Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              177      
       179              192       193       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

fredmirandafan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.178 #1 · p.178 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Who's staying up to watch the live announcement? I don't want to fall in the hype but just can't help it, eagerly wanting to know if my RX1R is still the King

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:26 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.178 #2 · p.178 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The King is Dead, Long Live the King.

Not sure if I will make it until the announcement.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:32 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.178 #3 · p.178 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

So as someone who is completely happy with the 35mm focal length and is not that bothered about having a viewfinder, the RX1 may still be the way to go...? I'm just hoping this means a flood of RX1's onto the second hand market.

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:20 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.178 #4 · p.178 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I think what I really need is a good break and to be able to use the camera freely for a while. Not really had that yet, which is ridiculous as I've had it quite a while now .

This probably won't go down well, but just a passing thought... I'm not 100% sure I really like the rendering of the lens. It's very brutal, and lacks the sort of characters I associate with fast 35mm lenses. Not exactly a bad thing, probably just something to get used to. Right now, I'd say I probably still prefer my 35/1.4 Minolta/Sony G... eg the worst lens ever made... but perhaps that is mostly related to it being 1.4 and having snappy focus.

I guess many are looking at the viability of the RX1 now the FF NEX is about. I think it's still just the same, as the lens is inside the body, has leaf shutter, but yes I expect price to shift marginally.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.178 #5 · p.178 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yeah, I only need a single lens, and I like the leaf shutter and size of the RX1, so it isn't going anywhere. Even though it would make the camera a little thicker, the lack of a tilt LCD is the only main issue I have with the RX1, but I've gotten used to it.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:33 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.178 #6 · p.178 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The size of the A7/A7r with the 35 f/2.8 is so close to the RX1 that it makes me think why not replace the RX1 with the A7. BUT, I can't do it. The RX1 lens is just unmatched as of now, the RX1 is the perfect package for me.

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.178 #7 · p.178 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

rsolti13 wrote:
The size of the A7/A7r with the 35 f/2.8 is so close to the RX1 that it makes me think why not replace the RX1 with the A7. BUT, I can't do it. The RX1 lens is just unmatched as of now, the RX1 is the perfect package for me.

Usage wise, there are actually some pretty big differences between the RX1 and A7, enough that one really needs both! I can foresee plenty of situations where one would be much more useful than the other.

Some RX1 Pros:

-Exceptional F2 lens
-Silent Leaf shutter (vs Loud shutter in A7r)
-Choice of OVF or tilting EVF or no finder at all (versus fixed EVF onA7r)
-Aperture ring on lens (versus native Zeiss FE lenses without a physical aperture ring on lens).

Some A7r Pro:

-Interchangeable lens! duh.
-Weather sealing
-36MP
1/8000 sec shutter speed
-Ergonomics/ built in grip and EVF
-Articulated LCD (versus non-articulated in RX1)
-Hot Shoe on top of EVF (unlike RX1 where one must choose EVF, OVF OR other use of Hot Shoe).

I'm sure there are plenty more but these seem to be the ones that stand out to me.

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:44 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.178 #8 · p.178 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

That looks about right to me, Tariq, although I guess one could say that size is still an advantage with the RX1.

My taped up RX1 is probably kinda close in weather capability to the A7, I'd imagine, so the tilt screen is really the only thing that I'm a bit lustful for. Maybe they'll add that on the RX1ii?

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:33 PM
farfisa

p.178 #9 · p.178 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste wrote:
This probably won't go down well, but just a passing thought... I'm not 100% sure I really like the rendering of the lens. It's very brutal, and lacks the sort of characters I associate with fast 35mm lenses. Not exactly a bad thing, probably just something to get used to. Right now, I'd say I probably still prefer my 35/1.4 Minolta/Sony G... eg the worst lens ever made... but perhaps that is mostly related to it being 1.4 and having snappy focus.

Well at least there are two of us!

I've had the RX1 for only a week now, and sold my beloved Minolta (original) 35/1.4 in order to justify it (I had the Sony 35G before that, but liked the Minolta colours better). Although not without its flaws (they don't call it the worst lens ever made for nothing) I find the Minolta / Sony has a certain character to it, and the RX1 is a bit lacking there.

Still the performance of the RX1 is astounding.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:27 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.178 #10 · p.178 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

For those interested, MTF comparison of RX1 and 35/2.8 FE at wide open and f8:

RX1:

35/2.8 FE

p.s. and 55/1.8 FE, for fun:

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.178 #11 · p.178 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thanks Douglas. For those that don't know, Sony MTFs are theoretical, unlike Zeiss MTF's, so both of these are a little optimistic. I also read in the specs that the FE 35 2.8 also uses three aspherical elements. I'm sure Sony attempted to match the RX1 performance as close as possible with the 35 2.8. The 55 looks exceptional, which I expected after seeing the official F2 A7r samples from that lens.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:01 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.178 #12 · p.178 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Thanks Douglas. For those that don't know, Sony MTFs are theoretical, unlike Zeiss MTF's, so both of these are a little optimistic. I also read in the specs that the FE 35 2.8 also uses three aspherical elements. I'm sure Sony attempted to match the RX1 performance as close as possible with the 35 2.8. The 55 looks exceptional, which I expected after seeing the official F2 A7r samples from that lens.

Yeah, optimistic, although Leica's are, too. Either way, good for comparison between the two cameras. Looks to be about what I expected. New 35/2.8 may have slight sharpness advantage in center, but edges go to the RX1. It'll be interesting to see how they compare in regards to distortion.

The 55/1.8 looks like it could be a real M and ZM killer, outside of maybe the size.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:05 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.178 #13 · p.178 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

that 55 looks amazing. On paper, looks better than any 50mm south of $7,000 except maybe the Otus

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:56 PM
fredmirandafan

p.178 #14 · p.178 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Usage wise, there are actually some pretty big differences between the RX1 and A7, enough that one really needs both!

Hence my original post questioning my own sanity of wanting both

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Some RX1 Pros:
-Exceptional F2 lens
-Silent Leaf shutter (vs Loud shutter in A7r)
-Choice of OVF or tilting EVF or no finder at all (versus fixed EVF onA7r)
-Aperture ring on lens (versus native Zeiss FE lenses without a physical aperture ring on lens).
really needs both!

Item in red is maybe non-negotiable for me, I shoot everywhere, streets, events, functions so, I really don't want "people across the street to hear me clicking." That's how loud the camerastoretv guy in the video claims.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Some A7r Pro:
-Interchangeable lens! duh.
-Weather sealing
-36MP
-1/8000 sec shutter speed
-Ergonomics/ built in grip and EVF
-Articulated LCD (versus non-articulated in RX1)
-Hot Shoe on top of EVF (unlike RX1 where one must choose EVF, OVF OR other use of Hot Shoe).

Items in red is what I wish my RX1R have now. It is going to start raining constantly here for 6 months, and I don't want my RX1R to be sitting at home!

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
fredmirandafan

p.178 #15 · p.178 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
The 55/1.8 looks like it could be a real M and ZM killer, outside of maybe the size.

But it won't be an Otus killer, would it? At $1000, I don't think Zeiss would under-cut themselves like this? But if the performance is close, plus we already know it's weather-sealed, then the A7R+55mm/1.8 will become an amazing combo!

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.178 #16 · p.178 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

fredmirandafan wrote:
Item in red is maybe non-negotiable for me, I shoot everywhere, streets, events, functions so, I really don't want "people across the street to hear me clicking." That's how loud the camerastoretv guy in the video claims.

Items in red is what I wish my RX1R have now. It is going to start raining constantly here for 6 months, and I don't want my RX1R to be sitting at home!

I would like to know more about the weather sealing as different places are reporting it quite differently. Imaging Resource says Sony claims the A7's are "Dust and Moisture Resistant" while DpReview boldly describes them as "Weather Proof". Sony doesn't really go into details so until we know more, I'm inclined to put little faith in these being anywhere close to "Weather Proof". I'm not so sure any of these (A7's or RX1's) would fare too well in a downpour without protection for instance.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.178 #17 · p.178 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I taped up the flash and side door of my RX1, and I use a small soft release to cover the hole on my shutter button. I don't think I'd feel any more or less confident using my RX1 vs. the A7 in bad weather.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.178 #18 · p.178 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
I taped up the flash and side door of my RX1, and I use a small soft release to cover the hole on my shutter button. I don't think I'd feel any more or less confident using my RX1 vs. the A7 in bad weather.

Yes, I almost suggested to Fredmirandafan that he use your measures.

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:02 AM
fredmirandafan

p.178 #19 · p.178 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:

I may have to resort to your method in the meantime, as rain season is starting soon, and A7 won't ship until December.

How big is your soft release? I have a Bip (or maybe Bop?) but I'm more concerned about the part around the shutter (instead of the hole) which seems to retain water in the little "container". Not sure whether that "container" is sealed or that it leaks right into the body.

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:04 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.178 #20 · p.178 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

fredmirandafan wrote:
I may have to resort to your method in the meantime, as rain season is starting soon, and A7 won't ship until December.

How big is your soft release? I have a Bip (or maybe Bop?) but I'm more concerned about the part around the shutter (instead of the hole) which seems to retain water in the little "container". Not sure whether that "container" is sealed or that it leaks right into the body.

link to soft release

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password