Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              121      
       123              192       193       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #1 · p.122 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj wrote:
My suspicion is it is run by a shadowy government department somewhere, no normal person is that anal or retrograde.

It sounds like it might be run by the same people as dslr-forum.de. There is good information there, but the admins operate in the best BOFH style. I once had a for-sale post removed for mentioning my eBay handle (to boost trust in me as a seller).

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:19 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.122 #2 · p.122 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Philip, Ming Thein just wrote an interesting blog entry on Sony/Olympus partnership. He thinks Nex should be dropped.
When are you getting your RX1? Hope you like the MF!

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:19 AM
romneythor

p.122 #3 · p.122 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yes, that bulky X100s! If the RX1 was THAT huge, with it's OVF/EVF finder, it would have been in my bag on day 1. Anyway, for me, the x100 is the perfect, compact size. Small enough to take anywhere, big enough so ergonomic handling is not sacrificed. I felt the same about the body of the NEX-7 with regard to size.
http://gibranstudio.com/x100s.jpg

I did a quick side by side handling comparison of the Fuji and RX1, as I'm very close to buying one although with Large hands and coming from a Canon 1d series I am more than a little concerned how I will go handling the positively miniature rx1. As the image shows the x100s is only very marginally taller and has the slightly wider body which allows a bit more finger grip on the body, although after a close comparison i found the RX1 with its raised thumb section and slightly sturdier build felt easily as comfortable in my hand. The lens also felt quite a bit easier to steady,manual focus and adjust aperture, than the tiny x100s lens, although as seems to be the consensus the x100s will shatter the RX1 in autofocus, ideal for street and moving subjects. Tough decision, i hope sony can improve the AF in future firmware, although i must admit i am yet to have a chance to assess its usability IMO.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM
colonelpurple

p.122 #4 · p.122 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wayne seltzer wrote:
Philip, Ming Thein just wrote an interesting blog entry on Sony/Olympus partnership. He thinks Nex should be dropped.
When are you getting your RX1? Hope you like the MF!

Ming doesn't like Sony I think.

He dismissed the RX1 without reviewing or even using it once.
When I quizzed him on it he said that 35mm wasn't his thing.

I would advise Sony to keep Nex and get Olympus to build lenses for it and kill m4/3s or keep them both going.
I use an OM-d but have used a Nex 7 and 5 and they are mostly superior.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #5 · p.122 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

romneythor wrote:
I did a quick side by side handling comparison of the Fuji and RX1, as I'm very close to buying one although with Large hands and coming from a Canon 1d series I am more than a little concerned how I will go handling the positively miniature rx1. As the image shows the x100s is only very marginally taller and has the slightly wider body which allows a bit more finger grip on the body, although after a close comparison i found the RX1 with its raised thumb section and slightly sturdier build felt easily as comfortable in my hand.
...Show more

Sony is generally very good with the ergonomics of where the thumb supports the rear of the body. If you add the Thumbs UP (or the cheaper, knock off version) to the X100, it makes a HUGE difference with that camera. You end up with solid support that allows a very secure feeling, one handed hold. After using the X100 like that, I found it difficult to use without such an accessory.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.122 #6 · p.122 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I'll check out the naysayer Ming later on, to see why he is wrong today ;-)

I get my gear mostly from a Hong Kong outfit, Wayne, they do some good favours for Aussies (local warranties, etc.) and the usual suspects (BH, Adorama, etc.) cannot sell new cameras to us...but it's much worse for the European brothers and sisters from what I understand.

Tariq, not to throw fuel on your fire or anything (ha) but US residents can get a bit off the RX1 according to the rumour site: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/. Resale will stay high. Am I helping?

I am still in shock at the very bling Gariz 'gun metal soft shutter release' for the RX1, even if it does not quite have the same female-friendly appeal as the XA-SB2 they turn out for the X100. These guys really know gear freaks, right down to the DNA.

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:45 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.122 #7 · p.122 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
...If you add the Thumbs UP (or the cheaper, knock off version) to the X100, it makes a HUGE difference with that camera. You end up with solid support that allows a very secure feeling, one handed hold. After using the X100 like that, I found it difficult to use without such an accessory.

The problem to me with the ThumbsUp is that it digs into my ribs a little bit with the X100 on a strap across my chest. It's even worse with the M9, since the camera is heavier. I even tried filing down the one on my M9, in order to make it smoother, but it still bugs me. I stopped using them on both cameras. I prefer the backs of my cameras to be relatively flat, and the thumb rest on the RX-1 looks like a nice setup.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.122 #8 · p.122 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
The problem to me with the ThumbsUp is that it digs into my ribs a little bit with the X100 on a strap across my chest. It's even worse with the M9, since the camera is heavier. I even tried filing down the one on my M9, in order to make it smoother, but it still bugs me. I stopped using them on both cameras. I prefer the backs of my cameras to be relatively flat, and the thumb rest on the RX-1 looks like a nice setup.

I could see that being an issue if you carry the cameras outside of a pouch/ bag over the shoulder. With my pouch, a thumbs up actually facilitates quickly pulling the camera from it's "holster".

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.122 #9 · p.122 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj wrote:
I'll check out the naysayer Ming later on, to see why he is wrong today ;-)

I get my gear mostly from a Hong Kong outfit, Wayne, they do some good favours for Aussies (local warranties, etc.) and the usual suspects (BH, Adorama, etc.) cannot sell new cameras to us...but it's much worse for the European brothers and sisters from what I understand.

Tariq, not to throw fuel on your fire or anything (ha) but US residents can get a bit off the RX1 according to the rumour site: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/. Resale will stay high. Am I helping?

I am still in
...Show more

Yeah, I posted that on the previous page I think. Turns out, its $180 off at the moment. I think my price point of submission is 2K, so not quite there yet.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.122 #10 · p.122 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Doug, I wonder if the Thumbie stick-on thumb grip might be better?

rscheffler wrote:
But I can see it becoming a love-hate relationship, primarily because of the seemingly thick electronic layer between me and the final image that is difficult to circumvent. This is primarily the AF as noted above.

rscheffler wrote:
Another irritant is if the camera is asleep and I bring it to my eye (using the EVF), the camera wakes and turns on the LCD display and does not detect my eye at the EVF. Invariably it means losing a couple seconds to figure out what happened.

sebboh wrote:
this is how i've felt about every autofocus camera/lens i've every used, and the reason i turn AF off as soon as i pick up a camera.
can the camera be set up so that it switches between evf and lcd at the push of a button rather than automatically? the lack of ability to program such a button is my main annoyance with the NEX-7.

I tried a few menu options reassigning buttons, but couldn't seem to find an option (might not have looked hard enough) to get what I want, which is a dedicated "AF-ON" button at the back of the camera near where my thumb rests, which also switches off AF activation from the shutter release button. I don't like having to half-press the shutter button to lock AF.

Regarding the EVF, same deal. I looked around a bit in the menu options but didn't see anything. Again, I could have missed something. While the eye activation is OK, sometimes I didn't have my eye close enough to the finder and it would suddenly blackout and switch to the rear display. I much prefer how my GXR lets me toggle it with a button over the rear display.

Romneythor: I'm also a longtime 1D series user and do find the RX1 a touch on the small side. But it's still usable and I think other aspects of the camera make up for minor UI problems; primarily the lens. It's brilliant, IMO. The sensor is also really nice. The more I play with the files, the more impressed I am with how malleable they are. That said, I don't think high ISO noise is anything better than I'm seeing with the 1DX, based on RAW files with LR4 NR at the default setting. The RX1 is going to look grainy at ISO 3200 and 6400+ but the colour is quite good still at these ISOs. Having never used one, I'm not sure how the X100/X100s stacks up in comparison. But if you're after street type work, or anything where you might need follow-focus AF, the RX1 might pose some challenges, as I discovered photographing the very active 2.5 year-old son of a friend.

Ming & the future of Sony NEX: I wouldn't be surprised to see the NEX system mutate to suit future market demands. It's not like Sony have a huge lens lineup in place, nor are many very expensive or catering to the higher end market where there might be more sensitivity to things such as lens mount changes, forwards/backwards incompatibility... To me NEX still feels like a bit of an experiment. And for us looking simply for a body on which to adapt other makes of lenses, I don't think it really matters so long as those can still be adapted.

I've been really impressed with what Olympus has done with lenses for m43. Same with Panasonic. Images I've seen in those threads are definitely no worse than any other format. But, I've been a bit underwhelmed when viewing full-rez m43 files. Often there is a P&S sensor undertone to the images that I just don't see from APS-C and larger. That said I recently viewed some 20x24 prints from the GH3 and would never have guessed (though the photographer/printer is highly skilled both creatively and technically).

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.122 #11 · p.122 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I could see that being an issue if you carry the cameras outside of a pouch/ bag over the shoulder. With my pouch, a thumbs up actually facilitates quickly pulling the camera from it's "holster".

Yeah, I don't really use bags at all anymore, except to transport things from place to place, since I'm a single prime shooter, although I do throw my camera in the diaper bag from time to time. I also occasionally throw on a neoprene cover that fits snugly over the camera and folds easily into my pocket, and the Thumbs Up also causes issues with the fit of that thing, too.

Ron, the Thumbie is also pretty sharp looking, and I don't think it would solve anything for me. I wish the M cameras had the old advanced lever, simply for a thumb grip, since it folds away nicely. I ended up just putting a little square of camera leather on the back of the M9's top plate, and that gives me enough grip, since I use small lenses.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.122 #12 · p.122 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

for Teseg:

You want a product from the Loctite line, most are used for threadlocking but very many times I have used 222 in small quantities (less is more) to fill the role you want, that of resistance to unlocking without a rapid loss of adhesion, yet enabling disassembly. A little dab should enable you to get the torque just right for both fastening and unscrewing. Reapply infrequently.

http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/content_data/133403_LT_4985_Threadlocking_Users_Guide.pdf

I would not want to put undue force on the shutter release shaft.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM
dovey
• •
p.122 #13 · p.122 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

To reply to my own question, it appears that to use an external flash with the RX1 an adaptor is required. It does not appear on the Sony website in Australia but is on the US site. I have ordered one.
With this adapter, it seems that the speedlight does not meter, no ETTL but is manual.

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:25 AM
Chris Crevasse

p.122 #14 · p.122 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

With the RX1, to accomplish AF on a back button, assign AF/MF Control Hold to your AEL button, and set your front focus dial to MF. This disables focus from the shutter release. To focus, press the AEL button, and AF is engaged. When you release the AEL button, the camera reverts to MF, and your focus is locked where focus was achieved while in AF. To refocus, simply press the AEL button again.

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:33 PM
teseg

p.122 #15 · p.122 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thanks philip_pj, I will explore the loctite solution.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Sam tran
• • •
p.122 #16 · p.122 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

This give me hope. The new OM-D2 Full frame may be just around the corner! WhoaHoo!!!

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:15 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.122 #17 · p.122 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tom, just a dab'll do ya, any excess can be cleaned up easily...I am surprised the threads are not a good fit, suitable for re-use on a frquent basis, provided they are not over-torqued.

Saw a thread at DPR on how to best secure the EVF, some odd looking schemes, a rubber band included, lol. Has any user here found the one true way to keep the EVF from slipping off, I wonder. I figure to use the camera with the EVF on all the time, as it does not extend far behind the rear panel.

thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3450498

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:15 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.122 #18 · p.122 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Philip,
My EVF has never slipped of since I got it and put it on.I never take the EVF off.
I assume the more times you put the EVF on and take it off the looser the connection gets and more likely to slide off.
A locking mechanism would have been nice.
When not in use I keep the camera with EVF on inside a neoprene cover which works well for me to protect enough from banging on things.

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:10 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.122 #19 · p.122 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Interesting review of the Leica M 240...where the RX1 comes out on top with regard to IQ.

The funny thing in the review to me was seeing him use the Leica as a point & shoot all the time (just like the RX1). That said, when he handed it over to someone who used the Leica "properly", the results reflect that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX7i7MyjUmc

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.122 #20 · p.122 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

That's reassuring, Wayne, and that is what I will do also, any suggestions for the neoprene bag? It will then go in either a small waist bag or a daypack, but that simple primary protection is a great way to go, keep out dust too.

Tariq, it seems that is the tendency for many people...I think it was Helena here who said her RX1 results imrpoved when she started treating it as a 'real camera' not a P&S, or words to that effect. Using a Leica M that way seems a little strange, but who am I to judge.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:55 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password