Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Okay.....first off this is a non scientific comparison of the 16-35 II and the Zeiss 15mm. The two shots were taken 3 days apart...and the framing is slightly different. Both processed through DPP with the same settings, didn't bother with trying to match color (or do anything with color...it's WB straight out of camera.) The big gray block is there since I'm posting files at 100%. (Not that these are that great....but...)

Both shots are at f/11. Canon on the top, Zeiss on the bottom.

http://photos.imageevent.com/devine/zeiss15andcanon1635ii/large/canon_16_35_II.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/devine/zeiss15andcanon1635ii/large/zeiss_15.jpg

Links to original files @ 100% (Warning LARGE files)

Canon 16-35 II
Zeiss 15mm

Note, it was a little misty the day I shot the Zeiss. The Canon had a Zeiss polarizer and the Zeiss had a Marumi polarizer.

Again...not a particularly scientific comparison...but you gives you an idea of how the lenses compare.

-Tim

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:25 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Wierdest copyright protection I ever saw, but sure, its effective.

Otherwise seems Zeiss is better. Btw. you have some NR enabled? Fine detail seems bit smeared out..

Nice difference in colors.

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:06 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Laziest copy protection is more like it.

I used DPP...which I almost never use...so I have no idea what the default settings are.

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:10 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Just updated the Canon image...realized it was processed with sharpness one notch lower in DPP.

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:23 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I am quite impressed at the difference in the corners. The zeiss image looks fantastic there...

Oct 16, 2012 at 02:54 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

It was worth the wait, and it seems to be on par with the copy Lloyd Chambers tested.

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:58 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Xavier Rival wrote:
I am quite impressed at the difference in the corners. The zeiss image looks fantastic there...

Not only in the corners. The Zeiss is better all over the frame. I see some CA with the Canon. I don't see this with the Zeiss.

Oct 16, 2012 at 05:49 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

It's hard to find any fault with the Zeiss in this comparison IMHO. The Nikon 14-24, Canon 17 TS-E, Samyang 14 and Canon 14 L would be much more competitive I would guess.

-Tim

Oct 16, 2012 at 06:17 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I would really love to compare this to the 17mm TSE which is what I am currently using. That is the only thing keeping me from buying this lens......

lst

Oct 16, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

From look of it I would say its on par with 17 TS-E, except this is Zeiss with its look and Canon is Canon.. (without look, but still one of best wide-angles).

Samyang is I think quite sharp, but not perfectly accros whole frame and its quite a bit more "curvy". No idea about rest, but I dont think any zoom can touch this..

Oct 16, 2012 at 09:39 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Lighting was a little tough for this shot but I really liked the water rolling over the rocks in the foreground.

http://www.devine.us/img/s2/v60/p1201598746-5.jpg

Edited on Oct 20, 2012 at 07:32 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:29 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I just got an email from B&H that my lens has shipped! It's expected to arrive on Tuesday!

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Congratulations, it's a fantastic lens. I'm hoping to have more opportunity to use it over the next couple of days.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

tsdevine wrote:

Lighting was a little tough for this shot but I rally liked the water rolling over the rocks in the foreground.

http://www.devine.us/img/s2/v60/p1201598746-5.jpg

No no no, please stop! This image pulled me over the edge and I ordered one from a delaer in Norway who had at least one in stock. The perspective really works here.

Oct 20, 2012 at 01:11 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

carstenw wrote:
The test results on the NEX-7 are not really relevant for these lenses, except perhaps the Samyang. No one buys a massive 1500 Euro or 3000 Euro super wide for crop camera use, when there are better native or other options.

But what if you have the lens and the camera anyway? How will they work together? The exceptionally high center resoultion of the 15 suggests that it will work well with cropped sensors. It will be interesting to see how it compares with a Distagon 21 on a 21-24 MP full frame camera.

Oct 20, 2012 at 01:16 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Really two quite different lenses due to AOV. D15 falls away steadily, ZE/F D21 is very even across the whole frame, but the D15 starts out very high at image centre. This works fine as the centre is often the furthest point in the composition (like the image above), the edges and corners closest with higher magnification to offset the decay in MTF.

A great shot, TS, great clarity and colour/contrast in difficult lighting - a Distagon hallmark. The low distortion is such a wide kind of fools the eye into thinking its FL is longer.

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:06 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

philip_pj wrote:
Really two quite different lenses due to AOV. D15 falls away steadily, ZE/F D21 is very even across the whole frame, but the D15 starts out very high at image centre. This works fine as the centre is often the furthest point in the composition (like the image above), the edges and corners closest with higher magnification to offset the decay in MTF.

A great shot, TS, great clarity and colour/contrast in difficult lighting - a Distagon hallmark. The low distortion is such a wide kind of fools the eye into thinking its FL is longer.

Yes, it it clear than just a few mm from the centre at 25 lp/mm the D21 Z* on FF will pull ahead from the D15 at 40 lp/mm on APS-C, at any aperture.

What interests me about the D15 on APS-C is the lower distortion (and to get rid of the moustache shape), and the possibility of even lower CA than the D21 Z* on FF. I have learned to appreciate absence of color aberrations more than highest possible MTF in the corners, as long as they don't fall into the "blurry" category like the D 2/25 Z* does in the extreme corners.

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:41 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Guess I was correct in naming the thread "support group" way back when.

-Tim

alundeb wrote:
No no no, please stop! This image pulled me over the edge and I ordered one from a delaer in Norway who had at least one in stock. The perspective really works here.

Oct 20, 2012 at 07:35 AM
Loscar Numael
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Has anyone received the Nikon version yet?

All I see are ZE versions in stock.

Cheers!

Oct 20, 2012 at 09:14 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Seems like the ZF.2 mounts are harder to come by. There's a guy over on dpreview who ordered back in March (similar to me) and he's still waiting as well. Only difference is the mount.

-Tim

Oct 21, 2012 at 07:10 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.