Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              147      
148
       149              192       193       end
  

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
  
 
Jonas B
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #1 · p.148 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


naturephoto1 wrote:
Having used RRS brackets (but not this one and not having the Sony RX1) and presently the equivalent to this for my Fujifilm X-E1 camera, and though much more expensive than the Fotodiox, I would recommend this without hesitation:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BRX1-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BRX1-Set%3a-Base-%2b-L-Plate-%2b-Grip&key=it

The bracket with the grip improves the handling of my Fujifilm X-E1 dramatically (though it is also great due to the ability to change lenses which is lacking on the Sony).

Rich


I have the RX1 and it is certainly pimped with the RRS grip - and I can't really imagine using the camera without some sort of grip since buying it. As I like to use a tripod I have RRS or John Milich grips for my cameras. The RRS grips is very good but a bit slippery in my opinion. I added some friction tape here and there (and I did the same to the camera's aperture ring, the "bottom" part of it.



Jul 01, 2013 at 07:51 PM
TMaG82
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #2 · p.148 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I want to get the RRS one eventually, but I'll wait until I can splurge for the whole package (ball head, Gitzo tripod, etc). For now even after getting the RX1 on Amazon for a great price, I'll have to wait until my old gear sells first.


Jul 01, 2013 at 07:53 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #3 · p.148 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I just ordered the fotodiox grip from Amazon . . . should have it tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon Prime!


Jul 01, 2013 at 07:53 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #4 · p.148 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


douglasf13 wrote:
I think the grip on the Fotodiox looks like it will work better for me than the RRS version, for the reasons millsart stated, and the whole thing looks a little less bulky. The tripod differences shouldn't bother me.


It would make a huge difference for me. There is no comparison between the full RRS grip and L bracket compared to the Fotodiox.

The Fotodiox is basically a grip with a bottom that has a 1/4-20 tripod thread. Yes it is less expensive, smaller, and more compact. Unless you add an Arca Swiss plate you must screw that Fotodiox to the tripod thread and you must orient the tripod head for either horizontal or vertical orientation. In the case of the RRS Grip and L bracket, you have the grip and an Arca Swiss type plate on the bottom and the left side of the camera. This is more expensive, and more substantial. The RRS Grip and L allows for mounting the camera to an Arca Swiss type clamp in either the horizontal or vertical orientation quickly and surely.

Rich



Jul 01, 2013 at 08:43 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #5 · p.148 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


naturephoto1 wrote:
It would make a huge difference for me. There is no comparison between the full RRS grip and L bracket compared to the Fotodiox.

The Fotodiox is basically a grip with a bottom that has a 1/4-20 tripod thread. Yes it is less expensive, smaller, and more compact. Unless you add an Arca Swiss plate you must screw that Fotodiox to the tripod thread and you must orient the tripod head for either horizontal or vertical orientation. In the case of the RRS Grip and L bracket, you have the grip and an Arca Swiss type plate on the bottom and
...Show more

Sure, but size and weight is one of the major appeals of the RX1. Fotodiox could have left off the tripod mount altogether, and I would still buy the grip. If I'm bringing a tripod along with this tiny camera, I could just toss an Arca Swiss plate in my bag, if I used that system. This camera is small and light enough that I personally wouldn't even bother with an Arca Swiss setup.





Jul 01, 2013 at 08:53 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #6 · p.148 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


douglasf13 wrote:
Sure, but size and weight is one of the major appeals of the RX1. Fotodiox could have left off the tripod mount altogether, and I would still buy the grip. If I'm bringing a tripod along with this tiny camera, I could just toss an Arca Swiss plate in my bag, if I used that system. This camera is small and light enough that I personally wouldn't even bother with an Arca Swiss setup.



Doug,

That is your choice. I even use L brackets on my Canon G9 and G10. As far as I am concerned makes mounting the cameras on the tripod in either orientation much faster and surer than screwing the camera to a tripod thread and having to then adjust the head in either orientation. I have never handled the Sony, but I would suspect it to be larger than the Canon G series cameras.


Rich


Edited on Jul 01, 2013 at 09:06 PM · View previous versions



Jul 01, 2013 at 09:00 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #7 · p.148 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


naturephoto1 wrote:
Doug,

That is your choice. I even use L brackets on my Canon G9 and G10. As far as I am concerned makes mounting the cameras on the tripod in either orientation much faster and surer that screwing the camera to a tripod thread and having to then adjust the head in either orientation. I have never handled the Sony, but I would suspect it to be larger than the Canon G series cameras.

Rich


Yeah, I rarely have the need to quickly go back and forth between tripod and non-tripod work, so speed isn't an issue for me, even with larger cameras. The Fotodiox RX1 grip makes more sense, for my uses.



Jul 01, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #8 · p.148 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Well, I guess we will all know in a day or two just how good this Fotodiox grip turns out to be.

For myself, I'm just looking for a light grip that feels good in the hand. Everything else is secondary.



Jul 02, 2013 at 12:07 AM
TMaG82
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #9 · p.148 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Looks like I'm going to be able to try both the Fotodiox and RRS, as I just won an auction for the RRS inadvertently. Didn't realize that it was a make an offer auction, made an offer for $125, next thing I know I bought it. Makes me wonder if I lowballed even more if I still would have won. Oh well, what's another $20 or so.


Jul 02, 2013 at 12:09 AM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #10 · p.148 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Well, I just received my Fotodiox grip. The design is pretty good, although I wish they left a hole for the speaker, and I was hoping the grip part had some kind of rubber on it, which it doesn't (couldn't tell from the pictures.) I think the grip part feels pretty good, but I'm getting the feeling that I prefer my little leather half-case more overall, and it is lighter. If my half-case had the little bump on the grip, like the new Gariz, it would probably be perfect, but I'm not sure I want to drop the cash on the Gariz, since it costs over 5x what my current half-case costs. I'll wait a day or two to be sure, but I think I'll probably return the Fotodiox.




Jul 02, 2013 at 09:55 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



millsart
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #11 · p.148 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Thanks for the report on it, too bad it wasn't a bit nicer as for the price it would of been a real home run for them.

Did you get the square hood too ?

I agree on that Gariz case, it looks amazing, but darn if that isn't an absurd amount to charge for a half case just because it has a little grip area built into it. That said, I still do want one lol



Jul 02, 2013 at 10:29 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #12 · p.148 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


millsart wrote:
Thanks for the report on it, too bad it wasn't a bit nicer as for the price it would of been a real home run for them.

Did you get the square hood too ?

I agree on that Gariz case, it looks amazing, but darn if that isn't an absurd amount to charge for a half case just because it has a little grip area built into it. That said, I still do want one lol


I had actually already purchased the square hood last month. I haven't used it much, but it seems like a good design. Tariq mentioned that his had some issues with the finish, but mine is ok.

I think others may like the Fotodiox design. I just don't really need much more of a grip than my half-case provides, so I don't want the extra bulk. If the RX1 grip bothered me more, I'd say the Fotodiox is a pretty good solution.



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:15 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #13 · p.148 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


douglasf13 wrote:
I had actually already purchased the square hood last month. I haven't used it much, but it seems like a good design. Tariq mentioned that his had some issues with the finish, but mine is ok.

I think others may like the Fotodiox design. I just don't really need much more of a grip than my half-case provides, so I don't want the extra bulk. If the RX1 grip bothered me more, I'd say the Fotodiox is a pretty good solution.


which half case do you use?




Jul 02, 2013 at 11:17 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #14 · p.148 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I bought one of these cheapies: link to ebay

The leather is kind of waxy feeling, and I'm sure the Gariz feels much better. Also, the Gariz cases tend to sit a little higher than other brands, which bugs me a bit, and I do like how my case covers the battery compartment with a flap and has a tripod socket in line with the lens. Overall, I'd certainly pick the Gariz with the grip bump over my cheapie, but being over $200 more than my case seems a bit outrageous to me at the moment. Granted, there is an older version of the Gariz case without the grip bump still available for less money.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7445/9169438152_93f0583c42.jpg



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:28 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #15 · p.148 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


douglasf13 wrote:
I bought one of these cheapies: link to ebay

The leather is kind of waxy feeling, and I'm sure the Gariz feels much better. Also, the Gariz cases tend to sit a little higher than other brands, which bugs me a bit, and I do like how my case covers the battery compartment with a flap. Overall, I'd certainly pick the Gariz with the grip bump over my cheapie, but being over $200 more than my case seems a bit outrageous to me at the moment. Granted, there is an older version of the Gariz case without the grip bump still
...Show more

thanks! i'm definitely not shelling out for the gariz, but given the price of the rx-1 i figured a little protection might be helpful if it doesn't reduce my ability to put the camera in my coat pocket. my nex-7 is starting to show some brassing in the spots where fabric rubs on the metal.



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:34 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #16 · p.148 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


The case is also available in brown. link to ebay

The case's leather probably feels only one notch above a fake leather case, but I'm pretty sure it is at least real leather. Here's the old model Gariz that is going for a more reasonable price: link to ebay



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:41 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #17 · p.148 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


douglasf13 wrote:
The case is also available in brown. link to ebay

The case's leather probably feels only one notch above a fake leather case, but I'm pretty sure it is at least real leather. Here's the old model Gariz that is going for a more reasonable price: link to ebay


definitely not a fan of the labeling on that gariz. maybe i should just get some leatherette and cover the edges/corners like i was babyproofing something...

probably best to wait till i have the camera and see whether i think extra grippiness would be beneficial.



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:50 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.148 #18 · p.148 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


sebboh wrote:
definitely not a fan of the labeling on that gariz. maybe i should just get some leatherette and cover the edges/corners like i was babyproofing something...

probably best to wait till i have the camera and see whether i think extra grippiness would be beneficial.


Yeah, I have some leatherette, and I thought about doing something similar, but I actually like this cheap case, for the most part. It does improve the grip, for me.



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:52 PM
TMaG82
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #19 · p.148 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I got my RX1 in today from Amazon and I don't know if its the whole placebo effect of everyone saying its good, but it feels like a keeper. As I said before I honestly didn't give it a fair shot the first time.. It's probably a lot easier to swallow now that I had a nice bonus from work to offset the cost and like Douglas I bought it from Amazon Warehouse for over $500 off. I'm not going to even bother checking how many actuations are on the thing, but I can say that Amazon's 'Like New' really is like new. I've had good experiences in the past with Amazon's warehouse deals, but never something this expensive.

I'm most likely going to return the Fotodiox grip even before I give it a try. Like I said before I inadvertently bought the RRS plate and grip for about $60 off retail and I'm most likely going to keep the hood that came with the Zeiss 24 and sell that lens sans hood. So theres no point in me spending $110 for a grip that I have a better alternative for and a hood that I have a better one already. The hood is just small enough that it reverses for storage, I like that its an OEM hood (though not for this camera), and isn't overly too large (heck I shot with the Zeiss + hood for the better part of 6 months). I don't think the RRS grip will bother me too much. I'm not too particular about keeping the camera ultra compact, I have the Think Tank Retrospective 5 just for the RX1. I wanted a smaller camera with fantastic IQ, so a little larger with a solid grip will put me too ease. I LOVE the grip on the NEX-6, me liking a nice grip is what led me to return the Fuji XE-1.

I'm most companies best case scenario customer, I'm a sucker for OEM accesories. Even thou I hear fantastic things about the Wasabit battery and charger, I spent the extra $ for the Sony charger and even more $ for an extra Sony battery. I won't get the EVF because I'm used to shooting with a rear LCD by now.

I have an overnight trip to the Poconos tomorrow which I can't wait to try out the new gear. It's going to take me a while to figure out how to configure this to my liking but I'm as excited as I've ever been about a camera. Plus I need to as I kind of promised my wife this is it for at least 2013 (went though 5 cameras in the past 9 months).



Jul 03, 2013 at 12:48 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.148 #20 · p.148 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I just received the Fotodiox grip for my RX1 and while I have yet to do significant shooting with it attached, I like the feel in my hands. I also like the low profile. The bottom plate is only about a 1/4 inch thick and the opening to the battery/card is perfect. With a camera this light, I don't think I'll need an 'L' plate if I need to shoot portrait from a tripod. Most of my shooting with this camera is handheld anyway.

Below is a picture taken with my iphone.







Jul 03, 2013 at 03:30 PM
1       2       3              147      
148
       149              192       193       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              147      
148
       149              192       193       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password