Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              178      
       180              192       193       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.179 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

'I'm not so sure any of these (A7's or RX1's) would fare too well in a downpour without protection for instance.'

Like how the big Canons fared in the Reichmann Antartic tours? They actually stopped working..

Oct 17, 2013 at 03:55 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.179 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I was on a boat all day today shooting RX1R and NEX 6 (with manual lenses).
It's really incredible how much better RX1R is. The LCD itself is like night and day.
I couldn't see anything on my NEX 6 LCD, switched to "sunny" mode - it's terrible, yellow
with highlights (also yellow) clipped. Awful comparing to RX1R. I'm really glad it seems
A7R has the same LCD.
Other than that, just smooth operation, everything working, pure joy. I dragged a few Leica M lenses
with me on that trip and I'm ending up using my RX1R 95% of the time

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:08 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.179 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj wrote:
'I'm not so sure any of these (A7's or RX1's) would fare too well in a downpour without protection for instance.'

Like how the big Canons fared in the Reichmann Antartic tours? They actually stopped working..

The Canon 5DII's? I know many of those failed. I was more thinking in comparison to the type of weather/ water proofing seen on high end Pentax, Olympus and 1 series CaNikon which I would consider more "weather proof".

I suppose we will get more info on these A7's but it sounds pretty minimal by comparison (For instance, I don't even see anything about "weather resistance" even mentioned for the A7's on their product pages or specifications, either at Sony's site or anywhere they are for sale, unless I have somehow missed it?).

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.179 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Weather sealing is such a nebulous claim, and few actually test it out properly, so I never know what to think of it. One of the best indicators of sealing I've seen is that old Dakar Rally article about the A900, which did really well, despite having unsealed lenses.

Like I said, I don't think I'd trust the A7r in bad weather any more or less than my taped up RX1. It's all a bit of a risk.

The think I don't love about the RX1 is that, like a point and shoot, if you drop the camera on the lens, there is the possibility that it freezes the whole camera, rather than allowing you to just switch out the damaged lens. That's the main thing I worry about.

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:16 PM
fredmirandafan

p.179 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I don't know why people are complaining about A7(R)'s fps.

I actually think the Speed Continuous Mode on my RX1R is too fast/sensitive as it is. I can never manage to take one single-shot only by releasing my finger from the shutter fast enough when in Speed Cont mode.

It would be ideal to leave on Speed Continuous, take single shots when need to, and press+hold to get a series of sequence. I could set it to Continuous, but usually when I am hunting for street action, there would be no opportunities to switch back and forth.

Does anyone have a technique when in Speed Cont, but still manage to do single shots?

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:49 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.179 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
Weather sealing is such a nebulous claim, and few actually test it out properly, so I never know what to think of it. One of the best indicators of sealing I've seen is that old Dakar Rally article about the A900, which did really well, despite having unsealed lenses.

Like I said, I don't think I'd trust the A7r in bad weather any more or less than my taped up RX1. It's all a bit of a risk.

The think I don't love about the RX1 is that, like a point and shoot, if you drop the camera on the lens,
...Show more

Who's going to be the first to run their A7/A7r under a running tap?

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:33 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.179 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The Canon 5DII's? I know many of those failed. I was more thinking in comparison to the type of weather/ water proofing seen on high end Pentax, Olympus and 1 series CaNikon which I would consider more "weather proof".

Actually, Canon 5D, 5D Mark II, 1Ds Mark II, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/aa-07-worked.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

I think with the 1D Mark IV and 1D-X, and the 5D Mark III, Canon has put these problem behind them.

No Nikon bodies died on those two trips, although there were also fewer Nikon owners.

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.179 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
Actually, Canon 5D, 5D Mark II, 1Ds Mark II, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/aa-07-worked.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

I think with the 1D Mark IV and 1D-X, and the 5D Mark III, Canon has put these problem behind them.

No Nikon bodies died on those two trips, although there were also fewer Nikon owners.

I was trying to be kind to Canon!

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:07 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.179 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I was looking at Brian Smith's review of the A7r, and this picture in the review struck me as to why the RX1 doesn't have a tilt screen. Not only is the sensor in the A7R about 5mm (my guess, based on sensor location indicator on top plate) further towards the front of the camera, but there's also an extended section behind the A7r's LCD that adds another few mm in depth. So, I'd guess that adding a tilt screen would have added an extra 5-8mm to the depth of the RX1, which would have been quite noticeable:

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.179 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The for posting the above image from Brian Smith's review; that helps put size in perspective especially for those of us who like to, or need to, to use a viewfinder most of the time.

Now if only a swack of useful comparison images made with the FE 35 f/2.8, and a bunch of other 35's, would appear before us.

Shaaazzam!

Crap, wishing didn't work.

Oct 19, 2013 at 01:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

fredmirandafan

p.179 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Let me just say, I would be so pissed if Sony comes out with RX1R M2 next year with EVF built-in plus titl screen while retaining its original size, especially after I sell the RX1R and buy the A7(R) to use an inferior 35mm/f2.8 lens with. Luckily the A7(R) is not out yet, so I still have a couple of months to think rationally

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.179 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

fredmirandafan wrote:
Let me just say, I would be so pissed if Sony comes out with RX1R M2 next year with EVF built-in plus titl screen while retaining its original size, especially after I sell the RX1R and buy the A7(R) to use an inferior 35mm/f2.8 lens with. Luckily the A7(R) is not out yet, so I still have a couple of months to think rationally

I hope Sony keeps the versatility of the RX1 if they update it by maintaining the hotshoe option that allows for user choice of finder. I would think we could expect a 36MP version of the RX1r this time next year, but who knows. What I would like to see sooner than later though are updated EVF's with the A7 EVF improvements (finder optics and dynamic range). Sony should show RX1 users continued support through updated accessories (and firmware).

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:13 AM
fredmirandafan

p.179 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
What I would like to see sooner than later though are updated EVF's with the A7 EVF improvements (finder optics and dynamic range). Sony should show RX1 users continued support through updated accessories (and firmware).

Yea, I was really disappointed that Sony didn't announce an "improved" EVF option for RX1(R) this week. Olympus kept updating their EVF with each year of new cameras, why can't Sony show their commitment to the top spending clients (those buying expensive bodies like RX1) some good will?

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:19 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.179 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The RX1 hasn't been widely available for a year yet, so I think it's a bit much to ask. Also, outside of the alleged dynamic range difference of the new EVF, they're pretty similar. I think the new finder optics would make for a much too large add-on EVF.

Either way, doesn't bother me. I love the OVF+LCD tag team.

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:45 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.179 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

If that dynamic range increase (3x) is true, that would make a huge difference, though the reference given is the a99 and I don't know if the RX1 EVF has been improved over that one or not. I like using the RX1 EVF tilted but one option that I'm sure some would love to see for the RX1 would be something like the exact EVF of the 7 with a hotshoe on top, which would allow the use of the EVF plus flash and so forth.

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:55 AM
fredmirandafan

p.179 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Not to mention a locking mechanism like Olympus did with their latest VF-4 earlier this year.

Oct 19, 2013 at 03:04 AM
tulaev

p.179 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Sony a7 torture test with Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander rangefinder lenses:
http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=224

The new Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm f/2.8 should be stopped down to 5.6 to get sharp corners. The lens of RX1 is quite good already at 2.0.

Oct 20, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.179 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

tulaev wrote:
Sony a7 torture test with Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander rangefinder lenses:
http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=224

The new Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm f/2.8 should be stopped down to 5.6 to get sharp corners. The lens of RX1 is quite good already at 2.0.

At least on my copy of the RX1, it also requires 5.6 for sharp extreme corners. That's when tested with both a flat surface (Wall at maybe 70 ft) and with an infinity landscape shot. That said, a huge area of the frame (maybe 2/3rds) is already very sharp wide open at F2...and that's with full lens contrast.

Ron's quick test looks pretty good to me overall. My initial impression is that the FE 35 is about one stop behind the RX1 at brighter apertures but pretty close when stopped down. We will have to see more tests though.

Oct 20, 2013 at 01:26 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.179 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yeah, the mtfs seems to indicate that the FE 35 is about a stop behind the RX1 in the corners, but as sharp or sharper in the center of the frame at like aperture.

Oct 20, 2013 at 01:36 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.179 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
Yeah, the mtfs seems to indicate that the FE 35 is about a stop behind the RX1 in the corners, but as sharp or sharper in the center of the frame at like aperture.

While I'd love an extra stop, probably Zony (unintended but perhaps fitting typo) chose wisely when balancing size vs speed considerations. Wonder what a f/2 capable of matching RX1 performance would look like for size and weight... significantly more of both?

I love what I've seen shared by RX1 photographers; if the FE35/2.8 behaves similarly overall, I'm sold on one for a carry-everywhere optic if I do take the A7r plunge. It doesn't appear to make the overall package that much deeper than the RX1.

Oct 20, 2013 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password