Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              171      
       173              192       193       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.172 #1 · p.172 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Douglas, I'm curious. When you use the LCD during shooting, do you just quickly glance at it or do you spend a lot of time looking at it?

Intereting question. I guess I'd say that I spend most of the time just looking at the scene without any viewing device, so it seems that it is a bit of a quick glance. With a 35mm lens, I can pretty accurately determine the horizontal viewing angle of a scene without using a viewfinder at all, so I'm not walking around with the viewfinder (of any type) stuck to my face or anything. I just use the viewfinder for the last second framing and focus confirmation. Maybe that's why the LCD isn't bothering me??

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:04 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.172 #2 · p.172 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Next you will be walking around with a blind fold and touting your new "live-mind-view method".

Douglas, re: Voigtlander finder. Do you know if there is an eye cup of sorts made for it? The side that you push your face/eye up again. Or is it a DIY job only ?

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.172 #3 · p.172 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
Intereting question. I guess I'd say that I spend most of the time just looking at the scene without any viewing device, so it seems that it is a bit of a quick glance. With a 35mm lens, I can pretty accurately determine the horizontal viewing angle of a scene without using a viewfinder at all, so I'm not walking around with the viewfinder (of any type) stuck to my face or anything. I just use the viewfinder for the last second framing and focus confirmation. Maybe that's why the LCD isn't bothering me??

That's exactly what I expected. Most really experienced photographers I know (and, of course, it entirely depends subject matter) shoot similarly. Learn the tool and then forget about it once it becomes second nature.

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:10 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.172 #4 · p.172 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste wrote:
Next you will be walking around with a blind fold and touting your new "live-mind-view method".

Funny you should mention that... A great creative exercise, particularly for students (and a way to hone ones skills) is to not use any finder at all and see how good one can become at estimating the composition captured by the lens/ camera. It can also have the side benefit of making one think/ concentrate more on the subject rather than the silly gadget between them and their subject.

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:16 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.172 #5 · p.172 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste wrote:

Douglas, re: Voigtlander finder. Do you know if there is an eye cup of sorts made for it? The side that you push your face/eye up again. Or is it a DIY job only ?

Yeah, maybe I should skip the camera altogether and just try to remember what I see.

I haven't seen any eyecup solutions for the Voigtlander finder.

Sep 10, 2013 at 02:48 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.172 #6 · p.172 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

got my RX1R + EVF today Will eventually get the FF NEX, but for my two upcoming
trips there is no way I would not get this little guy...
What grip do you guys think is the best, want to get the RRS for the tripod mount,
any other option?

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:58 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.172 #7 · p.172 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

snowboarder wrote:
got my RX1R + EVF today Will eventually get the FF NEX, but for my two upcoming
trips there is no way I would not get this little guy...
What grip do you guys think is the best, want to get the RRS for the tripod mount,
any other option?

I like the inexpensive, Fotodiox option:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-DSC-RX1-Cyber-Shot-Digital-Battery/dp/B00DGC7LBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378869407&sr=8-1&keywords=fotodiox+rx1

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.172 #8 · p.172 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

...hmm. If snowboarder wants a grip for tripod use I don't see the point in recommending a grip without an inbuilt Arca-Swiss plate. I use the expensive RRS grip. Since I bought it I think there is another option which also sports an AS compatible plate, wait a moment...
Here
This Kangrinpoche grip is an option: Link to DPR thread about it
Our friend John Milich also makes an AS compatible grip,
check his posts at GetDPI.
Maybe there are more options.

Afterhaving added som friction tape to my RRS grip I'm perfectly happy with it. It's a *very* nice fit to the camera bottom plate, rock steady and doesn't miss any feature. I use the complete set including the L plate.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.172 #9 · p.172 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
...hmm. If snowboarder wants a grip for tripod use I don't see the point in recommending a grip without an inbuilt Arca-Swiss plate.

Why? Not everyone universally uses Arca-Swiss compatible tripod heads. If Snowboarder uses an Arca-Swiss style head, then sure. I use a Bogen quick release system myself.

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.172 #10 · p.172 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Maybe I read in too much in want to get the RRS for the tripod mount. That didn't make me think he wanted a grip with a bottom plate not fitting any clamp system at all (as is the case with the Fotodiox grip). Maybe he wanted an A-S compatible plate but you may be right; he may want another sort of plate but it didn't come to my mind from reading his question.

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.172 #11 · p.172 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
Maybe I read in too much in . That didn't make me think he wanted a grip with a bottom plate not fitting any clamp system at all (as is the case with the Fotodiox grip). Maybe he wanted an A-S compatible plate but you may be right; he may want another sort of plate but it didn't come to my mind from reading his question.

You're probably right.

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:07 PM
desvenne

p.172 #12 · p.172 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochenb wrote:
The belgian store has the same distribution center as the Netherlands, but yes who knows? I hope they've really fixed it then.
Nice price, do you get the same 2-year warranty when buying a refurb?

Yes same warranty for refurbs here (and also 30 day return window.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:56 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.172 #13 · p.172 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
...hmm. If snowboarder wants a grip for tripod use I don't see the point in recommending a grip without an inbuilt Arca-Swiss plate. I use the expensive RRS grip. Since I bought it I think there is another option which also sports an AS compatible plate, wait a moment...
Here
This Kangrinpoche grip is an option: Link to DPR thread about it
Our friend John Milich also makes an AS compatible grip,
check his posts at GetDPI.
Maybe there are more options.

Afterhaving added som friction tape to my RRS grip I'm perfectly happy with it. It's a *very* nice fit to the camera
...Show more

Thanks Jonas, yes, I see no point in a grip+plate which is as big as RRS, but doesn't have the quick release.
My RRS will be here tomorrow, so I'm fine. Thanks!

The camera is great, really nice files, just almost too small. And I'm not a giant...

The grip should solve it.

Sep 11, 2013 at 09:44 PM
northerner

p.172 #14 · p.172 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Has anyone managed long exposure panoramics using a stitch method? I'm trying to establish how achievable that would be or whether I should keep the D700 for that purpose.

Ideally seascapes/water landscape photo's. Is it generally too hit an miss using that method?

If anyone has any they've taken I'd appreciate a post.

Thanks,

Tony

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.172 #15 · p.172 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Wow, look at the flood of RX1 on Buy/Sell, and the price is dropping fast. I wonder if FF NEX coming in a few weeks have anything to do with this. At this rate, it almost tempting to pick one up for $1500 when the NEX is announced. This Fall is so full of dizzying gear choices... must... hold... back...

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:13 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.172 #16 · p.172 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Got my RRS grip+plate, it's superb! Perfect fit, really well made!

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:50 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.172 #17 · p.172 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

OK, I know I'm late to this party and I resisted joining it mostly because of the LCD which can't be tilted
(still sucks), but this thing is out of this world! Seriously great image quality.
Yes, it's a little too small almost and the RRS grip helps a lot. But that lens, damn, it is good.
They will have a hard time matching the FF NEX to this gem. People will be comparing those two,
Sony I hope you are up to the task!
I'm going for a great trip in a couple of weeks and will come back with tons of photos, will try to
do a serious RX1R vs NEX 6 with best Leica glass shootout, but I feel this thing will allow me to
wait a bit before jumping on the FF NEX wagon. Let's see first how well it will handle M lenses...

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.172 #18 · p.172 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Poor NEX 6/Leica combo... I'm happy you like the RRS grip. My hands are about medium and I too find the grip essential.

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.172 #19 · p.172 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

snowboarder wrote:
They will have a hard time matching the FF NEX to this gem. People will be comparing those two,
Sony I hope you are up to the task!

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen. The RX1 lens is amazing. Best 35mm lens I have ever used bar none.

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.172 #20 · p.172 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

quick random question. I just purchased an rx1 and it should be here next week but I like to sometimes bracket scenes and I've been getting conflicting numbers on how many exposures you can shoot with the rx1. Is it just 3 aeb or is it 3 aeb and 5 aeb?

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password