Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hitech 4x6 10-stop ND filter

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hitech 4x6 10-stop ND filter

My first mini review. Nothing scientific, just went out yesterday to try my new filter system.
I just got the Hitech, because I was tired of waiting for the Lee Bigstopper to be in stock.
I was aware of the blue cast that this filter is known for, but I thought I'd try it out anyway.
In short, the results straight from the camera are not good. A $140 filter should perform better.
It takes a lot of radical adjustments in ACR/Photoshop to get the image anywhere close to natural looking.

Gear used:
Canon 5D3
Canon 24-105
Cokin Z-Pro filter holder

Images as follows:
1) Hitech filtered image straight out of ACR.
2) Same image with lots of adjustments in ACR.
3) A shot without the filter taken just prior, straight out of ACR.

My conclusions:
1) Not very promising for color images.
2) I will likely use the 10-stop for mostly b&w, so the color issue may be something I just live with.
3) I want to compare it to the Lee, if I ever get it, but I'm still contemplating a return to get my money back.
4) I'll need to do more testing maybe with another camera and lens combo.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    32mm    f/10.0    30s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    32mm    f/10.0    30s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    32mm    f/16.0    1/3s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:26 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hitech 4x6 10-stop ND filter

shoot a test shot w/ a ColorChecker and balance that. I have yet to see a 10stop filter from anyone that hasn't had weird colorshifts natively.

Sep 09, 2012 at 02:50 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password