Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              131      
       133              192       193       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Sagar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.132 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

If you are really interested, you already have OPEN BOX on Amazon and other sites for $2300 which I believe carry full 1 year Sony warranty from the purchase date.

I personally think $2300 though open box is pretty good deal for this camera specially consdering Leica X2 goes for $2000. I actually bought one that way

Jonas B wrote:
This fall? Maybe, it's always hard to predict those things. I believe the price will drop by time but probably not much until somebody else makes a similar, and good performing, camera.

I'll take the images and post them here during the weekend. Meanwhile you can check out images of the RRS grip on the camera here. The viewfinder and the hood make the camera bigger once again of course.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.132 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Sagar wrote:
If you are really interested, you already have OPEN BOX on Amazon and other sites for $2300 which I believe carry full 1 year Sony warranty from the purchase date.

I personally think $2300 though open box is pretty good deal for this camera specially consdering Leica X2 goes for $2000. I actually bought one that way

I have been checking Amazon prices for a while. Unfortunately, all of the RX1's sold through Amazon Warehouse (which are mostly any cameras that were bought new and returned to Amazon - buyer did not want it or whatever) are classified as used and do not carry the manufacturers warranty. at all. A warranty is available, usually through Square Trade, at an additional cost. The "Like New" Amazon Warehouse used prices (which are the only ones I would be interested in) just dropped in price to about $2277 (same camera was 2400+ a few days ago! hmm.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.132 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

You may want to check with Sony directly. Back when I had bought Pentax K-7, I sent Pentax Amazon Order email and Pentax confirmed back that they will honor full one year warranty.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I have been checking Amazon prices for a while. Unfortunately, all of the RX1's sold through Amazon Warehouse (which are mostly any cameras that were bought new and returned to Amazon - buyer did not want it or whatever) are classified as used and do not carry the manufacturers warranty. at all. A warranty is available, usually through Square Trade, at an additional cost. The "Like New" Amazon Warehouse used prices (which are the only ones I would be interested in) just dropped in price to about $2277 (same camera was 2400+ a few days ago! hmm.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.132 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Well, when I saw the much reduced Amazon price for "Like New", I couldn't resist! I guess I have 30 days to make sure I'm happy with it in any case.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.132 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

...like any addict I have to congratulate you!
And in much less than thirty days you'll have pimped the camera with a viewfinder, a hood and the grip, no?
The grip makes the camera bigger but, at least for me, in a good way only.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:08 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.132 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Well, I'm probably going to order a grip right now. I'll wait on the finder as I already have an optical finder I'm going to try on it.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.132 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
There's nothing wrong in being pedantic

Oh yes there is. Come to Israel so I could introduce my wife to you...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.132 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yakim Peled wrote:
Oh yes there is. Come to Israel so I could introduce my wife to you...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

OK, let me re-phrase myself and say There is nothing wrong with being scrutinous when buying a camera.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.132 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Well, I'm probably going to order a grip right now. I'll wait on the finder as I already have an optical finder I'm going to try on it.

Will you be satisfied with a viewfinder showing no info at all? The EVF is totally OK and except for framing you get the usual info incl enlarged view when focusing is critical and the ability to review images in it. An extra feature is that you get a tilting viewfinder. Unless you aren't after smallest possible setup I'm sure you won't regret buying the grip.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.132 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:

OK, let me re-phrase myself and say There is nothing wrong with being scrutinous when buying a camera.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.132 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
Will you be satisfied with a viewfinder showing no info at all? The EVF is totally OK and except for framing you get the usual info incl enlarged view when focusing is critical and the ability to review images in it. An extra feature is that you get a tilting viewfinder. Unless you aren't after smallest possible setup I'm sure you won't regret buying the grip.

I generally don't care for EVF's and prefer OVF's...but that will depend on AF accuracy to some degree.

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:18 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.132 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I wonder how difficult it would be to create an OVF with an overlay of basic info?

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.132 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste wrote:
I wonder how difficult it would be to create an OVF with an overlay of basic info?

It isn't. Fuji did that in the X20.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:26 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.132 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yakim Peled wrote:
It isn't. Fuji did that in the X20.

Yeah... X100, XPro1. I know they can do it built in. What I was wondering is how feasible it would be to do this as an external shoe mounted one.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:52 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.132 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I see no reason for this to be unfeasible.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:42 PM
tulaev

p.132 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

"OK so maybe not quirks but major flaws but the images are just so good and the camera just so nice to use, that complaining about these quirks is a lot like abandoning a Ferrari 458 Spider because there’s a scratch on the passenger door."
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10248/sony-rx1-review-stills-camera

May 01, 2013 at 04:47 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.132 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

'$2800 may seem a lot for a “compact” but that is before you see the images.'

'Attractive design gets admiring glances'..these caught my eye.

Thanks tulaev, that was a fun read..I agree perhaps 95%, and even the reviewer understands it is a cut down, first cut, stripped out hotrod of a camera, exactly why it was irresistable, lol. And why a lot of users can't get on board at the same time. I do feel it is an experienced photographer's camera which would be excellent to grow into nevertheless, if need be.

So no hinged LCD, no decent video, no ibis, no nice metal bits, and so on. They wanted one thing - top image quality from a DSC as in digital still camera! It's so good at what is does best it is almost embarrassing.

I have to say, if I was Sony I would be heading plenty of venture capital towards the Cybershot design team rather than the other areas, except for the other big project the 'FF NEX' which might resemble an RX anyway.

Even slow AF, plastic focus ring and associated quirks - though I disagree re peaking only only with focs mag being an issue - is kind of a backhander from Zeiss for not using a manual focus lens, which I would had loved.

Nice review, snappy conversational writing style, make the point with emphasis and style.

May 01, 2013 at 08:13 AM
tulaev

p.132 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

"However if you really want the image quality above all, if you love the quality without compromise you should try, at least once in a lifetime, the new Sony RX1.
A perfectible camera capable of producing pictures close to perfection..."
http://www.riflessifotografici.com/english/sony-cyber-shot-rx1-english.html

May 02, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Muizen

p.132 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

tulaev wrote:
"However if you really want the image quality above all, if you love the quality without compromise you should try, at least once in a lifetime, the new Sony RX1.
A perfectible camera capable of producing pictures close to perfection..."
http://www.riflessifotografici.com/english/sony-cyber-shot-rx1-english.html

I agree fully with tulaev.

My last camera was a Leica M9.
It was my best camera ever.
Now I can only say that my RX1 is a marvel and by far "the best camera ever"!
A pleasure to use and to get the amazing image quality.

Here in Europe we have to pay more than $4.000 (including the EVF which is top too!) and I am surprised that so many Americans are spending there time looking for RX1 deals around $ 2.300!

This is the best camera money can buy and offers finally a farewell to the heavy large Caniko etc. constructions that people leave at home because these are a pain to carry around.
Coming from a Leica experience I feel that I never had so much pleasure in photography after I made the step to the RX1.
Stop talking about "where to find cheap RX1's" and stop talking about difficult to find "weaknesses" of the Sony RX1.
Enjoy!
Harry

May 03, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.132 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Well, there are certainly major "weaknesses" with the RX1 system that shouldn't exist at it's price...but I'm trying to work around them due to the superb image quality. Ergonomics and poorly thought out accessories are what I'm finding to be real issues.

For eye level use, one should be able to use the official Sony thumb grip (which greatly aids handling imo) with the Sony EVF solution. That incompatibility is a pretty huge oversight on Sony's part, particularly since there would appear to be no technical reason why it exists.

Next up, why is there no locking mechanism on the EVF? I keep reading about rubber band solutions to get the EVF to stay put so it doesn't slide out inadvertently.

Finally, it sure would have been nice if Sony had put a little AF confirmation led next to the hotshoe (as exists on almost every other similar camera) so that when one is using an optical finder (such as the $600 Sony Zeiss option!), there is at least some sort of visible, positive AF feedback.

There really is no excuse for these sort of design issues -issues that do affect useability and ultimately enjoyability - in a camera at this level. For me, the camera is good enough to try and find work-a-rounds for these design flaws but I certainly could see some of these being deal breakers for others. I have had my RX1 for less than a week and all of these issues have quickly surfaced and many greatly affect the actual useability of the camera - these are not "cosmetic" issues but functional ones!

May 03, 2013 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password