Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              183      
       185              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

FMTopFan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.184 #1 · p.184 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I guess this is a great place to also note how really wonderful the shutter release is on the RX1. I use a soft release also but I'm always reminded anytime I shoot with a different camera just how refined that RX1 shutter button feel is. Seems like some thought really went into that feel.

Tell me about it! It's one of the best shutters I've experienced, very adaptable too with either a Bip or Bop
I was secretly wishing A7(R) would be the same, but unfortunately it's still not an RX1/R sensation

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.184 #2 · p.184 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

fredmirandafan wrote:
I was secretly wishing A7(R) would be the same, but unfortunately it's still not an RX1/R sensation

Yeah, I hear it described as "mushy" and "numb" with no feel. I think we will have to wait for the "Made in Japan" A9 or similar to get the RX1 refinement.

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:29 PM
FMTopFan
• •
p.184 #3 · p.184 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, I hear it described as "mushy" and "numb" with no feel. I think we will have to wait for the "Made in Japan" A9 or similar to get the RX1 refinement.

lol, not sure about mushy or numb. What I do know is, when testing the A7/R during the Sony demo, I had to resort to jabbing instead of the gentle nudging on my RX1R. Another disappointment is the lack of screw threads on the shutter button to install any Bip and Bops. Sigh.. like you said, either the A9 or RX2 with a longer FL lens and leaf shutter.

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.184 #4 · p.184 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Careful with those A7 comments - people are watching….

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:21 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.184 #5 · p.184 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

sebboh wrote:
there is a very small amount of vignetting with the sensei 49-37mm step down ring on top of a B+W f-pro filter when focused to infinity.

That's interesting. I thought I checked at infinity, but maybe not. Granted, I have several step down rings, and some of them are slightly different in depth. Maybe I'll just only us the filter.

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:31 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.184 #6 · p.184 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

helimat wrote:
Stupid question, but out of curiosity how are you focusing? Are you relying on AF, or switching between the VF & screen?

I either use center point and visualize it, or I occasionally stop down to F8 and use multi-point, which is new for me. You have to "feel" the camera lock focus, but it works better than one would think.

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:33 PM
helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.184 #7 · p.184 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

douglasf13 wrote:
I either use center point and visualize it, or I occasionally stop down to F8 and use multi-point, which is new for me. You have to "feel" the camera lock focus, but it works better than one would think.

OK, great to know, thanks. I have been primarily using 'flexible spot AF' with the LCD, and a little MF with the EVF as well, which will take some getting used to. Nice to see that there are other options than Sony's $500 OVF too, thanks for sharing.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.184 #8 · p.184 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

douglasf13 wrote:
That's interesting. I thought I checked at infinity, but maybe not. Granted, I have several step down rings, and some of them are slightly different in depth. Maybe I'll just only us the filter.

yeah, i haven't tested with just the step down ring and no filter. i really haven't noticed much difference in flare shooting near the sun with the hood on, step down ring on, or nothing on the lens. using a filter is definitely suboptimal for such shooting with regard to flare whether or not you use any type of hood.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:15 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.184 #9 · p.184 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

fredmirandafan wrote:
As days get darker and darker, I have had to shoot at lower and lower shutter speeds, just wondering what the lowest handheld shutter speeds people have been able to get pixel-level sharpness on the street? With the EVF on my RX1R, I find 1/80 is mostly safe, 1/60 is iffy, and 1/30 is just hit and miss. Thats of course assuming subjects are not moving.

The EVF really helps stabilizing the camera. I also have the RRS grip and that helps even more. I now get consistently sharp results at 1/30-1/50. Without the EVF and grip I even have to be careful at 1/80.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.184 #10 · p.184 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

sebboh wrote:
yeah, i haven't tested with just the step down ring and no filter. i really haven't noticed much difference in flare shooting near the sun with the hood on, step down ring on, or nothing on the lens. using a filter is definitely suboptimal for such shooting with regard to flare whether or not you use any type of hood.

I use the step down ring just to help protect the front of the lens a little (and don't use a filter on the front since going that route). It doesn't seem like it really makes a difference with regard to flare as the lens is so flare resistant already.

Nov 19, 2013 at 09:09 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.184 #11 · p.184 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thanks for the tips guys. I have some adapters coming. Although the knock-off vented hood offers decent protection, and the OEM cap fits in it nicely, a slimmer setup will be nice too.

Nov 21, 2013 at 08:53 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.184 #12 · p.184 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

sebboh wrote:

I just did a quick test at infinity wide open, and I don't see any extra vignetting when adding my B+W XS Pro Digital filter and my 49mm->37mm step down ring.

It must come down to my XS filter being thinner than your F-Pro filter, and maybe even my step down ring being thinner, too. I believe I have other 49->37 step down rings in a drawer that are a bit thicker than the one I'm currently using.

Nov 22, 2013 at 02:45 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.184 #13 · p.184 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

As mentioned earlier, I'm more than happy going to 1/15th. I'm not printing very large most of the time. With my old leaf shutter camera I would happily go to 1/8th as well, although I've not felt the need to do so yet.

After using it for a weekend trip I think I've settled into it more now. Mostly using zone by AF. Still not perfect but definitely better. My wider and shorter strap is much more comfortable too.

I kind of wish the lens would throw out some aberrations at wider apertures.... But I realise the reviews would hate that. Almost tempted to find some sort of oil-filter but I know it would just be awful ;o)

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:22 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.184 #14 · p.184 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

too good not to put up here - a shutter noise comparo of RX1, EM-5, A7r and a high end Canon DSLR:

http://tobinators.com/blog/index.php/2013/11/everything-else/shutter-sound-comparison-sony-a7r-v-the-rest/

See if you can hear the RX1...

Nov 23, 2013 at 02:50 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.184 #15 · p.184 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

For me still one of the most important reasons why I can't sell my RX1 Philip. It's not that the A7R really is too loud (it does sound "slow" though), but compared to the RX1 it certainly feels that way.

Nov 23, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.184 #16 · p.184 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philip_pj wrote:
too good not to put up here - a shutter noise comparo of RX1, EM-5, A7r and a high end Canon DSLR:

http://tobinators.com/blog/index.php/2013/11/everything-else/shutter-sound-comparison-sony-a7r-v-the-rest/

See if you can hear the RX1...

Nice comparison. So the single frame sound of the A7r is around the same as a Canon 1D. ouch.

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.184 #17 · p.184 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

twoeye wrote:
When previewing images I can no longer adjust the zoom scale by turning the control wheel, the control wheel rotate function has for a while been on and off. I guess the camera must be serviced.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sony´s service turnaround is far from impressive, I sent my RX1 in for service in the beginning of october to have the control wheel fixed, and I am still waiting for it...

Nov 25, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.184 #18 · p.184 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

twoeye wrote:
Sony´s service turnaround is far from impressive, I sent my RX1 in for service in the beginning of october to have the control wheel fixed, and I am still waiting for it...

That's far from impressive indeed. Really bad actually. I wish Sony would hand out another copy for loan during the repair time. As they (my guess) don't I can only hope you'll get your camera back soon. I guess you have called them asking about the estimated time for the work. What do they say?

Nov 25, 2013 at 06:06 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.184 #19 · p.184 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Wow! A7r sounds loud and slow compared to RX1 and EM-5.
Two eye, hope you get your RX1 back soon.

Nov 25, 2013 at 06:08 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.184 #20 · p.184 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jonas B wrote:
That's far from impressive indeed. Really bad actually. I wish Sony would hand out another copy for loan during the repair time. As they (my guess) don't I can only hope you'll get your camera back soon. I guess you have called them asking about the estimated time for the work. What do they say?

It has been sent from Tromsø to my retailer in Oslo, and from there too Sony in Sweden for service, estimated repair time four weeks. Hopefully I will have it back soon.

Nov 25, 2013 at 06:20 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.