Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              105      
       107              192       193       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.106 #1 · p.106 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wayne seltzer wrote:
Try Sony online store. That is where I got mine.

Thanks Wayne will check it out

Looks like they are coming in 2/25

Phil

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:27 AM
dovey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.106 #2 · p.106 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I took the RX1 as my only camera to India and only just returned after 3 weeks, so glad I didn't lug the 5D2 plus lenses.
I went to Kerala for the first time, my goodness, what a positive for Communism. I could not believe that I was in the same country, compared to the other South Indian states, Kerala is first world.
Clean, no poverty, fabulous housing and obvious wealth wherever I looked. Bizarrely everywhere we went there were red flags flying with the Hammer and Sickle, and CPI(M) logos!!
I am looking forward to getting my photos up and processed. The camera worked very well as a stealth camera. Rest the camera on the belt and take photos, many sites are fairly sensitive in terms of religiosity, but these were some of the most interesting places for great images.
The camera is so small and quite that very few noticed what I was doing.
I am still recovering from the revolting way that we were treated by Singapore Airlines. If you are familiar with Tiger Airways, a cut price and low quality Asian airline, that is the new standard for Singapore Airlines.
I booked the tickets 4 months ago, and it turns out that Singapore Airlines had cancelled that flight 7 months ago, and when we turned up at the airport they told us it was our problem and could not have been any less helpful.

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:00 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.106 #3 · p.106 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Sorry to hear about the problems with the flight Dovey. Travelling to India for 3 weeks must be great. I look forward to your photos!

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:43 AM
dovey
• •
p.106 #4 · p.106 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

It is going to be another week or so before I get back to these photos. I am off to the Australian Alps for a week of walking. Really magical Alpine Plains but I will be taking the 5D2 for this trip.
Usually we go much earlier in Summer, fabulous wildflowers and the colours are to die for. This is the latest I have gone and we are in the middle of a heatwave. I don't expect much in the way of flowers this year, but the walking will remain wonderful

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:48 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.106 #5 · p.106 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

might be of interest:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/01/18/quick-comparison-sony-rx1-vs-fuji-x-e1-iq-af-speed-and-iso/

SAL have some good pilots and are labouring along with the problematic A380s - a genuinely poor aircraft that never met an air pocket it did not like. They flew us past the recent WA cyclone, very professional indeed. On the plus side SAL are very organised and have an excellent booking system.

Always best to confirm flights (and hotel bookings) 48 hours ahead, to get seat allocation and to guard against nasty surprises. Even marvellous Jet Airways shunt passengers off to JetConnect in these tough days for (non oil rich) airlines.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM
ulmer

p.106 #6 · p.106 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

You all finally pushed me over the edge with all the great feedback and pictures. My RX1 is sitting here after a nice walk to test it out. Seems outstanding to me. Time to sell some gear I suppose. Too many cameras.

Of note: I picked mine up at a Sony Store. They offered a deal where I received 15% of the camera's value towards accessories and extended warranty, so $420 of add-ons for free! Sadly, they didn't have the electronic viewfinder in stock. So, you might want to check out your local store if you're in the market for an RX1 + accessories.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:14 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.106 #7 · p.106 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ulmer wrote:
You all finally pushed me over the edge with all the great feedback and pictures. My RX1 is sitting here after a nice walk to test it out. Seems outstanding to me. Time to sell some gear I suppose. Too many cameras.

Of note: I picked mine up at a Sony Store. They offered a deal where I received 15% of the camera's value towards accessories and extended warranty, so $420 of add-ons for free! Sadly, they didn't have the electronic viewfinder in stock. So, you might want to check out your local store if you're in the market for
...Show more

Congrats!

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.106 #8 · p.106 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I'd love to see those pics from India Dovey! Must have been the perfect camera for that sort of trip....

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:20 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.106 #9 · p.106 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I've made some color profiles via color checker.

Ill add more as situation presents. I need to find fluorescent and it's been sunny 75 degrees so cloudy is out for now. However. Heres the link for anyone it may help and again ill add more

Quick sample of the differences. Profile was the only thing changed.

Adobe default

Sunny profile

I also have some for the rx100 but they will remain incomplete as its off for dust removal.

Anyway. Give them a try. I may need to redo shade.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:34 PM
dovey
• •
p.106 #10 · p.106 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Phil,
The problem was with appalling management and systems from SAL
I tried for two days to reconfirm our flights, but the SAL servers would not allow me to login.
When we got to the airport 4 hours ahead of time, the SAL staff told us that the flight we were booked on had been cancelled 7 months previously and that this was all our problem and could not help. They would not allow us to use a phone to call anyone or even to use a terminal to send an email.
When we eventually got hold of a SAL person who was able to book us on the next flight, we were told that there were no, not one, seat available. Threats to call SAL in Singapore eventually got us on the flight, only to find that a third of the seats were vacant. No, I do not believe that SAL provides good service

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jochenb
• • •
p.106 #11 · p.106 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I just got my RX1. The dust on the sensor is visible on the LCD even without zooming in, already from F5.6. Pfff.
Thanks (again) Sony QC!

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.106 #12 · p.106 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

What?! That's rather insane.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.106 #13 · p.106 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I'm going to try it some more to see how I feel about the camera in general. Then I decide if I want a replacement or my money back.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.106 #14 · p.106 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

my rx100 is in for that fix now… past return policy - i better re blue sky the rx1

I'm still so on the fence about the camera…. i make a ton of garbage then something nice..

it seems good when near… or far, but not in between - speaking of focus and sharpness.

It definitely doesn't have that zeiss pop, much more leica like.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:36 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.106 #15 · p.106 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochenb wrote:
I'm going to try it some more to see how I feel about the camera in general. Then I decide if I want a replacement or my money back.

So would I, sounds like a good plan. I bet you'll really like the output and enjoy the camera, but you'll also question the price and if it's really worth that amount of money. Just sayin'.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.106 #16 · p.106 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

mortyb wrote:
So would I, sounds like a good plan. I bet you'll really like the output and enjoy the camera, but you'll also question the price and if it's really worth that amount of money. Just sayin'.

You're right Morten. That's why I bought one from the Sony online store. Good return policy of 30 days. If I'm not convinced for this kind of money it's going back for a refund.

A few first impressions (also vs my Fuji X-E1):

Well, the dust spots I mentioned seem to be gone (for now). I put a vacuum cleaner on the empty battery compartment without expecting anything from it. However, when turning it back on and shooting the sky at F11 (I usually don't go beyond that aperture) the spots are gone he he. That's a pleasant surprise.

The build quality is very very nice. There's a nice heft to it and nothing feels flimsy.
I'll have to get used to the feel of the camera. It's so tiny. Crazy there's a FF sensor in this thing. My X-E1 feels much better in the hand (I use the grip on it though).
Using the EVF feels awkward, because there's so little grip on the camera and it's in the center. With the X-E1 I put it to my right eye, so my nose never bumps the camera. It just feels natural.
Refresh rate of the EVF is better than that from the X-E1, but overall I think I like the one on the X-E1 better at the moment (that's a big surprise). It's just always sharp. On the Sony your eye has more 'room' to move around, which can cause a blurry image because of the angle. Might be my tired eyes.
The EVF helps a lot for stabilising the camera!

Can't really comment on IQ yet, because it was almost dark when I got home. Indoor shots are promising. It's certainly sharp wide open and the bokeh is nice.
The AF performance is about the same as the Fuji. Don't like the fact you can't change the size of the AF box on the Sony.

So overall quick first impression: I like the shooting experience better with the Fuji. Image quality should convince me about keeping the RX1 (that's also why I bought it ofcourse), but we'll see.
To be continued...

A question for the people that also use the EVF: which of the two eyecups do you prefer and why?

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.106 #17 · p.106 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

That's clever with the vacuum cleaner. I guess you know, but when you change focus mode to flexible spot, the box gets smaller, but that's the smallest it gets, I think.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.106 #18 · p.106 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochen, assuming that the handling of the RX-1 with EVF is similar to that of the NEX-5N with its EVF, I highly recommend that you try shooting with the EVF tilted at about a 45 degree angle, like the angled Hasselblad finders, with your nose just above the LCD. This will also allow you to lock your elbows at your side, making things very stable.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.106 #19 · p.106 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
Jochen, assuming that the handling of the RX-1 with EVF is similar to that of the NEX-5N with its EVF, I highly recommend that you try shooting with the EVF tilted at about a 45 degree angle, like the angled Hasselblad finders, with your nose just above the LCD. This will also allow you to lock your elbows at your side, making things very stable.

The problem is that it won't stay at that angle. There is not enough resistance and as soon as you put your eye to the finder, it will move upwards. Really annoying and it was the same on the NEX-5N.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.106 #20 · p.106 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Makten wrote:
The problem is that it won't stay at that angle. There is not enough resistance and as soon as you put your eye to the finder, it will move upwards. Really annoying and it was the same on the NEX-5N.

I had no major issue with that on my 5N. It just moved slightly with my eye. I actually preferred that position to my NEX-7's EVF placement when shooting, although I didn't like having that appendage sticking up when carrying that camera, so I still chose the NEX-7 over it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password