Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              124      
       126              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.125 #1 · p.125 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

wayne seltzer wrote:
Yes, RX1 lens performs well both at infinity and closer distances.

I'm still very unsure about the performance. I shot some "landscapes" today and I find the results really dull at f/5.6. It could be AF of course (front focus), but that doesn't matter since I don't like MF with "fly by wire".

When the **** can I have a camera that I'm happy with? I'd take the images from my D700 with sort of any decent lens over the RX1, but the weight just kills the fun.

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:05 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.125 #2 · p.125 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Work out a bit

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.125 #3 · p.125 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

carstenw wrote:
Work out a bit

Or maybe just quit shooting. I'm so tired of this. No matter how much I pay, there is always flaws. Flaws that doesn't have anything to do with cost, which is proven by the fact that I love the results from my old Nikkor-S 50/1.4 from 1969 on the D700, once stopped down a tad. And if there was a digital camera of the size of the film ones when that lens was made...

Fuck it.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.125 #4 · p.125 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Not FF, but the small Pentax's (K5) with the Limited's fill that niche for me. Least amount of compromises and not really that expensive...and about half the weight of something like a D700 with lens.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:25 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.125 #5 · p.125 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Sure, but that is essentially just quitting. There is nothing in life which isn't broken, flawed, lacking, wrong, bad. You have to take what you can and make the best of it. There is lots of enjoyment to be had when you are accepting of the flaws. Keep the camera which comes closest to what you want, sell the rest, and wait.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.125 #6 · p.125 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

carstenw wrote:
There is lots of enjoyment to be had when you are accepting of the flaws.

Indeed, but not at that price. Maybe I should just get something lesser, because then I could live with flaws.

Edit: The one camera that I have liked the most was the Leica M8. Despite being "wrong" for what I want to do. Unfortunately, I sold my second one because of the battery draining in minutes during cold weather.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:34 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.125 #7 · p.125 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Maybe an X100s?

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:14 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.125 #8 · p.125 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Makten wrote:
Or maybe just quit shooting. I'm so tired of this. No matter how much I pay, there is always flaws. Flaws that doesn't have anything to do with cost, which is proven by the fact that I love the results from my old Nikkor-S 50/1.4 from 1969 on the D700, once stopped down a tad. And if there was a digital camera of the size of the film ones when that lens was made...

Fuck it.

Maybe a 6d? I even like its build as long term Nikon owner. You know that D700 set bar pretty high, I guess it is too high to keep by Nikon itself

But I haven't been able to find a small lens can work with it with no reservation yet.

ZF35 is great, but also a great brick. The same with Leica lux R.
ZF P50 is too soft WO.

Maybe leica M, but I just enjoy SLR shooting so much and can't give it up.
Life is always full of trade off.

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.125 #9 · p.125 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Martin, when I saw your initial praise for the RX1 I was already wondering how long it would last. Maybe you should indeed quit for some time. Gear always gets you frustrated and I remember the thread about printing too, where you said you just shoot photos to see how it looks... to trash them afterwards. Doesn't sound like someone who's really into photography.
Perfectionism can ruin the fun of every hobby (I know it from making music).
Don't get this wrong, I really hope you'll find your holy grail soon.

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:24 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.125 #10 · p.125 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I assume you've already considered the Sigma DP2M?

Ergonomically and IQ wise I love the 5DII + CV 40mm f2, but it is still a brick - I don't think even the 6D though would cut it for you. I'm now using the X100S, but I assume you have found that wanting in some way or other.

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:46 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.125 #11 · p.125 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

wolfloid wrote:
I assume you've already considered the Sigma DP2M?

Ergonomically and IQ wise I love the 5DII + CV 40mm f2, but it is still a brick - I don't think even the 6D though would cut it for you. I'm now using the X100S, but I assume you have found that wanting in some way or other.

Forget the Sigma DP2M. I have one and it is stuffed to the gills with compromises. Great camera, IF you are ready to work it hard. I dont see Martin having that in him right now. I am amazed he is so upset at the RX1. Last time I was in this thread he was singing the praises of it.

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:21 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.125 #12 · p.125 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jochenb wrote:
Martin, when I saw your initial praise for the RX1 I was already wondering how long it would last.

+1.

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:30 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.125 #13 · p.125 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

rattymouse wrote:
I am amazed he is so upset at the RX1.

I'm not upset with the camera, but with the lens performing in a completely random way. I just can't trust it and then everything fun about photography is ruined. I've never seen this with other lenses.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.125 #14 · p.125 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I could see the DP2M working for Martin, as long as the sometimes odd colours don't bother him. The DP3M seems to have solved some of the colour issues, but it is a short tele. The lens doesn't have much of a "look" though, apart from sharpness, which might be a deal breaker.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:04 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.125 #15 · p.125 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Makten wrote:
I'm not upset with the camera, but with the lens performing in a completely random way. I just can't trust it and then everything fun about photography is ruined. I've never seen this with other lenses.

Do you think there is something wrong with your copy?

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.125 #16 · p.125 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

carstenw wrote:
Do you think there is something wrong with your copy?

No idea, and if it is, I can't do anything about it.

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:35 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.125 #17 · p.125 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Well, you should still have warranty, right? You could describe the problem and send it in. Maybe it will come back fixed.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.125 #18 · p.125 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Makten wrote:
I'm still very unsure about the performance. I shot some "landscapes" today and I find the results really dull at f/5.6. It could be AF of course (front focus), but that doesn't matter since I don't like MF with "fly by wire".

When the **** can I have a camera that I'm happy with? I'd take the images from my D700 with sort of any decent lens over the RX1, but the weight just kills the fun.

Interesting - I tryed to write about the D700s ability comparing to other cameras on another thread, CarstenW: Do you remember ?

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:29 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.125 #19 · p.125 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

carstenw wrote:
Well, you should still have warranty, right? You could describe the problem and send it in. Maybe it will come back fixed.

Or I'll just end up sitting without a camera for a couple of months and get it back without any change. Since I can't reproduce the errors myself, how the heck is the store or repair man supposed to do it?

The only thing that I can think of that may cause these thoubles would be a decentered lens in combination with completely unreliable AF. Sometimes one side of the image is unsharp, and the next time it's the opposite side. Or everything is just a tad soft. Or sharp from corner to corner.

Sure I'm picky, but again I'm still happy with the results from the D700. So I don't need a "better" sensor than that. Just a smaller body.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.125 #20 · p.125 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Here I was thinking about giving you a decent offer for your RX1. That's a bit rude but as one not having taken a single image in (soon to be) three months I felt entitled.
But the problem you describe sounds bothersome. Putting your reputation as one seldom satisfied aside I don't think the behaviour of your copy is neither typical nor acceptable.

I have my micro 4/3 gear up for sale and I'm looking for a small body with better image quality (subjectively) and have been looking at the Fujifilm XE1 and the RX1. An XE1 with the 35/1.4 and the 14/2.8 seem to be the way to go for me but the RX is still, despite the price, tempting. A small body with a good lens and a FF sensor free from questionable features like IBIS or OIS has to end up very high on the list.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:05 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.