Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

a BW conversion of a color composition you may have seen in the spring. With a bit more cropping, adjustments.

Scott

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    82mm    f/8.0    1/8000s    500 ISO    -0.5 EV  

Edited on Sep 09, 2012 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2012 at 04:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

Diggin' it way better than some of the previous versions ... particularly the tonal transitions.

Sep 09, 2012 at 04:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

This looks like a place I would love to be. I really miss the wetlands at my old home and the early morning visits with my super telephoto. I seldom got that close to GBH or their cousins however.

Great technique here, into the sun and no visible flare, and also good shadow detail. I like the subject and the presentation.

Sep 09, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

Yes, excellent use of BW!

Bob

Sep 09, 2012 at 07:44 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

Quite like the atmospherics. I know you were going for a horizontal symmetry, but to my eyes cropping a little from the bottom would be appealing.

Sep 09, 2012 at 07:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

AuntiPode wrote:
Quite like the atmospherics. I know you were going for a horizontal symmetry, but to my eyes cropping a little from the bottom would be appealing.

How funny ... I was thinking the symmetry works fine enough, but I'd probably crop a smidgeon from the top.

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

Cropping from the bottom eliminates that intruding bit in the lower right corner.

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:08 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

Cropping from the top rebalances the sky/wetland relationship to more weighting @ the wetlands. From the bottom obviously reverses that relationship ... which way you want to rebalance depends on which one you want to push/pull. It's can be a matter of preference if your objective is to rebalance or just to eliminate distractions. Either can be effective means for achieving your differing goals ... just gotta know how the crop/move impacts.

About 40px off each ... not too dramatic a change from Scott's original. Could've gone more dramatic if the sun wasn't such a strong comp element in the sky, but hopefully the comp illustrates the concept at least a smidgeon to give the gist.

Not that it really "needed" any crop at all ... all subjectively preferential.

40 Off The Top

40 Off The Bottom

20 Off the Top & 20 Off The Bottom

Sep 10, 2012 at 03:37 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #9 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

I really like this image. I do agree with Aunti on cropping a bit off the bottom. The original crop is fine but a bit off the bottom seems to help the overall comp.

Sep 10, 2012 at 04:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

I'm inclined to agree ...

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:10 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

Thanks for all the feedback.
Yes, going for the symmetry and I liked the ripples in the water. I was even, somehow fond of the rock lower corner.
Looking over the variations, a bit from the bottom works best to my eye as well.
Thanks for the advice and displaying the variations.

Scott

Sep 11, 2012 at 03:39 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Viera Wetlands Revisited

The rock was potentially interesting, but it stepped on symmetry's toes.

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password