Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

donsj3cub
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

Opinion: which do you think is a better overall camera Canon 1ds Mark III or Canon 1d Mark IV

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:33 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

They aren't directly comparable except that they are both 1 series canon cameras.

For me, I'd rather pay for two 1divs to shoot than be given 1 1ds3 to shoot.

That is for what I do. That won't be the same for what others do. It truly depends on the functionality or your photography. For me, high Iso high fps are king.

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:39 AM
jaclarkaus
• • •
p.1 #3 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

Like comparing a Medium Format to a Mirrorless, neither better, just different.

The 1DS3 is a great camera very detailed images, slower but great for studio, and can get great results in post production.

The 1DIV is for those requiring bullet proof fast ... dare I say jpg shooter ... much more forgiving in unfavourable conditions, and probably better for those who want to shoot and move on.

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:58 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

Jpg!

Nope.

Sep 09, 2012 at 01:18 AM
donsj3cub
• •
p.1 #5 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

I guess let me clarify. Shooting non moving aircraft, car shows and some architecture

Sep 09, 2012 at 02:24 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #6 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

Both can do that VERY well, & so can a lot of other bodies such as my 1Ds2

Sep 09, 2012 at 02:40 AM
joakim
• • •
p.1 #7 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

donsj3cub wrote:
I guess let me clarify. Shooting non moving aircraft, car shows and some architecture

If you don't need weather sealing I see no reason why not to aim for a 5D Mrk III instead and I think full-frame would be good if space is tight at the car shows.

Sep 09, 2012 at 06:18 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

Personally I never liked the 1.3x crop. Neither one thing nor the other to me, cocks up your wideangles and can't take EF-S lenses.

I have learned to love my 1Ds3 and would never sell it.

Sep 09, 2012 at 06:49 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

donsj3cub wrote:

1DsIII

Sep 09, 2012 at 08:21 AM
UnknownSouljer

p.1 #10 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

I agree with joakim. You might as well go 5d3, better IQ, slightly larger MP, Full Frame, and better in low light (iso.) Also same price new as 1DS3 is used.

Sep 09, 2012 at 08:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tyreman

p.1 #11 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

donsj3cub wrote:
Opinion: which do you think is a better overall camera Canon 1ds Mark III or Canon 1d Mark IV

So the 'ds III is full frame the 'd IV is 1.3 sensor

two different products really, thou both are capable beasts if you will.

doesn't the 'IV have a newer digic IV processor as well?

you doing stills more or action?

if you want fps/higher iso/action stuff most likely then its the 'IV

you want max pixels and crop like crazy then may be its the 'ds III

out of your choices and clarification then 'dsIII ?

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:12 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #12 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

Architecture and cars - the 1Ds MkIII, if you want the tilt-shift lenses to work at their designed angles of view. You can use the 17mm on APS-H as a 22mm equivalent, but it won't take filters.

Comparing the 1Ds MkIII and 1D Mk III (I have them both), the full frame camera is much slower writing to the card and displaying images, sometimes annoyingly so. That's really about the only thing about the camera I can fault.

I can't agree with suggestions to get a 5 series for the same price, unless that's what you actually want. Those cameras are completely different in user interface and operation.

Edited on Sep 09, 2012 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:33 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #13 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

Your comparison should be between a 1DsIII and a 5D3. The strengths of the 1D4 are FPS and pixel density and given your criteria you don't need either. Unless you are going to be shooting in very bad weather I would agree with others that the 5D3 is the way to go.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

I have both the 1DS3 and the 5D3. Raw Image quality is basically identical up to iso 1600. At 3200 the 5D3 has a very slight edge and obviously it can shoot at iso 6400 with very good results. In long exposures the 5D3 is better. I believe, from the files I could see online, that the 1D4 has slightly lower image quality than both, overall.

But like it has been mentioned, its a 1.3x crop, so if you need a bit more reach and speed then its a good choice.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

I have the 1DsIII and 1DIV. I'm selling the 1DsIII to help pay for a new 1DX that I recently picked up. For the main purposes you mentioned, a 5DIII would probably be a better solution. You could even save some money by getting a 5DII.

P.S. I don't shoot jpeg with my Mk IV, either. Sometimes, I did with the 1DsIII when it was my second body for sports. Now I'll be using a 1DX and 1DIV. What's jpeg, anyway?

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:39 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

jcolwell wrote:
I have the 1DsIII and 1DIV. I'm selling the 1DsIII to help pay for a new 1DX that I recently picked up. For the main purposes you mentioned, a 5DIII would probably be a better solution. You could even save some money by getting a 5DII.

P.S. I don't shoot jpeg with my Mk IV, either. Sometimes, I did with the 1DsIII when it was my second body for sports. Now I'll be using a 1DX and 1DIV. What's jpeg, anyway?

Jpg is a good way to throw away data before you have a say so in what gets tossed.

Different if you're in a constant lighting situation with a constant white balance.

Sep 09, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #17 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

For full frame, I'd use 5D III over 1Ds III. I recall that, when I once used 1Ds III, I hated the back LCD screen. A friend of mine also found it useless and had to use Eyefi to transfer images to his tablet to view while shooting. So, no way for a 1Ds III to find a way back to my bag.

On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 1D IV. But it's more suited for sport and nature shootings.

Sep 09, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

Psychic1 wrote:
1DsIII

Since you don't need AF or extreme ISO you could get the 5DII.

Sep 09, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #19 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

BTW, where is the original post. I dont see it?

anyway, for non-moving aircraft, car shows and some architecture id get the 5D2 since its Image Quality is similar to the 1DS3 and the 5D3 at iso 3200 and less.

Full frame is perfect for architecture when you use the 14L II and or the 17 TS-E. Amazing combination. The 17 TSE like the 24 TSE shoots a heck of a lot wider than the focal length suggests since you can level and then compose shifting up or down. In architecture that usually means you can show a heck of a lot more of the building and or space and less of the floor while still keeping al vertical lines parallel. Same thing when shooting landcapes or anything else. Theyd be specially good for aircraft since they usually are high off the ground.

Sep 09, 2012 at 04:36 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #20 · 1ds Mark III vs 1d Mark IV

The 1DsIII and the 1DIV are complementary cameras. Each was designed to meet different needs. Both are pro bodies with all the advantages of such and the only real disadvantage being form factor (not a negative for many people) and weight. Both are incredibly durable. Having said that you can use either camera as a cross over if necessary though with limitations each way.

As a sports and general reporter, I couldn't live without the 1DIV. I suppose the 1Dx is an improvement that I can't afford. I am constantly trying to stop motion in bad, little, poor light. Stopping action is greatly enhanced by the 1DIV's 10 fps rating.

You seem to be interested in static things though you don't mention what sort of light you expect to shoot in. Up to probably ISO 3200 the FF 1DsIII creates as fine a RAW image as anything. (Some will argue about this, but it's a splitting a gnat's ass to say others are better.) Beyond ISO 1600 and certainly beyond ISO 3200 a newer camera (say 5DIII or 1Dx) will serve you better.

Your other options are a 5DII and the new 5DIII. The 5DII is a perfectly competent camera within the same ISO ranges as the 1DsIII. Its negatives are less than stellar AF, slow throughput, it doesn't have the durability of a pro body. (It is also smaller and lighter.) I've not handled a 5DIII, but for it's premium price it appears to get very good AF, several steeps higher ISO, and a nice LCD. You do pay the "Canon Tax" for a new camera, however.

If capital is a problem and you do NOT shoot by examining the rear LCD to determine focus, the 1DsII is currently an extraordinary bargain. Absolutely superb IQ up to maybe ISO 1600 (800 is best). I recently sold one off for about $1300 to help fund the 1DIV and do miss it. Yes it is older technology, but within its design parameters it makes superb images.

Unless you have the $$ for the latest, greatest I'd suggest considering a 1DsII or a 5DII.

Robert
(Who is desperately saving his nickels to get a full frame camera.)

Sep 09, 2012 at 05:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password