Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              191      
       193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.192 #1 · p.192 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I wish you good luck with the EVF Ricardo. To me the EVF is what makes the camera usable. But I think I've said that earlier... ...and the viewfinder can be attached all the time in my experience. I've never noticed anyone caring about me and the RX1.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.192 #2 · p.192 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thanks again Jonas. I am optimistic. I will give it all a fair chance and time, I am in. I rush to ditch it, just slightly underwhelmed, or something like that. The evf should solve some issues so let's see how it goes

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:51 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.192 #3 · p.192 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Well, the EVF arrived.

First impression: "Holy crap! Is this what I'll have to put up with?!"

I then realised there is a strange diopter level thing. Pushed it back... much better. I'm not 100% sure which is best for my eyes, either right at the far end or somewhere in the middle. But it seems okay.

I've then basically strapped and taped it on there anyway I can to make sure it doesn't fall off and rattle around on the floor. I think it'll be okay in use. It'll solve some problems for sure, but I'm interested to see how the overall handling changes in "real life".

Jun 19, 2014 at 09:04 AM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.192 #4 · p.192 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Ricardo, I was frustrated by that tiny diopter adjustment slider because it managed to always get knocked out of adjustment and it is very fiddly to get it adjusted right, over and over and over. I finally got it just where I wanted it and put a piece of tape over it - so far it has been much less hassle this way.

Jun 19, 2014 at 09:30 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.192 #5 · p.192 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thanks Cal, I did think about putting some tape over it - sounds like a good solution... and mine is covered in tape at this point, so a little more won't do any harm.

This might be a stupid quesiton, but is there any trick to getting the diopter "just right". I mean... beyond just looking through and guessing at it. I struggle to register much of a difference through half the range once my eyes adjust.

Jun 19, 2014 at 09:38 AM
CalW
• • • •
p.192 #6 · p.192 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Ricardo, I'm quite accustomed to the EVF now, and I find I have to make a quite fine adjustment to be satisfied. I use my best eye (the left one, that got a new lens when a cataract was removed a couple of years ago so it is now better than what I was born with.) I have found it difficult to adjust by looking at a subject, because you can never actually make it really, really clear anyhow. ** I just look at the data at the top and bottom, and when those letters and numbers are the clearest possible, then my eye is focused on the plane of the LCD, and the rest will be as good as it gets

** I'm not knocking the EVF - it is the best I have ever seen, but even so it will never be mistaken for a good OVF. If there was an OVF that actually showed the image expected, I'd be delighted to use it. That mirror contraption in the SLRs became popular for a reason...

Jun 19, 2014 at 04:46 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.192 #7 · p.192 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

The mirror contraption became popular because it was a way to see through the lens, not because it was better than an EVF...

I don't know if there are any special tricks to get the diopter setting right. I usually aim the camera against a white wall (or whatever - something that never will look as it is in focus). Then I adjust the diopter until the squares and lines in the viewfinder are sharp with the least effort for my eye.

Jun 19, 2014 at 05:00 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.192 #8 · p.192 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jonas, I wasn't comparing EVF and SLR. I thought I was implying exactly what you said... I was around when the first SLR was introduced but I didn't buy into it for quite a while, and when I finally did get my first (Minolta) SLR I couldn't believe that I had lived with the inaccuracies of rangefinder OVFs for so long. But I happily now use EVFs because as we now realize, "that mirror contraption" brought disadvantages along with convenience.

Jun 19, 2014 at 07:03 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.192 #9 · p.192 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Well I gave it the first real test last night and I've came away pretty positive to be honest. I was almost surprised at how decent the AF was, now I can sort of handle the camera more naturally. No real faff or fussing. Only the light was terrible... So it would be nice to try it in good light at some point.

Only slight negative is that I think the battery drained much quicker using the evf compared to the OVF x+ screen. But that's obvious isn't it... I was reviewing on occasion, simply because I wasn't quite familiar with the evf yet, and I know that drains a lot of battery. So I think battery life will improve.

One embarrassing moment... A man comes up to me:

"What cameras are you using? I notice you have them taped up?"

"Oh... They're Zeiss Sony Minolta... I tape them up so old men don't come talk to me about cameras"

Jun 22, 2014 at 06:05 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.192 #10 · p.192 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Cal; I understand, I just couldn't resist mentioning it. No worries.

Ricardo; I'm pretty sure you'll find the EVF very usable in "good light"-situations. Being able to tilt the viewfinder is an extra plus. The batteries don't last long, that's true. By time things will improve as you'll chimp less as you learn how to interprete the exposure levels in the EVF and trust the AF. But wth, it doesn't take that long to switch battery. I do however wish Sony included a warning sign or something saying "You'll now be allowed to take three more images only" instead of the Depleted sign.

Thinking about it there are a lot of details with the RX1 that could improve. Funny it still is the camera of choice, party because of the image quality, partly because it is fun to use.

Jun 22, 2014 at 06:37 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.192 #11 · p.192 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Yes, I didn't like the sudden "exhausted" notice just when I was about to release the shutter. Surely this has the tech to give us a simple percentage indicator?? You are right, there are many things that need updating with firmware... BUT Sony are just so bad with that. At this rate, I'd be surprised if we ever get one.

Oh yes, I imagine it will be nice in good light too. I just can't have any time off for a while, and using at weddings, generally means bad lighting. Hopefully soon though.

I was reviewing literally just to check focus, as I hadn't used the AF quite like that before (meaning how you'd use it normally). And after a while it became clear it was pretty reliable really, even in poor lighting. So next time around I think I'll be okay.

I have 3 batteries at the moment, and I only just went into the second.

Jun 22, 2014 at 07:04 AM
rittrato
• • •
p.192 #12 · p.192 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Does anyone know if the RX1R focuses faster than the RX1? I had both bodies before and from my recollection the RX1R locks focus a bit faster than the RX1, though I'm not so sure if I have a bad copy.

I'm in the market for another RX1 and I do prefer the tonality of the regular version over the "R" but I'm worried I may be disappointed.

Jun 22, 2014 at 07:11 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.192 #13 · p.192 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I've NOT used both but AFAIK there is absolutely no difference in focus speed between the RX1 and RX1R.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:00 AM
rittrato
• • •
p.192 #14 · p.192 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
I've NOT used both but AFAIK there is absolutely no difference in focus speed between the RX1 and RX1R.

I hope you're right. My initial experience with the RX1 was awful, as much as I loved the camera, I sold it in a month after being frustrated by it. The RX1R experience to me was much much better, it locked focus much faster. Lloyd Chambers also reported the RX1R has a better AF, but it's always confusing when you read from other owners that there's no difference.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:07 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.192 #15 · p.192 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

How could it have faster AF? I've not heard of any such user reports personally. I can't see how Sony would update the firmware in the RX1R and then not do so in the RX1. I can only imagine it's mind games, but as I say, I have no personal experience.

Jun 22, 2014 at 08:54 AM
rittrato
• • •
p.192 #16 · p.192 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
How could it have faster AF? I've not heard of any such user reports personally. I can't see how Sony would update the firmware in the RX1R and then not do so in the RX1. I can only imagine it's mind games, but as I say, I have no personal experience.

Well, take it with a grain of salt. Some said the RX1R bypassing the AA filter has given it a higher micro contrast which in return may help in locking AF. Not sure how true is that, perhaps someone who has more knowledge could clarify this.

As for reports, here's one advising the RX1R was quicker to focus.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/06/27/first-impressions-sony-rx1r/

and I couldnt find the link from Lloyd Chambers, but here's a link from DP Review discussing it

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3590560

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:13 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.192 #17 · p.192 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
Yes, I didn't like the sudden "exhausted" notice just when I was about to release the shutter. Surely this has the tech to give us a simple percentage indicator?? You are right, there are many things that need updating with firmware... BUT Sony are just so bad with that. At this rate, I'd be surprised if we ever get one.

it's worth noting that you can continue to shoot after the battery exhausted notice and even passed the screen powering down if you are pre-focused. i managed to get 3 shots off after the screen died. i was quite surprised to find the images came out just fine when i put the card in the computer.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.192 #18 · p.192 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Did anyone else realise there is no "release with out card yes/no" option? How strange! I fired off a few hilarious personal / family photos on Sunday, only to discover I had no card installed. Fool. But with my other cameras it won't even release the shutter...

Jun 24, 2014 at 01:36 PM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.192 #19 · p.192 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Happened to me too and not aware of an option either. Sometimes my wife takes my card out to download photos of family and doesn't it return it. The option would help.

Jul 12, 2014 at 08:49 AM
FMTopFan
• •
p.192 #20 · p.192 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jonas B wrote:
I wish you good luck with the EVF Ricardo. To me the EVF is what makes the camera usable. But I think I've said that earlier... ...and the viewfinder can be attached all the time in my experience. I've never noticed anyone caring about me and the RX1.

EVF totally makes the camera steady for shots under 1/100s for me. Not to mention it's ability to tilt, really handy for making shots from interesting angles like this

Havana Inversión

Jul 24, 2014 at 04:20 PM
       193       194       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

193       194       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.