Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Red tint in jpeg files after LR3 conversion.

florin.c

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Red tint in jpeg files after LR3 conversion.

Hi guys,

I have stumbled upon a rather annoying problem - I process most of my photos in LR 3. Recently I have discovered that all photos exported from LR (original files are Nikon raw files) have a noticeable red tint to them. They look great in LR and PS CS5 but when I export them to jpeg...the colors look off. My monitor is calibrated using an Eye One display 2. I have re-calibrated my monitor (as suggested by some internet forums) but the issue persists.
Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:50 AM
florin.c

p.1 #2 · Red tint in jpeg files after LR3 conversion.

After some troubleshooting it seems to be a color profile setting. I was using the sRGB profile for export. I tried the ProPhoto RGB profile and the colors were even worse. I have added the recently calibrated ICC monitor profile to the list (in the export dialog)...and lo and behold...the jpegs now look exactly like they do in LR.

Now...the million dollar question - how will the prints look like? Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Red tint in jpeg files after LR3 conversion.

What app are you viewing your newly minted jpegs in? Your problem has the hallmark of viewing images in a non color managed application written all over it, and that exporting to your monitor profile supposedly "fixes" the issue only confirms that. This is a classic symptom of basically mismatched color spaces and particularly when using a wide(er) gamut monitor and a non color managed viewing app or browser.

Let's say that your display is close to Adobe RGB in gamut, but your app can't use the embedded profile in your image. It's going to display that sRGB or the ProPhoto RGB as if is were actually Monitor RGB, which is why the ones your export in your monitor profile look right - because they are right, but only for your monitor.

View them all in a properly color managed app or browser and all version will look the same, or very very nearly the same.

sRGB is still the lowest common denominator and is the preferred choice for internet graphics, but even more important is to use fully color managed apps, now that there are a large mix of monitor gamuts being used out there.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:58 AM
florin.c

p.1 #4 · Red tint in jpeg files after LR3 conversion.

Thanks a lot Peter. I think you are right. I have not thought about various app not being color managed. Since you mentioned it I have tried several - and indeed, the ones that are color managed displayed the jpegs just like LR and PS. I will stick to the sRGB profile for workflow and export.
Thanks again.

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:51 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Red tint in jpeg files after LR3 conversion.

A good decision as a monitor profile and a color space are different beasts and should never be mixed.

Sep 09, 2012 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password