Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              126      
       128              191       192       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.127 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I really like the RX1.

Sublime by alabang, on Flickr

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.127 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
Maybe an X100s?

I'd actually prefer this one.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:58 AM
tulaev

p.127 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/4/leica-m-240-with-35mm-f1-4-fle---some-observations

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.127 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thanks for posting a link to Tim's article tulaev, some fascinating information there, on the Leica 35/1.4, forensic in fact. And some on the RX1.

The RX1 is around 31/32mm in focal length for example, perhaps due to the distortion control. I am happier than if it was on the long side.

I'll end by suggesting to anyone who thinks the RX1 is not special to take a look at the second image on the page, yes, yes, a brick wall but a very interesting one with lots of detail and other objects. The rendition of the RX1 has such amazing bite and life, and sense of depth. A smiley indeed. How did they do it, lol.

PS Tim has diametrically opposed views to some posters here on the consistency and 'trickiness' of the RX1 Sonnar, but the experience could admittedly be coloured by doing these kinds of comparisons. Hopefully not down to sample variation.

Apr 13, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.127 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

tulaev wrote:
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/4/leica-m-240-with-35mm-f1-4-fle---some-observations

If I had to guess which was which, I would have thought the M image was from the RX1 because that was sort of what I got out of it. Sometimes.

Apr 13, 2013 at 08:50 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.127 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj wrote:
Thanks for posting a link to Tim's article tulaev, some fascinating information there, on the Leica 35/1.4, forensic in fact. And some on the RX1.

The RX1 is around 31/32mm in focal length for example, perhaps due to the distortion control. I am happier than if it was on the long side.

I'll end by suggesting to anyone who thinks the RX1 is not special to take a look at the second image on the page, yes, yes, a brick wall but a very interesting one with lots of detail and other objects. The rendition of the RX1 has such amazing
...Show more

I also found that article extremely useful and, unfortunately for my wallet, pushing me further and further towards acquiring an RX1.

As shown by Ron in a comparison earlier and confirmed in this article, it does appear as though the lens on the RX1 is around 31/32mm, which I actually prefer.

There was also a link to a nicely executed distant landscape series and the lens was definitely sharp corner to corner at distance. At the same time, the lens is also capable of rendering a nice, soft oof bokeh with closer, wider aperture shots. A somewhat rare combination.

I guess, my only concern would be getting a sample of the RX1 which performs at this level, without any decentering or other issues.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.127 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

hey, i think i maybe i asked this before, but don't remember the answer and haven't had a chance to play with an rx-1 yet.

is it possible have the camera set so that it is 1) in manual focus mode, 2) turning the focus ring won't automatically cause the evf/lcd to go into magnified mode, but 3) focus assist magnification can still be engaged by the push of a single button?

the inability of NEX cameras to do this makes AF lenses ridiculously annoying for me to use.

Apr 13, 2013 at 04:00 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.127 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

It's always going to be a quirky camera, at least this first one, but the results are good enough (understatement alert) that users carry them everywhere and get very good results for most all subject matter and styles. I am already planning to take lots of family and people images and close ups for example, and places I walk around where you see a lot of nice light and...wish you had a (good) camera.

Most everyday images from it - you seem to come across a very high proportion of just excellent ones, it's almost a casual innate ability the camera has. It's got to be the lens. It excels in high contrast comps, retaining excellent tone detail at both ends.

Here is another experienced guy with a long page (might load slow) full of what an experienced user can expect by just paying attention to the subject and using decent technique:

http://thegoldensieve.com/sony-rx1-a-user-report/

'it is a wafer of silicon 35mm by 24mm paired to a brilliantly, ridiculously, undeniably sharp, contrasty and bokehlicious 35mm f/2 Carl Zeiss lens.
Image quality is king here and all other things take a back seat. This means the following: image quality is as good or better than your DSLR, but battery life, focus speed, and responsiveness are likely not as good as your DSLR.'

Gary Winogrand used to say he loved taking photographs partly 'to see what things looked like when photographed'. He would have liked the RX1, most likely. No roll changing too.

For people looking for options for focusing here are this guy's settings:

'set the front switch to MF, the right control wheel button to MF/AF Toggle and the AEL button to MF/AF Control Hold'.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.127 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

so, nobody knows?

sebboh wrote:
hey, i think i maybe i asked this before, but don't remember the answer and haven't had a chance to play with an rx-1 yet.

is it possible have the camera set so that it is 1) in manual focus mode, 2) turning the focus ring won't automatically cause the evf/lcd to go into magnified mode, but 3) focus assist magnification can still be engaged by the push of a single button?

the inability of NEX cameras to do this makes AF lenses ridiculously annoying for me to use.

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.127 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Maybe it is a $3000 question?

I had some questions about the RX1 handling as well so I had a look at the manual. That was disappointing. Now I think I have to visit a shop and try things out. But, that's a risky game - I suspect I will want a camera, even a camera without a finder, if I do that.

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.127 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jonas B wrote:
Maybe it is a $3000 question?

I had some questions about the RX1 handling as well so I had a look at the manual. That was disappointing. Now I think I have to visit a shop and try things out. But, that's a risky game - I suspect I will want a camera, even a camera without a finder, if I do that.

hopefully not quite $3000.

i didn't find the manual terribly useful, but tbh i didn't spend much time on it. just skimmed looking for topics that might address my questions. i've never read any of the manuals of the cameras i actually own.

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:37 PM
darrellc
• •
p.127 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

sebboh, just tried it and yes, you can do this. You could of course assign magnification to a different programmable button.

- set camera to MF
- turned magnify assist off
- set 'c' button (on top plate next to shutter release) to magnify

then when I turn the focus ring, it doesn't automatically magnify, but pressing the 'c' button brings up a magnify box area that I can move around to where I want, then a press of the center button on the rear dial toggles between the three magnification levels. So two quick button presses to get into magnify view, maybe there's a way to make it a single press but I didn't play around further.

Note that focus peaking ONLY works in magnification mode - hopefully a firmware fix will add that feature back in non-mag view (I think it was in a pre-release firmware according to something I read, if I recall correctly).

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:48 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.127 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

sweet! thanks, though my wallet may not be happy about that. the lack of peaking in non magnified viewing does seem kinda silly, but I just find peaking distracting for the most part anyway.

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.127 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Well, here in Sweden it is close to a $4000 question. But reading Darrel's (?) reply make it more a quest for the money than a question... Must resist (I also would like to have the viewfinder, the thing can be pointed upwards!

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.127 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The viewfinder is truly great and makes very much sense despite the price. I still don't think the camera is expensive for what it is, even with the swedish price.

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.127 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

You can do it guys :-)
I still don't have any regrets spending such large amount of money on this camera + EVF. The sensor and lens alone already justify a lot of the price IMHO.

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.127 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochenb wrote:
You can do it guys :-)
I still don't have any regrets spending such large amount of money on this camera + EVF. The sensor and lens alone already justify a lot of the price IMHO.

Like addicts we all want to drag other innocent folks with us down, no?

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:04 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.127 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochen, do you still have the X-E1? If so, how do you balance the use between them?

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.127 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

That's right Jonas. See you soon in the image thread. He he

Morten, because I'm trying to find a good balance between my cameras I actually have too many of them right now (5DII, RX1, X-E1 and OM-D)! The X-E1 is for sale, because of a few reasons:
- I like the RX1 IQ better.
- I like my Zeiss 21mm ZE and 50/1.4 ZE better than the Fuji 14mm and 35mm. Because of this I'm planning to also keep using a DSLR. When my X-E1 set is gone I'll also sell the 5DII for the 6D. Smaller, lighter, gps, silent shutter,...
- The OM-D is a good compromise for people/street shots. Superfast AF, small, tiltable touchscreen,... I feel it suits my RX1 better for those moments I want fast AF and/or some small longer lens. (The IQ of the Fuji is better though.)

So my plan in a nutshell: RX1 + OM-D for things like cities or family stuff, RX1 + DSLR for larger trips/landscapes. The X-E1 is great, but too much "in between" everything for me.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.127 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thanks, Jochen.

Apr 16, 2013 at 09:03 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password