193 #19 · p.193 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

still using my rx1 classic too, though the idea of upgrading to the rx1rii has crossed my mind for the popup evf.

Oct 09, 2018 at 10:36 PM
fatswaller48

p.193 #20 · p.193 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I'm glad that somebody else resurrected this old extensive thread, I wouldn't have been aware of it otherewise.
I need some help and advice. I want a substantial upgrade from my Fuji XA-2 which I bought about 2 years ago as a trial to see if I like Fuji before buying an X100T now F. The XA-2 is very likeable but in bright sunlight the LCD is impossible to see-cameras without a viewfinder or EVF should have health warning! Long story short - I was about to buy the Fuji X100f but thought I would check alternatives before purchasing, and have gone round in circles since, but then settled on a Sony A7r ii with a Sony 35mm f2.8. Late in the day it occurred to me that my ageing Mac Mini probably would't cope with the files generated by the 42mp sensor. So it was back to the Fuji until I stumbled across this thread about the Sony RX1 which I didn't realize had a 24mp sensor and might make life a little more manageble. RX1r's on ebay are well within budget and I could afford the optional attachable EVF and there are many users who speak well of this camera. I am attracted to it because it is FF, has a 35mm lens a focal length I really like, and is so portable. I like the Fuji for much same reasons except I think there is better quality definition and resolution to be had from the Sony.
Which would you go for? Second hand Sony RX1r and associated risk and the fact it is quite an old model now or a brand new Fuji X100F?
Thanks in advance

Oct 18, 2018 at 05:06 AM
       194       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

194       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.