Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              166      
       168              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.167 #1 · p.167 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philip_pj wrote:
Over at DxO, a comparison review of the RX1r and RX1 showing the RX1 getting a better score than the AA less version - they sound almost perplexed by this, with some head-scratching over the DR data:

It is interesting because the only real difference is only at peak DR, at ISO 100. Time will tell.

They certainly trust their measurements as they are publishing their data. My first guess is they run into some glitch. They don't say anything about having measured over and over again, or tried another copy of the camera(s). I know Sony is about making beliefs.... but they could have told us about how they got this somewhat controversial figure when measuring the DR.

Aug 24, 2013 at 02:13 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.167 #2 · p.167 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

That DxO comparison showing a .7 stop dynamic range advantage to the RX1 is not insignificant. If test error nor camera sample error is the cause (which I don't expect it is), this result would confirm the slightly harsh/ digital RX1r rendering (as compared to RX) in the highlights (the RX1 looks to have a smoother roll-off) I first noticed when looking at RX1r images. It will be interesting to see if DxO posts a follow up at some point for this DR difference.

Aug 24, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.167 #3 · p.167 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

It is puzzling though; why only at base ISO?

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:20 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.167 #4 · p.167 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I kind of love that the DXO Mark tests show varying DR results, regardless of the reason. Now, those who were debating on whether to slightly improve resolution with the RX1R are going to toil over the decision to loose a bit of DR to gain that resolution. It's a camera nerd's worst nightmare!

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:01 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.167 #5 · p.167 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Oh.... don't you enjoy this 166+ pages thread?

And for the record, I much prefer more dynamic range and less artifacts to the increase in resolution.

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:06 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.167 #6 · p.167 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Oh, for the record, I certainly think I fall under the category of camera nerd.

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:11 AM
FMTopFan
• •
p.167 #7 · p.167 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

douglasf13 wrote:
Now, those who were debating on whether to slightly improve resolution with the RX1R are going to toil over the decision to loose a bit of DR to gain that resolution. It's a camera nerd's worst nightmare!

This is really a shock, why would removing the AA filter lead to lower DR?

More importantly, 0.7 stop sounds quite a bit. How much does this affect Highlight Recover in ACR/LR?

I only have a few days left before I can exchange the RX1R for RX1 at Sony, any tests I could do in the meantime to see if there's real world difference? But without the RX1, I don't know what to compare to?!

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.167 #8 · p.167 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

fredmirandafan wrote:
I only have a few days left before I can exchange the RX1R for RX1 at Sony, any tests I could do in the meantime to see if there's real world difference? But without the RX1, I don't know what to compare to?!

Were you happy with the RX1R before these DxO ratings? If yes... keep it and worry less.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.167 #9 · p.167 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jochenb wrote:
Were you happy with the RX1R before these DxO ratings? If yes... keep it and worry less.

+1

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM
FMTopFan
• •
p.167 #10 · p.167 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
That DxO comparison showing a .7 stop dynamic range advantage to the RX1 is not insignificant. If test error nor camera sample error is the cause (which I don't expect it is), this result would confirm the slightly harsh/ digital RX1r rendering (as compared to RX) in the highlights (the RX1 looks to have a smoother roll-off) I first noticed when looking at RX1r images. It will be interesting to see if DxO posts a follow up at some point for this DR difference.

@Tariq, which of these RX1R images did you see? I was actually surprised by how harsh the highlights are from my first images of RX1R even at base ISO shot in RAW. At first I thought it was me, but I have done three days of shooting test and they all come out the same.

These files just don't have the smooth highlight roll-off of my D800, Ricoh GR and EM5. But then I've also owned these cameras much longer so maybe I'm just not familiar with RX1R's metering yet. In any case, having another RX1 to shoot with will definitely confirm it, but I'm running out of time from my 14-day and I don't know if the Sony Store guy will loan me a RX1 to compare with

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.167 #11 · p.167 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

fredmirandafan wrote:
@Tariq, which of these RX1R images did you see? I was actually surprised by how harsh the highlights are from my first images of RX1R even at base ISO shot in RAW. At first I thought it was me, but I have done three days of shooting test and they all come out the same.

These files just don't have the smooth highlight roll-off of my D800, Ricoh GR and EM5. But then I've also owned these cameras much longer so maybe I'm just not familiar with RX1R's metering yet. In any case, having another RX1 to shoot with will
...Show more

It was an image from Steve Huff's review of the RX1r which I first commented on a while back as having harsh transitions and a steeper contrast than what I am used to out of the RX1. Here was the post midway down the page:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1222995/7

I have noticed it in other RX1r images as well though, pretty much exactly what you are saying above. You might be able to tame the contrast with more underexposure to protect the highlights and then bring the shadows up a bit in raw conversion.

Aug 24, 2013 at 04:06 PM
FMTopFan
• •
p.167 #12 · p.167 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It was an image from Steve Huff's review of the RX1r which I first commented on a while back as having harsh transitions and a steeper contrast than what I am used to out of the RX1. Here was the post midway down the page:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1222995/7

I have noticed it in other RX1r images as well though, pretty much exactly what you are saying above. You might be able to tame the contrast with more underexposure to protect the highlights and then bring the shadows up a bit in raw conversion.

Thanks for the link, interesting observations! I thought there's something wrong with me in the past few days, because I usually could do a lot of tonal adjustments but the files from RX1R (especially at Base ISO) break down in highlight areas much faster than other "inferior" cameras that I currently, which I thought was odd.

My guess is, the removal of AA filter may have enhanced "micro-contrast" but it also takes away processing latitude?! Or maybe for cameras without AA filters, the processing pipeline has to be different/tweaked, and I just haven't mastered it yet?

I have started shooting yesterday (before I read the report) with -0.3EV to compensate but it still doesn't seem to be enough, so I'll try -0.7 today (at the expense of shadow noise). I wonder if this translates to the "-0.7EV" DR deficiency that DXO mentioned.

Aug 24, 2013 at 04:34 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.167 #13 · p.167 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I have purchased the RX1R today ... It is being shipped to my local camera shop (from one of their other locations) to pick up Tuesday.
I am sure I can purchase the RX1 instead tuesday and save $400. I know dynamic range is a big deal but I am confused but have not read all the posts. I am interested in the best IQ and process from RAW in LR. Basically the reason for selecting the RX1/R.. Awesome pictures on this forum.

I just read the recent view posts.

Could anyone summarize the real world difference in IQ.
I just ordered the RX1R due to thinking the best IQ.
I normally process all my photos in LR from RAW pics.

I will backup and read additional posts but any help at the risk of repeating would really help me.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 24, 2013 at 05:54 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.167 #14 · p.167 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

makes sense to me that removing a blurring filter would produce images with higher contrast at high spatial frequencies. that's kinda the point of removing the AA filter isn't it?

Aug 24, 2013 at 07:12 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.167 #15 · p.167 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

sebboh wrote:
makes sense to me that removing a blurring filter would produce images with higher contrast at high spatial frequencies. that's kinda the point of removing the AA filter isn't it?

That's true.
I just read the Steve Huff review.. I am not having any second thought about the R
The high ISO looks incredible

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:08 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.167 #16 · p.167 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I have not looked through the electronic VF but if eyeglasses is not an issue, why would folks want the optical VF vs electronic. Is it all about being easier to look through?

Aug 24, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.167 #17 · p.167 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

moosehead222 wrote:
I have not looked through the electronic VF but if eyeglasses is not an issue, why would folks want the optical VF vs electronic. Is it all about being easier to look through?

CAN + WORMS = OPEN NOW!

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:58 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.167 #18 · p.167 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

moosehead222 wrote:

some people prefer to:
1) see the real world rather than the image the camera will take.
2) see outside of the boundaries of what the lens will capture (helpful for seeing the scene develop before the subject arrives in the desired framing). i honestly don't understand this one myself, why not just open both eyes when you look through the viewfinder?
3) see a brightly lit scene at it's actual brightness.
4) look through glass because it's what they're used to.
5) avoid evfs because that makes it not a "real" camera.

i'm sure i missed a few reasons...

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.167 #19 · p.167 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

sebboh wrote:
2) see outside of the boundaries of what the lens will capture (helpful for seeing the scene develop before the subject arrives in the desired framing). i honestly don't understand this one myself, why not just open both eyes when you look through the viewfinder?

That technique of using both eyes with one looking through the optical finder will only work if the finder is a 1:1 finder. These are rare under 50mm. Otherwise, if you use one eye to look through a reduced magnification finder and the other to look at reality, you end up seeing two pseudo superimposed images with one smaller than the other. There is no way someone could do this in practice. Have you tried this?

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.167 #20 · p.167 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
That technique of using both eyes with one looking through the optical finder will only work if the finder is a 1:1 finder. These are rare under 50mm. Otherwise, if you use one eye to look through a reduced magnification finder and the other to look at reality, you end up seeing two pseudo superimposed images with one smaller than the other. There is no way someone could do this in practice. Have you tried this?

i do this all the time because i can't wink. i do it with super-telephotos (great for tracking birds) down to wide angle lenses.

edit: it's actually easier with non-normal lenses because the images don't superimpose. manual focus is trickier with normal lenses because the images superimpose and your mine tends to disregard the out of focus one.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.