Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              149      
       151              192       193       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.150 #1 · p.150 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

For those interested, it seems my Voigtlander 35mm OVF is calibrated to about .5m with my RX1 (with distortion correction turned on,) so there's a bit more "air" around the photo than with my M9. I wonder how the Zeiss 35mm or Voigtlander 28mm OVF compares?

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:23 AM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.150 #2 · p.150 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I have the CV28 metal finder and its too wide to be effective on the RX1, the actual image gets cropped out quite a lot at closer distances.

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.150 #3 · p.150 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
For those interested, it seems my Voigtlander 35mm OVF is calibrated to about .5m with my RX1 (with distortion correction turned on,) so there's a bit more "air" around the photo than with my M9. I wonder how the Zeiss 35mm or Voigtlander 28mm OVF compares?

I tried my Leica 28 finder and it's way too wide for the RX1 35, even with distortion turned off. I came very close early on to buying the Zeiss 35 finder but I just could not bring myself to pay that kind of money for it.

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:46 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.150 #4 · p.150 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Anyone here tried a Leica X1/X2 36mm finder?

Jul 04, 2013 at 04:12 AM
artur5
• •
p.150 #5 · p.150 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

With all my respect for you guys, I think that using an external optical viewfinder in a digital camera with liveview is pure surrealism. Groucho Marx would have loved it...

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:28 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.150 #6 · p.150 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

artur5 wrote:
With all my respect for you guys, I think that using an external optical viewfinder in a digital camera with liveview is pure surrealism. Groucho Marx would have loved it...

I would have thought the same, until I tried it. It's bright and uncluttered, and it works better than I imagined. Granted, 35mm is probably about the longest focal length that would work reliably, especially with AF. It really isn't all that much crazier than using the rangefinder on the M240, which I would also do, and the LCD is always available, if need be.

I used to use a 50mm OVF with my Nex for zone focusing with a 50mm equiv. lens, and being able to also AF pretty reliably with the RX1 is a nice bonus.

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.150 #7 · p.150 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I tried my Leica 28 finder and it's way too wide for the RX1 35, even with distortion turned off. I came very close early on to buying the Zeiss 35 finder but I just could not bring myself to pay that kind of money for it.

The price of the Zeiss 35mm viewfinder is just ridiculous. It's more expensive than many lenses.

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:55 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.150 #8 · p.150 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Apparently, the whole line of Zeiss OVFs are notoceably bigger and brighter than those from Leica and Voigtlander, but I've never used one before.

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:24 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.150 #9 · p.150 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

millsart wrote:
I've been using slider straps my on DSLR's with no issues, and I wouldn't think on something as small/light as the RX1 it could really break/strip out, and given there is a rubber washer probably not loosen either, but I do connect a small cable to the left strap lug of my DSLR's as a backup.

Probably wouldn't hurt to run a little strap from the RX's left lug to the slider part of the strap, just as insurance. Maybe just a little necklace type clasp and about 4" of cable.

As for the fill flash, you can dial the flash EC
...Show more

Thanks for the info. As for flash exposure, I will have to check it out. When on auto iso and fill flash, the camera seems to want to default to a lower iso value when flash was selected. So instead of acting as a fill, the flash acts like a main light and ambient light cut off.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:12 AM
TMaG82
• • •
p.150 #10 · p.150 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

So far I'm loving the RX1. Just got my 3 stop ND filter in and it makes a huge difference in shooting during the day. Just that the lens cap got stuck on the filter.

Also got the Fotodiox grip which I'm going to return. It does help with the grip, but sadly the QC is lacking. I put the grip on and it's slated. Also holding it by the grip has a tendency to squeeze my fingers against the lens and I don even have big fingers.

Using it with my convertible Crumpler strap makes it very easy to hold and feels safe in my hands.

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Muizen

p.150 #11 · p.150 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

TMaG82 wrote:
So far I'm loving the RX1. Just got my 3 stop ND filter in and it makes a huge difference in shooting during the day.

Also got the Fotodiox grip which I'm going to return. It does help with the grip, but sadly the QC is lacking. .

What is the make of your 3 stop ND filter?
Can it be screwed in the hood?
What does QC stand for?
Thank you for your response!
Harry

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:40 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.150 #12 · p.150 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Muizen wrote:
What is the make of your 3 stop ND filter?
Can it be screwed in the hood?
What does QC stand for?
Thank you for your response!
Harry

Correction, it's a 2 stop filter from b+w.

Quality control. It's not centered. Ill try my RRS one that's coming in otherwise ill use it without a grip and rely on my strap.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:03 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.150 #13 · p.150 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

TMaG82 wrote:
So far I'm loving the RX1. Just got my 3 stop ND filter in and it makes a huge difference in shooting during the day. Just that the lens cap got stuck on the filter.

Also got the Fotodiox grip which I'm going to return. It does help with the grip, but sadly the QC is lacking. I put the grip on and it's slated. Also holding it by the grip has a tendency to squeeze my fingers against the lens and I don even have big fingers.

Using it with my convertible Crumpler strap makes it very easy to hold and
...Show more

Are you sure that the grip is actually slanted? I noticed that Fotodiox designed the edge of the grip near the lens with an angle, rather than being straight up and down, so mine gives the illusion of a slant.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:04 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.150 #14 · p.150 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I just got a fotodiox grip and it fits perfectly . . . no slant. I will point out that the design makes it hard to get the sd card out of it's slot. Otherwise, I like the grip and since I don't use the camera on a tripod very often, I don't miss the L-bracket.

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:10 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.150 #15 · p.150 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Here's a view through my Sony Zeiss 35mm viewfinder which arrived today. Pardon the mess on my desk.

http://josephow.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v100/p1618404694-4.jpg

Frame-lines seems most accurate at between 0.7 to 1m. At 1.5 to 2m distances, the actual image is already outside of the frame lines. According to the manual, it has a magnification of 0.58x, 6 group 6 elements with field rate of 85%. Not sure what the field rate means?

Pros
1. Its creates a nice and bright view for those who prefer an optical finder
2. I do not have a CV35 finder so can't compare directly. I do have a CV28 metal finder and when comparing both, the Zeiss finder is significantly brighter, with less distortion and also sharper.
3. Its lighter than the CV finder at 1.2oz compared to CV's 1.8oz and you can feel the difference in your hands.

Cons
1. Price
2. Price
3. Price
4. Since the OVF is not the same size as the EVF, the padding on both cases are not compatible, ie, you would not be able to fit either into the others' case.
5. If I thought the EVF felt loose on the hotshoe, the Zeiss viewfinder feel even less secure.

I think for most users, this OVF is an overkill price-wise and a CV35 metal finder should probably suffice. Not sure if I will keep it or just return it because of its price. The way I see it, I will still carry both EVF and OVF and use either depending on shooting situations, otherwise leave the finder on the camera and for accurate framing, use the LCD instead.

The instruction manual is interesting. Part of it says
1. Do not touch the lens
2. Careless handling can lead to injury
3. When using it outside, be careful not to get it wet with rain or seawater
4. Do not subject to direct sunlight leave in enclosed car or use near heaters

Jul 06, 2013 at 06:44 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.150 #16 · p.150 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thanks for the viewfinder review, Joe. Interestingly, it almost looks like the Zeiss has more distortion than my Voigtlander 35, which is essentially flat, although it could just be the picture. Either way, I'm sure the Zeiss is brighter and larger.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:23 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.150 #17 · p.150 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Douglas, I think it is the picture. I took the above with a quick shot with my Ricoh GR and the perspective/distortion looks magnified much more. The Zeiss VF does have verly slight barrel distortion but definitely less than my CV28 finder. I'm thinking of returning it and exchange for a CV35 finder instead.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:46 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.150 #18 · p.150 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

On a side note, I was able to score a pretty good dal on the Sony brand 32gb 94mbs SD cards from B&H. Normally they're $40 and change on Amazon but picked it up for $24.95. So I bought 2, that should last me enough even if I continue to shoot RAW+Jpeg.

Jul 06, 2013 at 08:03 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.150 #19 · p.150 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

joe88 wrote:
Douglas, I think it is the picture. I took the above with a quick shot with my Ricoh GR and the perspective/distortion looks magnified much more. The Zeiss VF does have verly slight barrel distortion but definitely less than my CV28 finder. I'm thinking of returning it and exchange for a CV35 finder instead.

I would imagine that the CV28 has more distortion and is a little darker than the CV35, since it is wider, but I'm not sure. I've never compared them.

Jul 06, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.150 #20 · p.150 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I'm thinking about buying an external 35 finder and have been going back and forth between the current Voigtlander 35 Metal finder and the older Voigtlander 35 Plastic finder. The plastic finder looks larger and I see it has a magnification spec of .68, which seems higher than the expensive Zeiss finder. Does anyone know what the magnification spec is for the Metal Voigtlander finder and/ or has anyone used or looked through both? Just curious which has the larger view. I see where the Metal one is claimed to be a High Eyepoint finder so I'm thinking it might actually have a lower magnification.

Jul 08, 2013 at 05:23 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password