Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              164      
       166              190       191       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.165 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I wouldn't have bought the larger Sony hood myself, but it arrived with one so I'm giving it a try. I have ordered a cheap step down ring but in honesty, I'll probably just stick with this for a while as it seems fine to me. I understand the idea of keeping things as small as possible though.

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.165 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The step down ring certainly came up by someone wanting to keep things small. To me that isn't as important - heck, I have both the EVF and an RRS grip mounted all the time. To me it is more about function and the outfit I described causes no problem what so ever. Switching to the step down/polarizer combo doesn't take long at the same time as it is easy to work with (no problem turning the polar filter there...).
Thinking about it it is about size as well. The darn EVF increases the height of the camera and I like to use satchel bags. Now I have the camera standing on the left side (meaning it stands on the L part of the RRS grip) in the bag, in a well padded compartment. The grip makes it easy to grab the camera quickly and safely. A bigger hood wouldn't fit with this bag solution.
Oh well, there are houndreds of solutions out there. I like safe fast and no fiddly solutions.

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:41 PM
fredmirandafan

p.165 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
I understand preferences are different but I can't help to think the hood solution is sub-optimal.
Douglas recently mentioned the 49 -> 37mm step down ring and it has been discussed earlier in this thread as well. I use two empty 49mm filter rings together with the step down ring as a hood. It's works very well and the protection/bulk ratio is excellent (and so is the prize). I have a second step down ring mounted to a polarizer in my bag.
By now I'm used to this solution and see no reason to try any other hood, especially not a
...Show more
I may have misread the posts on the step-down ring, I was under the impression that you would have to take it off when taking photos? I thought for sure the 37mm ring size would just vignette unless you "screw off" the step down ring which is a hassle?

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.165 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

No, it safely stay on all the time, as mentioned with one or even two empty filter rings between the step down ring and the lens.
Having to take it off would certainly be a very bad situation, like some old style screw off lens cap but with a 37mm hole in it...

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:44 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.165 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Look at the diameter of the front element. Tiny.

Q: are you guys using a protective filter of sorts? I specifically avoid with all my SLR lenses... But a part of me wonders if I should put something on, given that the lens is fixed...

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:49 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.165 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
No, it safely stay on all the time, as mentioned with one or even two empty filter rings between the step down ring and the lens.
Having to take it off would certainly be a very bad situation, like some old style screw off lens cap but with a 37mm hole in it...

yup, my step down ring is on all the time whether i'm shooting the camera, have it in my pocket, or in my bag. i'm not bothering to use a lens cap at all either.

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.165 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

A: No, I don't. As I have the camera either in my hand or in the bag I don't care for a protective filter (I also don't use any cap).

However, I know some using a clear glass filter claiming the lens is so good a hood really isn't needed at all, and that a clear glass or UV filter makes no harm either. I don't believe in such claims. I haven't done any controlled test with the RX1 but from earlier experience I'm sure some harm is done in some situations. I rather live on the edge...

Aug 22, 2013 at 09:01 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.165 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

since i'm not using a lens cap and i'm mostly sticking the camera in my pocket i do use a filter (not sure how soft my pockets are). it definitely adds a little flare if i point the camera at point light sources. i'm sure it has other effects to. if i have a shot where every ounce of iq counts i take it off.

Aug 22, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.165 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

sebboh wrote:
i'm mostly sticking the camera in my pocket

Whenever I see someone saying this I wonder what kind of huge pockets you guys have?

Aug 22, 2013 at 09:46 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.165 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Like those guys who frequent seedy back streets in Bogart style trench coats, lol.

Filters lose you nothing, not even like looking at an RX1r vs an RX1, and yes, many years of fixed lens cameras tends to teach you these things. And the step down ring hood is a great innovation, 'shashin' from getdpi deserves credit. An expected bonus is that any dust that enters falls to the bottom of the 'hood', just a random rocket blow and you are on your way.

The std squeezy lens cap is an exercise in minimalism aimed at overwhelming common sense. You can get a 51mm push on one, I have a ebay Schneider one which I hope informs the lens it better work well. It seems to have worked. And keeps dust off the filter when I remember to use the cap.

My bag was bought for the ability to use the camera imediately with EVF on, and it has never been off, camera stands upright inside. This one:

http://store.lowepro.com/apex-110-aw

The main flap I hacked out to make more room, and the two small pockets are perfect for spare batteries. Pola fits in low side pocket. Rain jacket too, sells for a mere pittance. And does not deform in a brush against a wall or hard object. Waist belt or carry strap. People think I borrowed it from a 15 year old girl. Nah, made that last one up.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • •
p.165 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochenb wrote:
Whenever I see someone saying this I wonder what kind of huge pockets you guys have?

well they're coat pockets. in my case most of my jackets are similar in size and fit to this:
http://www.patagonia.com/tsimages/83390_961_OM8.fpx?wid=500&hei=500&ftr=8&cvt=jpeg

the camera produces a noticeable bulge when the coat is zipped but not when unzipped. putting a phone or wallet in the other pocket balances the weight nicely enough. it's always light coat weather where i live too.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:26 PM
ebookman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.165 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
Hmm..my Fotodiox hood is very solid. Maybe you just got a dud? Are you sure you twisted it all the way in place so that it clicks in?

I just took one hook and loop pair of finger length adhesive velcro strips and joined them back to back (adhesive to adhesive) and then cut the joined strip in half lengthwise and wrapped it around the EVF. One strip was too short so I overlapped it with the other half strip and trimmed off the excess.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.165 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
A: No, I don't. As I have the camera either in my hand or in the bag I don't care for a protective filter (I also don't use any cap).

However, I know some using a clear glass filter claiming the lens is so good a hood really isn't needed at all, and that a clear glass or UV filter makes no harm either. I don't believe in such claims. I haven't done any controlled test with the RX1 but from earlier experience I'm sure some harm is done in some situations. I rather live on the edge...

This is how I use/used my hi-matic. Hood, and just kept the cap in my pocket. I never used a bag though, just kept it around my neck as it's so light. This is how I intend to use the RX1, BUT I'll probably substitute in a 58mm cap (on the end of the hood) so it's easier to take on/off. As wondering around with it in the open, the front element of my hi-matic did get pretty dirty. Of course I'd just clean it occasionally and it wouldn't bother me... slightly different not. But at the same time, now that I have half case, screen protector, and have felt the build, I'm not concerns about it taking a knock/getting damaged. (It's insured too of course!)

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:16 AM
andrenth

p.165 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste wrote:
This is how I intend to use the RX1, BUT I'll probably substitute in a 58mm cap (on the end of the hood) so it's easier to take on/off

Ricardo, does a 58mm cap fit perfectly on the Sony hood? I have the JJC hood, which I believe has the same dimensions of the Sony one, and I've been looking for cap options for it so that I can store the camera without the lens cap.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.165 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

andrenth wrote:
Ricardo, does a 58mm cap fit perfectly on the Sony hood? I have the JJC hood, which I believe has the same dimensions of the Sony one, and I've been looking for cap options for it so that I can store the camera without the lens cap.

I have an inexpensive, plastic, generic 58mm cap off a different hood (which by coinsidence is almost identical to the Sony one, but screw in, used on a different camera) and it fits on the end fine. I measured it with a caliper (befor realising I had a 58mm cap to test) and it indeed seems like they probably made it like that just to give you the option.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.165 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Problem with the official hood is that you're still gonna get stuff coming through those vents if you use a cap on the end. I'd honestly just spend a few bucks on the step down ring and sell that official hood.

Aug 23, 2013 at 01:02 PM
jaywpage

p.165 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I have been using the Op/Tech Hood Hat on my RX1. It's made of neoprene and provides some measure of protection for the whole lens against bumps as well as being an effective lens cover. The mini size (2.5" - 3") fits snugly over both the the third party bayonet-style and the eBay screw-on type of lens hoods for the RX1 that I have. It's also easy to put on and take off.

See: http://optechusa.com/hood-hat.html

Aug 23, 2013 at 02:20 PM
andrenth

p.165 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The hood hat looks like a great option, wish Op/Tech did international delivery

Aug 23, 2013 at 02:41 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.165 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I'm not sure how much "filth" will get through Sony hood vents (or similar design) if you have the end cap on. I also have a step down ring, and a small 49mm Pentax hood. I kind of like the Pentax more, it looks the best, but I feel like the larger Sony one protects things a little more (from bumps and what not). I'd be happy to swap and try other things down the road though, I'll see how it goes.

Still not sourced a viewfinder

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.165 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

andrenth wrote:
The hood hat looks like a great option, wish Op/Tech did international delivery

Now I'm in the step down ring camp but I have a couple of hood hats in a drawer. As I recall it B&H sold them and I'm pretty sure they ship such hats to Brazil.

Aug 23, 2013 at 03:27 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password