Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              190      
       192       193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

thebatman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.191 #1 · p.191 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Hi all - posted over in the RX1 image thread but someone directed me over here. Bought a used RX1 in December and was loving it. Unfortunately one time right after I swapped batteries it stopped working. Basically it will not turn on. Occasionally it will make some kind of noise if I flick the power switch, but the LCD will not come on, shutter button does not fire, camera is essentially unresponsive.

Two questions for the group:

1. Any hope of fixing this myself? Any kind of known problem that might be causing this which I could resolve?

2. If not, anyone had experience with Sony service? I assume I'll have to send it in. Any thoughts on what I can expect (cost, turnaround time, any tips and tricks for better service) would be much appreciated.

I have tried several different (charged) batteries and that does not help. Neither did charging the battery in-camera via the USB cable.

I was advised somewhere in this thread are reports of RX1s locking up, so I will search for that. Any other advice on the problem, or dealing with Sony service, would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Apr 03, 2014 at 07:29 AM
dop33

p.191 #2 · p.191 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Today my new Rx1 will arrive, but can you guys help me on picking a viewfinder? Which works best, the ovf or evf? and any other brands?

May 08, 2014 at 04:51 AM
tmcuong

p.191 #3 · p.191 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

EVF is better. Sure.

May 17, 2014 at 02:47 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.191 #4 · p.191 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

A question about remote control:

I have a relatively advanced one for my Fuji X-A1 that you plug into the USB port on the camera. Works just fine. Since RX1 has the same type of USB port I assumed it'd be fine too, but I haven't been able to figure out how to make the remote trigger the shutter. Some googling showed me that with Sony A7 you need to enable remote control, so I'm thinking it's the same with RX1, but I have checked the menus over and over again. Help please?

Edit: Hmm... I am starting to get a nagging suspicion that this can't be done with RX1. That I would need an old fashioned cable release? Perhaps I should give up the thought of using RX1 on a tripod. It's not very useful anyway since it forgets the MF distance as soon as it goes to sleep.

May 22, 2014 at 03:03 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.191 #5 · p.191 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Sadly it's true Helena. You need to use a cable release. I only use one for exposures longer than 30 seconds, otherwise I just use the 2 seconds delayed shutter option. The good thing about the RX1 is that it can often still AF accurately when there's a 10 stop ND filter on the lens. Remembering the MF distance when it goes to sleep/off is one of my most wanted updates (together with faster AF and smaller focus points).

May 22, 2014 at 03:57 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.191 #6 · p.191 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thank you Jochen! Too bad, but at least now I know. Impressive that it can AF through a ten stop filter, but surprising that Sony hasn't fixed the MF distance issue with a firmware update yet (it seems to me like it could be done).

Btw. my RX1 is getting worse. I mentioned before that it sometimes jumped to the shooting mode when reviewing photos. Now it does this almost half the time and when I'm in the menu too. When it is in this "faulty mode" it also changes aperture by itself. It flickers between different values and if I take a photo when this happens I will get whatever aperture the screen is showing at that moment, regardless of what I have set the aperture wheel to.

I guess I will have to send it in eventually, but since warranty has expired I fear it'll be expensive.

May 22, 2014 at 04:05 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.191 #7 · p.191 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

HelenaN wrote:
Thank you Jochen! Too bad, but at least now I know. Impressive that it can AF through a ten stop filter, but surprising that Sony hasn't fixed the MF distance issue with a firmware update yet (it seems to me like it could be done).

Btw. my RX1 is getting worse. I mentioned before that it sometimes jumped to the shooting mode when reviewing photos. Now it does this almost half the time and when I'm in the menu too. When it is in this "faulty mode" it also changes aperture by itself. It flickers between different values. I guess
...Show more

It should be possible, because my (ex-)Leica X1 did remember the MF distance when turning it off.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems! Since I also have so much trouble with Sony I'd rather not buy any more cameras from them... but they are the most innovative player on the market.
I now have my RX1 for almost 1.5 year and luckily I never had a single issue with this second copy (knock on wood!).

HelenaN wrote:
I guess I will have to send it in eventually, but since warranty has expired I fear it'll be expensive.

Huh, don't you have the standard European 2 years warranty?

May 22, 2014 at 04:18 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.191 #8 · p.191 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thank you for the sympathy! Indeed, your experience with Sony and my own is discouraging, but they sure have some interesting products, so I haven't given up yet... I'm glad that your RX1 has been flawless!

Are you sure it is two years in Europe? I went to Sony Norway and there it says that I'm covered by European warranty and explains:
"By this Guarantee, Sony guarantees the product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the date of original purchase for a period of ONE YEAR from that date."

Link (it's in English):
http://services.sony.no/support/NO/warranty/general

May 22, 2014 at 04:31 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.191 #9 · p.191 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Oh yes, Norway is not a member of the EU. Our laws say that the minimum warranty has to be 2 years. When I go to Sony Belgium I get the exact same page as your link, with one big difference: "TWO YEARS".
How annoying for you!

May 22, 2014 at 04:40 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.191 #10 · p.191 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Indeed. The most frustrating part is that the problems started showing up just a couple of weeks before our trip to Peru. They were only minor and rare at first and I of course wanted to bring RX1 on such a trip, so I decided not to send it in even though warranty would expire while we were away. Of course in hindsight I know that that was a bad decision, but what's done is done.

At least it never jumps away from photography mode, so it hasn't prevented me from taking photos, but I worry that the aperture changing thing will run amok eventually.

May 22, 2014 at 04:53 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.191 #11 · p.191 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

HelenaN wrote:
Thank you for the sympathy! Indeed, your experience with Sony and my own is discouraging, but they sure have some interesting products, so I haven't given up yet... I'm glad that your RX1 has been flawless!

Are you sure it is two years in Europe? I went to Sony Norway and there it says that I'm covered by European warranty and explains:
"By this Guarantee, Sony guarantees the product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the date of original purchase for a period of ONE YEAR from that date."

Link (it's in English):
http://services.sony.no/support/NO/warranty/general

Products bought in Norway should be covered by "Kjøpsloven" which says that the guarantee period should be two years, independently of what the manufacturer´s international guarantees are.

May 22, 2014 at 05:12 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.191 #12 · p.191 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

twoeye wrote:
Products bought in Norway should be covered by "Kjøpsloven" which says that the guarantee period should be two years, independently of what the manufacturer´s international guarantees are.

That's good news, thank you for letting me know! Since moving to Norway I have never had reason to take advantage of "Kjøpsloven", so I wasn't aware of that. I'll look into it right away.

May 22, 2014 at 05:16 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.191 #13 · p.191 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Star trails or stacking multiple exposures - am I write that I simply need an old style mechanical release with a "lock", and then put the camera in continuous exposure mode?

Thanks!

May 27, 2014 at 09:55 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.191 #14 · p.191 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
Star trails or stacking multiple exposures - am I write that I simply need an old style mechanical release with a "lock", and then put the camera in continuous exposure mode?

Thanks!

Yes. You screw on the shutter release cord and put the camera in bulb mode. Press, lock and wait.

May 27, 2014 at 01:04 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.191 #15 · p.191 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Okay then guys... What exactly am I using to strap the EVF in place? Any tips? Please recommend me something...

I have found one second hand, finally, so should be here in a couple of days,

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.191 #16 · p.191 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
Okay then guys... What exactly am I using to strap the EVF in place? Any tips? Please recommend me something...

I have found one second hand, finally, so should be here in a couple of days,

Thanks!

It's pretty solid and tight in the hotshoe. I couldn't imagine strapping it in in anyway?

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.191 #17 · p.191 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Hey Chuck. The EVF doesn't lock in place and is known for coming loose, or having the potential to. With walking around with it all day it just want it safe in place - a few members on here have strapped in on DYI style, jus wondering how. I know I could just use some tape or something, but was wondering if there was something a little more intelligent / flexible in use

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.191 #18 · p.191 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I think most people use a piece of a common rubber band found in a drawer in their kitchen or so. I know I do and it works fine.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.191 #19 · p.191 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

At first I wanted the EVF on all the time, but I did become concerned that it fits too loosely. And I discovered that with the EVF mounted, the camera felt a bit awkward to carry, and also it lost its "stealth" character, drawing too much attention. So currently I carry the camera with a RRS grip and a wrist strap attached in a small Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 bag, lens down holster-style, with the EVF ready to use in the bag under the camera, beside the lens, wrapped in a small microfiber cloth. I pop the EVF on only when it is really needed. There is also room in the bottom of the bag for two spare batteries and a filter or two. With the grip, the camera is really easy to grab quickly from the bag, which can be either on a strap on on a belt.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.191 #20 · p.191 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thanks Cal. For me, I hate using LCDs for photography, so that's just not an option, but thanks for sharing your experience. I have read others find the evf makes it less unobtrusive, but I can't see that being an issue for me. I've used the OVF and remained unobtrusive, just slightly frustrated with general use, and I manage to be relatively unobtrusive with my big, clunky slrs, so hopefully this little plastic VF add-in won't be an issue.

You may have missed my post a few weeks ago, but I've become generally dissatisfied with the rx1, so the evf is in a way a "last chance", before going with something "more enjoyable".

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.