Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              165      
       167              192       193       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

andrenth

Upload & Sell: Off
p.166 #1 · p.166 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
As I recall it B&H sold them and I'm pretty sure they ship such hats to Brazil.

They do, but ask $60 for shipping...

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.166 #2 · p.166 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

USD 60 for a 17 gram (my scale) neopren thing in need of nothing else but an envelope... they obviously want you to add more things to your cart.
I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe Amazon?

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:57 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.166 #3 · p.166 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Perhaps that includes some sort of import duty as well?

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:22 PM
andrenth

p.166 #4 · p.166 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

That's what they say, but import duties only apply to items above $50 in Brazil (in which case we pay a 70% import tax... lovely isn't it?)

Anyway, I contacted Op/Tech and they pointed me to http://www.procameragear.com which has $8 shipping, so it's ordered

Aug 23, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.166 #5 · p.166 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Ah, that's better. I tried my small (or mini?) hood hat and agree with jaywpage; it's a good fit.

Aug 23, 2013 at 06:00 PM
fredmirandafan

p.166 #6 · p.166 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj wrote:
My bag was bought for the ability to use the camera imediately with EVF on, and it has never been off, camera stands upright inside. This one:
http://store.lowepro.com/apex-110-aw

I've been considering Apex 100AW and 110AW for my new RX1R too, but there are no stores locally carrying them, so I have to judge based on the specs, which is super not helpful because Lowepro's site doesn't even specify which measurement is for width, depth or height.

Is one better than the other? 110AW seems a bit too tall but 100AW seems not deep enough (with EVF), anyone has compared these two bags?

Aug 23, 2013 at 08:57 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.166 #7 · p.166 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

You can get a good idea from the dimensions of each bag, I have heard of people using the 100 but it is a close fit - I got the info from dpr's rx forum. I often put other bits in the bag for travel, so another reason for me to like it, things like cable release, lens cloths, and I do use a traditional neck strap so a little extra room never bothers me.

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:10 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.166 #8 · p.166 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

As I mentioned a few pages back, I've been using a LowePro Apex 60 AW as my super-minimal bag for the RX1+OVF attached. However, while it works well with the sturdy Voigtlander OVF attached, I can't speak to how it would behave with the Sony EVF attached.

BTW, there was a little microfiber divider in the Apex 60 AW that I cut out of the bag, in order to make a larger, single compartment inside the bag.

1) Pic of bag contents:

2) I put the ND filter into the sunglasses microfiber bag, then I put that combo into the little velvet bag, along with a spare SD and battery on each side of the ND filter (the microfiber bag protects the ND from the battery and SD):

3) I put my cleaning cloth in the little cargo net, and I place the velvet bag into the bottom corner of the Apex:

4) The RX1 (+OVF and wrist strap) then slides in with the lens facing forward, and my little velvet bag positions itself kind of next to the OVF and above the flash area of the camera. It is a very snug fit, but it works, even with the OVF attached, as well as a B+W UV filter + 49mm-->37mm step down ring being used as a hood:

5) Shot of Apex 60 AW from front with contents inside:

6) View from above:

7) With all-weather cover extended, albeit pretty tightly. This little cover unfolds from the back of the bag where it stows away:

All in all, I can't really imagine a smaller bag for the RX1, and it's great to have the all weather cover handy. Plus, I've got Billinghams, Artist & Artisan, etc., bags laying around, and while they're beautiful, you can't argue with the LowePro Apex 60 AW for only twenty-something bucks, if you want super small.

p.s. my Apex 60 AW is a few years old, so it may be a little more pliable than a brand new one, but who knows?

Edited on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:39 PM
fredmirandafan

p.166 #9 · p.166 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

@douglasf13, wow this is a super-compact size bag, exactly what I'm looking for! I just wish my local stores or Sony Canada would have the EVF in stock so I can actually test by bringing my camera+EVF combo and testing out the fit in stores. But for $20+ even if it doesn't fit the EVF, it's a great value!

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.166 #10 · p.166 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

fredmirandafan wrote:
@douglasf13, wow this is a super-compact size bag, exactly what I'm looking for! I just wish my local stores or Sony Canada would have the EVF in stock so I can actually test by bringing my camera+EVF combo and testing out the fit in stores. But for $20+ even if it doesn't fit the EVF, it's a great value!

I'm pretty sure it would fit with the EVF and no eye cup, or maybe the smaller eye cup, although I'm not sure if it would put too much pressure on the EVF. It is really a snug fit.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

millsart
• • • •
p.166 #11 · p.166 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The EVF, and to a lesser degree the OVF certainly does make life frustrating when it comes to finding bags. I have so many small ones that fit the RX1 either lens down or sitting normally but with the EVF sticking out the back suddenly its a no go.

Down to $2025 for mine now as well. They seem to be selling for $2200+ on Ebay any day of the week but that 10% final value fee on top of Paypal fee's...ouch!.

Amazon's warehouse deals now list them at $2400 for good and is now over $2500 for "like new" so certainly some crazy market swings on these things to say the least!

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:17 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.166 #12 · p.166 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

millsart wrote:
The EVF, and to a lesser degree the OVF certainly does make life frustrating when it comes to finding bags. I have so many small ones that fit the RX1 either lens down or sitting normally but with the EVF sticking out the back suddenly its a no go.

Down to $2025 for mine now as well. They seem to be selling for $2200+ on Ebay any day of the week but that 10% final value fee on top of Paypal fee's...ouch!.

Amazon's warehouse deals now list them at $2400 for good and is now over $2500 for "like new" so certainly
...Show more

Wow when I got mine like new it was a little over $2,150. Bought it on the last day before sales tax was charged in my state.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.166 #13 · p.166 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Interstate sales tax certainly could end up driving quite a bit of traffic back to the private classifieds if it goes through nationwide.

I'd be curious to see any reports on a per state basis as to how much sales may have deceased from retailers like Amazon once they started charging tax.

On the positive side, is good for the local shops as now they just have to compete on price. If your spending a few thousand dollars on camera gear, the tax alone is a big chunk of change that people didn't have to pay at Amazon et al, so when it came down to even equal pricing, the online shops were still hundreds cheaper for the end consumer, and its not coming out of their margin so it was impossible for the local dealer to compete.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.166 #14 · p.166 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Cross post from the RX1 Image thread, having a bit of an issue with my camera at the moment.

Unfortunately though I'm having issues with the rear LCD. Darn thing shut off when I went to us the camera after it'd been sitting around for a couple of days and hasn't turned back on since. I've been pretty much relying on the EVF which is fine for shooting but a pain for reviewing the images. Has anyone else run into this issues with their RX1?

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.166 #15 · p.166 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
Cross post from the RX1 Image thread, having a bit of an issue with my camera at the moment.

Unfortunately though I'm having issues with the rear LCD. Darn thing shut off when I went to us the camera after it'd been sitting around for a couple of days and hasn't turned back on since. I've been pretty much relying on the EVF which is fine for shooting but a pain for reviewing the images. Has anyone else run into this issues with their RX1?

Do you have one of your custom buttons set to turn the LCD off, by chance?

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.166 #16 · p.166 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Maybe some gunk on the evf/lcd sensor making it think your eye is always up to it ?

There is a menu option to select just the LCD or just the EVF as well you can check, and also make sure you don't have a custom function set up to where it turns the LCD off

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.166 #17 · p.166 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

'the EVF which is fine for shooting but a pain for reviewing the images.'

That is an opinion rather than a fact, and in fact it is the exact opposite to my experience, as I love being able to see a large image in EVF review rather than the (painful and dysfunctional) tiny screen as viewed from 12 inches away, which often needs image magnification to see details. It's analogous to viewing a transparency on a light box compared with viewing the same transparency through a loupe.

Details such as checking for exact focus or subject movement. Not to mention extraneous light or reflections on the screen or removing the camera from the eye level shooting position, which slow shooting action and increase prep time for the next shot, if you are an EVF shooter that is.

The image review is also much closer to the final file in resolution than in shooting mode, can be dismissed with a simple gentle press of the shutter release, set for timing duration or turned off entirely.

It's much quicker and much more efficient, and I would expect a controlled experiment to show that. But we all have different usage preferences, and some like the old ways I know, but that is the case for EVF review ;-) Sonys are EVF cameras, at the high end anyway.

Aug 24, 2013 at 02:15 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.166 #18 · p.166 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj wrote:
'the EVF which is fine for shooting but a pain for reviewing the images.'

That is an opinion rather than a fact, and in fact it is the exact opposite to my experience, as I love being able to see a large image in EVF review rather than the (painful and dysfunctional) tiny screen as viewed from 12 inches away, which often needs image magnification to see details. It's analogous to viewing a transparency on a light box compared with viewing the same transparency through a loupe.

Details such as checking for exact focus or subject movement. Not to mention extraneous light
...Show more

Did you bother to read the full message before jumping on the guy for "opinion rather than fact" ?

He was talking specifically about a PROBLEM he is having with his camera right now with the LCD screen NOT WORKING.

He is not making blanket statement about EVF vs LCD usage in general but looking for help for a specific problem.

His full statement in context was as follows....

"Unfortunately though I'm having issues with the rear LCD. Darn thing shut off when I went to us the camera after it'd been sitting around for a couple of days and hasn't turned back on since. I've been pretty much relying on the EVF which is fine for shooting but a pain for reviewing the images. Has anyone else run into this issues with their RX1?"

Aug 24, 2013 at 03:30 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.166 #19 · p.166 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

A difference of opinion is 'not jumping on a guy', millsart. I read it differently so offered the alternative approach and rationale. I don't jump on people, simply present my views. Would you be 'jumping on me' now, I don't know. It's OK either way.

Over at DxO, a comparison review of the RX1r and RX1 showing the RX1 getting a better score than the AA less version - they sound almost perplexed by this, with some head-scratching over the DR data:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX1-Review-pushing-the-limits/Sony-RX1R-vs-Sony-RX1

It is interesting because the only real difference is only at peak DR, at ISO 100. Time will tell.

Aug 24, 2013 at 04:01 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.166 #20 · p.166 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Brody LeBlanc wrote:

The LCD is a pain for everything but playing with the menus. Trust me. It surely has nothing to do with your problem but opinions are made for venting and heated feelings. .

Maybe a stupid question: What happens when you take the EVF off (and make sure the tiny little contacts in the hotshoe aren't crosswired by anything)?

Aug 24, 2013 at 07:04 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password