Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              170      
       172              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #1 · p.171 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Very weird / interesting observation re: in camera corrections. It's certainly good to know, but in reality I don't think you're ever going to underexpose by 6 stops, so I think you'll be fine.

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:31 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #2 · p.171 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
Very weird / interesting observation re: in camera corrections. It's certainly good to know, but in reality I don't think you're ever going to underexpose by 6 stops, so I think you'll be fine.

The artifacts show up in less strenuous conditions as well - I used -6EV to characterize the full radial pattern.

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:41 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.171 #3 · p.171 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Do you/we have any measure of when these artifacts come into place? Just wondering if I should be turning that thing off, too.

Sep 09, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.171 #4 · p.171 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I think we can turn it the other way round: What good does it do having all those power and time consuming gadgets on? If nothing essential (for a raw shooter as anyone really should be imo) just turn it off, for [xxxx].

Or, I may be wrong, are many here shooting in-camera JPGs? Maybe time for a poll - I usually think nearly everybody here shoot raw, or shoot raw+JPG where it is the raw format file that is used for processing.

Sep 09, 2013 at 12:23 PM
desvenne

p.171 #5 · p.171 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

So… I just noticed that the Belgian Sony store has refurb RX-1's in stock. It's probably JochenB's defective one

Anyone here bought a refurb RX1?

New @ sony: 3100
online retailer: 2800
sony refurb: 2450

Under 2500 is starting to look good

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.171 #6 · p.171 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

desvenne wrote:
So… I just noticed that the Belgian Sony store has refurb RX-1's in stock. It's probably JochenB's defective one

Anyone here bought a refurb RX1?

New @ sony: 3100
online retailer: 2800
sony refurb: 2450

Under 2500 is starting to look good

The belgian store has the same distribution center as the Netherlands, but yes who knows? I hope they've really fixed it then.
Nice price, do you get the same 2-year warranty when buying a refurb?

Sep 09, 2013 at 02:51 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.171 #7 · p.171 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I shoot raw + small jpeg, simply because the camera loads a review image faster when you shoot raw + jpeg, but I only process the raw.

I leave camera shading off, because it makes color shift worse, and can lead to the issues illustrated above. I leave distortion correction on, simply because I correct distortion most of the time with the RX1 Lightroom profile, so I figured that I should frame that way in-camera as well. Can't remember about CA correction. I haven't noticed a difference when on or off and shooting raw.

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:00 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.171 #8 · p.171 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thoughts on EVF vs. no EVF?

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.171 #9 · p.171 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Well, you know how much I love EVF's but I do prefer to use one on the RX1 myself for the information and feedback it provides. I also like to hold the RX1 at chest level with the EVF tilted at about a 45 degree angle. I do have an optical finder which I might start using occasionally.

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.171 #10 · p.171 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

carstenw wrote:
Thoughts on EVF vs. no EVF?

I vastly prefer using it with the EVF. It makes shooting the camera more engaging and the EVF also acts as an image stabilizer. The camera just is more easy to hold steady when you can press it to your face.

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:23 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.171 #11 · p.171 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I returned the EVF in favor of my OVF when I bought the camera. I can't believe I'm saying this, but, lately, I've started to come full circle on the viewfinder thing, and I've been simply using the camera's LCD. 35mm is probably the easiest focal length to visualize without a viewfinder at all, so I'm really not even sure I need my OVF, and I kind of like using the LCD of the camera at about collarbone level, with my elbows locked at my side. It's pretty easy to use my left hand to shade the LCD, when needed.

I'm currently going viewfinder-less at the moment, but we'll see if it lasts.

Sep 09, 2013 at 03:23 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.171 #12 · p.171 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jochenb wrote:
I vastly prefer using it with the EVF. It makes shooting the camera more engaging and the EVF also acts as an image stabilizer. The camera just is more easy to hold steady when you can press it to your face.

+1

the evf also makes manual focus with no zoom very easy compared to the lcd which takes some squinting and a good viewing angle.

that said, i haven't bought the evf yet and am still making due as i'm making myself wait till i've sold some gear and need motivation to post the listings. i'm also hoping a higher res evf will be announced sometime soon since the next NEX-7 is rumored to have a higher res evf.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:14 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.171 #13 · p.171 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

oh, i always keep vignetting correction, CA correction, and distortion correction turned off.

i'd rather decide after the fact whether they're helpful. most shots end up getting CA correction done in lightroom, but pretty much only cityscapes get distortion correction (i generally find people pictures to be improved by keeping the distortion), and i almost always add vignetting rather than correcting for it.

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:20 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.171 #14 · p.171 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

douglasf13 wrote:
I'm currently going viewfinder-less at the moment, but we'll see if it lasts.

You have now entered the hall of shame
sebboh wrote:
i'm also hoping a higher res evf will be announced sometime soon since the next NEX-7 is rumored to have a higher res evf.

Well I'm hoping it'll be better, more customisable, and with a LOCK. That's what I'm hoping in the "next evf". Whether we ever get one, I dunno...

Sep 09, 2013 at 04:40 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #15 · p.171 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I tried to be kind by not commenting on the 6 stops recovery, but here I am.

It's all settings off for me, interesting to hear the IR comes up faster with a jpeg option on. Distortion is 50/50 for my work, so it's off.

EVF, I love setting up with them and being able to keep the camera at the eye level for setup, shooting and review.

Maybe Sony could provide a fix for the EVF mount for existing units, would be sad to see it take a tumble down a hillside. Mine never leaves the camera, even got a bag to suit.

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:03 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.171 #16 · p.171 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

sebboh wrote:
oh, i always keep vignetting correction, CA correction, and distortion correction turned off.

i'd rather decide after the fact whether they're helpful. most shots end up getting CA correction done in lightroom, but pretty much only cityscapes get distortion correction (i generally find people pictures to be improved by keeping the distortion), and i almost always add vignetting rather than correcting for it.

Only the vignetting correction seems to get written to the raw, so it doesn't really matter with the CA and distortion correction. I only correct my camera distortion about half of the time in the raw converter, but I leave distortion correction on, because I'd rather be surprised with more of the scene, rather than less.

I agree about people pics. Unless their faces are centered in the middle of the frame, the barrel distortion tends to make people look better.

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:30 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.171 #17 · p.171 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
You have now entered the hall of shame

Ha! I know, I'm really circling the drain. Ever since I got my laser eye surgery, I can focus very well up close, so the LCD is like a big EVF when only 7" from my face. This whole LCD shooting thing may not be as bad as I once thought. Oddly enough, I just measured the ground glass of my Hasselblad Vs, and they're about the same diagonal as the RX1's LCD, so I guess I should be used to it.

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:45 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.171 #18 · p.171 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Trying to redeem yourself by referencing your Hasselblad

Sep 10, 2013 at 04:50 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.171 #19 · p.171 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
Trying to redeem yourself by referencing your Hasselblad

Nope. Just realizing that I've been a bit snobby in not taking the rear LCD seriously as a viewing method, and it is starting to become my favorite method of viewing on the RX1, which makes sense, since EVF is to pentaprism as LCD is to ground glass.

Despite having the nice tilt, my NEX LCDs were effectively smaller, because they used a different image ratio, and the quality wasn't as good, so I never took to them like I have with the RX1's LCD.

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.171 #20 · p.171 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Douglas, I'm curious. When you use the LCD during shooting, do you just quickly glance at it or do you spend a lot of time looking at it?

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:54 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.