Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              163      
       165              192       193       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

rji2goleez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.164 #1 · p.164 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

millsart wrote:
Could be, or maybe there was a good enough number of people wanting to upgrade to the RX1r that "flooded" the market (only takes a couple I guess since its not a huge demand item lol)

I figured that would net me about $2k for it after shipping/insurance/paypal fee's but I guess I might need to go a little lower.

Darn "r" model couldn't have waited just a few more weeks......

I think it may just take a while for a camera with a smaller niche than most. It's higher priced than other (Fuji) and although it beats the pants off anything else in this category, it's still a niche camera. Not everyone likes the 35mm focal length, although I don't know why. Good luck and I hope it goes quickly for you. I'm keeping mine yet.

Aug 18, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.164 #2 · p.164 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste wrote:
The above image is just a snap outside with the RX1. It's sooc, from the lens (not shot through the VF). I made a note of the elements that were in the corners / on the frame lines, and then in PS I made a simple overlay to demonstrate where the frame line appear compared to the full image out of the viewfinder.

Does that make sense? I fear we may have gone slightly cryptic!

Perfect sense (and what I originally thought you were posting). So, the PS frame lines you created in the actual RX1 image do represent what the frame lines of the optical finder show when mounted on the RX1? IF that's the case, I do believe there must be an issue with that specific finder as those frame lines are closer to something like the frame of view of a 50mm lens/ finder. Any decent 35mm finder would be dramatically more accurate.

Aug 18, 2013 at 03:31 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.164 #3 · p.164 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Basic accessories seem to be taking friggin' ages to arrive (eg card, charger, screen protector) - annoying!

Does anyone know if this is brightline / framelined ? I assume it's just a "big hole" and the edge of the frame is... the edge of the frame. Just wanted to check as the Voigtlander seems impossible to find used.

http://kevincameras.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=686366&g2_serialNumber=1

Zeiss 432/5 - any experiences / comments? Bright lines / frame ?

Edited on Aug 19, 2013 at 07:38 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2013 at 03:43 PM
serhan_
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.164 #4 · p.164 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I don't know if anybody used online "igorcamera" store. I found it when I was searching for 35mm viewfinders. They have bunch of used 35mm viewfinders including Voigtlander:

http://www.igorcamera.com/leica_copies.htm

Aug 19, 2013 at 04:58 PM
fredmirandafan

p.164 #5 · p.164 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Hi guys, I just received my Fotodiox kit too. Very much liking the grip but what is the consensus on the loose/jiggly hood? Should I bother exchanging with Fotodiox or this is by design? Has anyone gotten a good unit?

Aug 20, 2013 at 05:16 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.164 #6 · p.164 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Has anyone tried triggering off-camera flashes with the RX1? If so did you just use a flash with an optical slave or a wireless trigger?

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:04 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.164 #7 · p.164 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Daft question, but is the hot shoe on the RX1 different to that of the A99?

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:09 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.164 #8 · p.164 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

fredmirandafan wrote:
Hi guys, I just received my Fotodiox kit too. Very much liking the grip but what is the consensus on the loose/jiggly hood? Should I bother exchanging with Fotodiox or this is by design? Has anyone gotten a good unit?

Mine has a very very slight play in it but it is solid and secure. I think the kit is the best investment I have made. I like it a lot more than the Gariz half case I was using. I have more trouble with the EVF sliding than the lens hood motion. I used the velcro collor idea I found on another forum to keep the EVF from leaving the camera.

I also purchased the OP/TECH lightweight shoulder strap which is perfect with this camera. It weights almost nothing. It takes takes the weight off your neck and onto your shoulder. It attaches to the left hand side of the camera so your right hand does not interfere with the strap. It is comfortable and secure leaving the camera at your right side easy to grab and shoot. And best of all it is $7.90. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MFQ2I8/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_dp_1

Here is photo from my iPhone.

Aug 20, 2013 at 08:51 PM
fredmirandafan

p.164 #9 · p.164 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

@ebookman, Thanks for sharing your experience, like you, I think the grip is fanstastic but the "jiggle/play" on my Fotodiox hood is so annoying to the point that I'm thinking of sending it back to Fotodiox for an exchange.

btw, your velcro seems better than the "rubber-band" idea that I've read. Was it easy to find? I think some outdoor stores might custom cut them, but they are more for mountain climbing.

sigh, Sony should have really made a self-locking mechanism on this $450 piece! I really hope they will answer with an M2 of this EVF.

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:14 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.164 #10 · p.164 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

stuuke wrote:
Has anyone tried triggering off-camera flashes with the RX1? If so did you just use a flash with an optical slave or a wireless trigger?

Worked great with just the optical trigger and very fast sync speeds were possible with the leaf shutter

Aug 20, 2013 at 09:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.164 #11 · p.164 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

fredmirandafan wrote:
@ebookman, Thanks for sharing your experience, like you, I think the grip is fanstastic but the "jiggle/play" on my Fotodiox hood is so annoying to the point that I'm thinking of sending it back to Fotodiox for an exchange.

btw, your velcro seems better than the "rubber-band" idea that I've read. Was it easy to find? I think some outdoor stores might custom cut them, but they are more for mountain climbing.

sigh, Sony should have really made a self-locking mechanism on this $450 piece! I really hope they will answer with an M2 of this EVF.

Hmm..my Fotodiox hood is very solid. Maybe you just got a dud? Are you sure you twisted it all the way in place so that it clicks in?

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
fredmirandafan

p.164 #12 · p.164 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
Hmm..my Fotodiox hood is very solid. Maybe you just got a dud? Are you sure you twisted it all the way in place so that it clicks in?

Yea I must've received a dud, it's in all the way but it still wiggles. Will be asking fotodiox for a replacement

On the bright side, the grip is just fantastic!

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:41 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.164 #13 · p.164 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I came across Richard Geltman's impression of the RX1 on Steve Huff here: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/01/11/the-sony-rx1-in-india-by-richard-geltman/
Richard Geltman via Steve Huff:
"I tried two 35 mm finders including the Voightlander but found them too tight. For whatever reason, the 28 mm Voightlander seemed to be about right."

"When I tried two different 35 mm finders they seemed to “tight” to me in that I would frequently cut of part of the shot– particularly the bottom. After I started using the 28 the problem was solved.

I’ve used OVFs on several cameras from the Sigma DP1/2Ms the the M9. No question that it’s a combination of issues including psychovisual factors that are hard to verbalize and quantify. For fast street shooting
...Show more

That makes me wonder whether I'm even looking for the right viewfinder!

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.164 #14 · p.164 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste wrote:
I came across Richard Geltman's impression of the RX1 on Steve Huff here: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/01/11/the-sony-rx1-in-india-by-richard-geltman/

That makes me wonder whether I'm even looking for the right viewfinder!

With a direct view optical finder on the RX1, the choice between 28mm and 35mm finders really comes down to whether you normally shoot at closer distances or longer/ infinity distances AND whether you will always plan on correcting for optical distortion. I have a Leica 28mm finder which I occasionally use on the RX1 and at longer distances - say 40 feet or more - the frame lines are surprisingly accurate without any lens distortion correction. But, at close distances, it's noticeably too wide (which is a more dangerous situation imo than having a finder that will show less than you actually end up with). So really, if you are going to go with an optical finder, choose based on what distances you more often shoot at perhaps (and whether or not you will always be correcting for distortion).

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.164 #15 · p.164 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thanks Tariq. I guess it's another case of "try it and see".

I GUESS you could say, for the type of images I'd make with an OVF, I'm mostly in the 2-3 meters to 7-10 meters range. Which I think you're saying a 35mm finder would be more appropriate for.

I do agree, I'd rather have a little extra outside the frame and actually CUT something out which I thought was in. But obviously not as tight as that cheap VF I tried ;-)

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.164 #16 · p.164 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yes, at those closer distances, I would go for the 35mm finder.

Aug 21, 2013 at 01:44 PM
serhan_
• •
p.164 #17 · p.164 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I found 35mm finder is good at close distances in my office shots.

I didn't buy the hood but there is a fix for the loose ones in dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3510946#forum-post-51735820

Also sb is selling the 4 RX1's for $2200 at the auction site, saying that he bought them last week from Amazon, probably during the sale time. With close to $500/ea profit if you sell 3, then 4th is free for himself. That is why it didn't last long. Another buyer was at dpreview saying he is keeping it instead of sale after seeing the IQ.

Aug 22, 2013 at 06:03 PM
fredmirandafan

p.164 #18 · p.164 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

serhan_ wrote:
I didn't buy the hood but there is a fix for the loose ones in dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3510946#forum-post-51735820

Thanks for the fix! But now the masking tape leaves a gluey substance all over the edge of the hood! I guess the motion of mounting just spreads the adhesive around at least it's better than a loose hood.

Edited on Aug 22, 2013 at 08:38 PM · View previous versions

Aug 22, 2013 at 07:58 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.164 #19 · p.164 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

My Sony branded hood had a obvious wobble on it, which I found rather annoying. A long strip of black electric tape across the groove, wrapped over both edges sorted it. No messy adhesive. But at the same time, I'm pretty much gonna leave the hood there... If I took it on / off all day I'm sure it would wear down the tape eventually.

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.164 #20 · p.164 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I understand preferences are different but I can't help to think the hood solution is sub-optimal.
Douglas recently mentioned the 49 -> 37mm step down ring and it has been discussed earlier in this thread as well. I use two empty 49mm filter rings together with the step down ring as a hood. It's works very well and the protection/bulk ratio is excellent (and so is the prize). I have a second step down ring mounted to a polarizer in my bag.
By now I'm used to this solution and see no reason to try any other hood, especially not a traditional bulky one.

Aug 22, 2013 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password