Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              176      
177
       178              192       193       end
  

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
  
 
fredmirandafan
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #1 · p.177 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
Is it crazy? That all depends on what you want and how you use the RX1R. If you shoot at F2 a lot, yes it's crazy.

I almost never shoot with f2, actually I don't know what subjects to shoot with f2, simply too shallow for my street photography stuff.

Tariq Gibran wroteIf, like me, you use the EVF tilted up, then it would also be crazy.
After having my RX1R for three months, I still haven't received the EVF that I've ordered from Day 1, so I don't miss the big chunky EVF either.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Also keep in mind that the A7R + 35mm 2.8 will not likely match the RX1(r) in price. You are looking at $2200 for the A7r body and very likely $1000 for the 35 2.8. So, $3200 for a package that is one stop slower vs $2800 (RX1r).

Don't forget after the $450 EVF, the RX1R is effecively $3250, same or more than the A7R + $1000 lens.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Of course, what you get is interchangeable lens capability, more MP's (which we have to see how effective that is vs the RX1 (r)) and wether sealing for the body (but what about the lens?) so that's the trade off.

You're right, there is no mention of weather sealing for the lenses, so it will be odd if Sony introduces a weather-sealed body without weather-sealed lenses.


Tariq Gibran wrote:
I should add, IF you like using an optical finder in the RX1 hotshoe, that probably does not make much sense with the A7r.

I never use an optical finder on the RX1, so this is not a problem.



Oct 15, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #2 · p.177 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Sounds like you are a candidate for the A7r then. Turns out, that 35 2.8 is cheaper than I thought by $200 (so it's $800) though the A7r body is now $100 more.

Good point about adding the cost of the RX1 EVF.

I use F2 often for portraits and low light myself plus there is an increase to the already great quality of the RX1 when stopping down slightly and shooting at 2.8 and 4. I would imagine best performance on that 35 2.8 will require F4 and 5.6 - so one stop poorer than the RX1 all the way around. Obviously, that's just a guess though. If it performs as good as the Zeiss ZM Biogon 35 2.8, folks are going to be really happy. That's the lens I would likely use on the A7r myself.



Oct 15, 2013 at 03:02 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #3 · p.177 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Yeah, even though I usually shoot stopped down some, I find f2 to be great for 35mm portraits, so it would be hard for me to give that option up, since I'm only shooting a single lens. It was one of the things that bugged me with my X100 cameras (f3.2 equivalent.).


Oct 15, 2013 at 03:36 PM
fredmirandafan
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #4 · p.177 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
Sounds like you are a candidate for the A7r then. ...
I use F2 often for portraits and low light myself plus there is an increase to the already great quality of the RX1 when stopping down slightly and shooting at 2.8 and 4. I would imagine best performance on that 35 2.8 will require F4 and 5.6 - so one stop poorer than the RX1 all the way around.

yea, I wonder who else are like me may be getting the A7(R) due to its built-in EVF, weather sealing and tiltable LCD?

The "1-stop poorer" performance of the Zeiss 35mm/2.8 is my only concern, until the reviews come out, I guess we just won't know.

douglasf13 wrote:
It was one of the things that bugged me with my X100 cameras (f3.2 equivalent.).

Yea the Olympus 17mm/1.8 is also bugging me with its f3.5 equivalent at wide open which is not its best f-stop either. There is nothing as small and light as the RX1(R) that is f2.0 and still producing amazing images. I could compromise with f2.8 but not lower.

Speaking of f2.0, what sort of portraits do you shoot at this aperture? Head-shot? Shoulder? Half body or full body? I'm always afraid of missing focus at f2.0 and the background blur may be too much to reveal the "environment" too. Maybe I just need to see some good f2.0 shots to convince me to keep the RX1R!



Oct 15, 2013 at 08:51 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #5 · p.177 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


fredmirandafan wrote:
Speaking of f2.0, what sort of portraits do you shoot at this aperture? Head-shot? Shoulder? Half body or full body? I'm always afraid of missing focus at f2.0 and the background blur may be too much to reveal the "environment" too. Maybe I just need to see some good f2.0 shots to convince me to keep the RX1R!


speaking just for myself i think 35mm at f/2 is just about perfect for environmental protraiture usually waist up or more + considerable amount of the surroundings. a few examples if you're willing to endure more pics of my daughter:






it's works nicely for head shots too, though i'm not terribly fond of that type of portrait to begin with and you do have to watch the perspective and angle, otherwise it can look a bit unflattering:

the rx1 lens is great for manual focus because it gives so much pop when it's in focus, imho the AF is too slow for use on people in portraits unless they are posing.



Edited on Oct 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM · View previous versions



Oct 15, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Tariq Gibran
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #6 · p.177 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


fredmirandafan wrote:
yea, I wonder who else are like me may be getting the A7(R) due to its built-in EVF, weather sealing and tiltable LCD?

The "1-stop poorer" performance of the Zeiss 35mm/2.8 is my only concern, until the reviews come out, I guess we just won't know.


We will not know for sure until we see some tests and comparisons. I'm just basing my educated guess on the fact that almost all lenses perform better stopped down at least a little from wide open - typically two or three stops. I find the RX1 to be better in this respect in that it's wide open performance is already really good, though it too gets better one or two stops down.

It will certainly be interesting to see how the new 35 2.8 performs on both A7 and A7r as Sony has previously stated that the RX1 performance was not achievable on an interchangeable lens camera. It may just be they mean at F2 which is why the new lens is 2.8.



Oct 15, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Picture This!
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #7 · p.177 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


beautiful shots Sebboh ! Goes to show that today's cameras will still work and put out great pics even after the A7*


Oct 15, 2013 at 09:40 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #8 · p.177 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
We will not know for sure until we see some tests and comparisons. I'm just basing my educated guess on the fact that almost all lenses perform better stopped down at least a little from wide open - typically two or three stops. I find the RX1 to be better in this respect in that it's wide open performance is already really good, though it too gets better one or two stops down.

It will certainly be interesting to see how the new 35 2.8 performs on both A7 and A7r as Sony has previously stated that the RX1
...Show more

It doesn't have to be like that. The 35/2.8 could be an RX1 35/2 stopped down to 2.8 and all the unnecessary bits cut off



Oct 15, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #9 · p.177 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


carstenw wrote:
It doesn't have to be like that. The 35/2.8 could be an RX1 35/2 stopped down to 2.8 and all the unnecessary bits cut off


It can't physically be like that because of how extremely close to the sensor the RX1 35mm lens sits. This new lens may be loosely based on the RX1 lens but it is certainly modified greatly due to the rear element proximity to the sensor. There may also be a question as to whether the HUGE RX1 rear element would even go through the front of the mount!



Oct 15, 2013 at 09:49 PM
fredmirandafan
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #10 · p.177 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


sebboh wrote:
speaking just for myself i think 35mm at f/2 is just about perfect for environmental protraiture usually waist up or more + considerable amount of the surroundings. a few examples if you're willing to endure more pics of my daughter

Beautiful family, sebboh. I see what you mean with the f2.0 pop, the rendering is just so 3D and smooth, this has inspired me to try more portraits at f2.0, but without the EVF, it's really hard to confirm focus. But when I move in closer to try to fill the frame, I run into the issue of distorting faces too. Those of you who regularly shoot at f2.0, do you find the EVF helping or critical in nailing the focus?



Oct 15, 2013 at 09:59 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



fredmirandafan
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #11 · p.177 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


carstenw wrote:
It doesn't have to be like that. The 35/2.8 could be an RX1 35/2 stopped down to 2.8 and all the unnecessary bits cut off

I want to believe this too, but it's probably just wishful thinking on my part, ie. Retaining the form factor of RX1(R) while achieving the same or better quality of the Zeiss 35mm/2.0 lens.

If 35mm/2.8 is not a good performer, does one have to go to Sigma ART 35mm/1.4 lens on the A7(R) to get the IQ of the 35/2.0

I guess time will tell.



Oct 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #12 · p.177 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Having seen all manner of comparisons with the RX1 Sonnar, its images look dissimilar to everything else, so if they get 'close' that will be a win, the Sonnar is the obvious design reference point.

The 35/2.8 is reported as costing ~$800, with the somewhat large 55/1.8 being $1000...that one might be to head off the need for a 50mm 'RX1', that much will mean a very good 50mm, or an overpriced fail of course.

Putting a 665 gram DSLR lens with largish adapter on a ~330-350 gram mirrorless body might not be ideal. Speaking of adapters, I hope someone makes a very high quality dumb A mount one for the a7r. One also with a good tripod mount for the non-IBIS cameras would be neat, there will be room.



Oct 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #13 · p.177 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
It can't physically be like that because of how extremely close to the sensor the RX1 35mm lens sits. This new lens may be loosely based on the RX1 lens but it is certainly modified greatly due to the rear element proximity to the sensor. There may also be a question as to whether the HUGE RX1 rear element would even go through the front of the mount!


Well, not necessarily again The importance isn't how close the glass is to the sensor, but at what angle the rays are allowed to land, with good image quality. If Zeiss can design the f/2.8 lens with a rear element which isn't as close (which was presumably needed to cancel some aberrations which won't be there on an f/2.8 lens), but lets the rays fall at the same angle, well, Bob's your uncle, eh?

Let's see. I think the 35/2.8 could hold some promise, image quality wise, but obviously the special look at f/2 will be gone forever, never to return.



Oct 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #14 · p.177 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


fredmirandafan wrote:
If 35mm/2.8 is not a good performer


I cannot imagine this scenario. It may lose some of the magic of the RX1, but it will surely be good.



Oct 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Tariq Gibran
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #15 · p.177 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


carstenw wrote:
Well, not necessarily again The importance isn't how close the glass is to the sensor, but at what angle the rays are allowed to land, with good image quality. If Zeiss can design the f/2.8 lens with a rear element which isn't as close (which was presumably needed to cancel some aberrations which won't be there on an f/2.8 lens), but lets the rays fall at the same angle, well, Bob's your uncle, eh?

Let's see. I think the 35/2.8 could hold some promise, image quality wise, but obviously the special look at f/2 will be gone forever, never to
...Show more

Oh, I'm sure the 35 2.8 will be a good lens - possibly great- but the design, strictly speaking, of the RX1 35 is different just from what we already know. The RX1 35 lens consists of 8 elements in 7 groups with 3 of those elements being aspherical (one of which being what Sony Zeiss call "Advanced Aspherical" whatever that means). The new FE 35 2.8 consists of 7 elements in 5 groups. We don't know about asphericals yet. Both are designated Sonnars. That's not to say Zeiss did not use the same or similar design principles but it's not going to be the same exact design just scaled down.



Oct 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM
fredmirandafan
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #16 · p.177 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I desperately need a FF 50mm or 85mm in a small package like the RX1(R), but there is no indication if Sony will ever make a RX2/3 at longer fixed FL, so the A7R will be the only option for 2013 it seems. But then the FF Zeiss lenses are huge already at 50mm, can't imagine how big the 85mm will be. The only compromise is to pair it with the excellent Nikon 50 and 85 f/1.8 with but who knows how big the adapters are and if there will be ray angle issues with the Nikon??

I guess it's not time to pre-order yet?



Oct 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM
fredmirandafan
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #17 · p.177 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


carstenw wrote:
Let's see. I think the 35/2.8 could hold some promise, image quality wise, but obviously the special look at f/2 will be gone forever, never to return.


Unless i keep my RX1R and just use A7R for 50mm or 85mm? But wow isn't this heavy on my wallet?

But then I may be able to convince myself that a single Leica lens is already more than A7R+lens combined



Oct 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Tariq Gibran
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #18 · p.177 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


fredmirandafan wrote:
I desperately need a FF 50mm or 85mm in a small package like the RX1(R), but there is no indication if Sony will ever make a RX2/3 at longer fixed FL, so the A7R will be the only option for 2013 it seems. But then the FF Zeiss lenses are huge already at 50mm, can't imagine how big the 85mm will be. The only compromise is to pair it with the excellent Nikon 50 and 85 f/1.8 with but who knows how big the adapters are and if there will be ray angle issues with the Nikon??

I guess it's not
...Show more

The Nikon F register distance is 46.5mm and the Sony E-Mount is 18mm so I guess the Nikon adapter must be the difference (28.5mm), just over an inch. I highly doubt there would be any mechanical vignetting issues with a 50 or 85.



Oct 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #19 · p.177 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Tariq Gibran wrote:
Oh, I'm sure the 35 2.8 will be a good lens - possibly great- but the design, strictly speaking, of the RX1 35 is different just from what we already know. The RX1 35 lens consists of 8 elements in 7 groups with 3 of those elements being aspherical (one of which being what Sony Zeiss call "Advanced Aspherical" whatever that means). The new FE 35 2.8 consists of 7 elements in 5 groups. We don't know about asphericals yet. Both are designated Sonnars. That's not to say Zeiss did not use the same or similar design principles but
...Show more

It's the rear element that is "advanced aspherical." It is really complex:







Edited on Oct 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM · View previous versions



Oct 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM
charles.K
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #20 · p.177 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


fredmirandafan wrote:
I desperately need a FF 50mm or 85mm in a small package like the RX1(R), but there is no indication if Sony will ever make a RX2/3 at longer fixed FL, so the A7R will be the only option for 2013 it seems. But then the FF Zeiss lenses are huge already at 50mm, can't imagine how big the 85mm will be. The only compromise is to pair it with the excellent Nikon 50 and 85 f/1.8 with but who knows how big the adapters are and if there will be ray angle issues with the Nikon??

I guess it's not
...Show more

With you here, as I love the RX1R, but I am not a 35mm shooter. I most definitely prefer the 50mm, so the A7r paired with a smaller Leica 50, should play well together...hoping anyway I think the 50 won't be the issue, as the Zeiss 35/2.8 looks great, but WA's will be the test!



Oct 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1       2       3              176      
177
       178              192       193       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              176      
177
       178              192       193       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password