New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

I am i) buying a 600 v2 and ii) need minor repair on my ts-17. Was going to put in my order to today for 600 v2 but then started thinking about my ts repair that I have been putting off.

I am a serious hobby guy with Ts17, 851.2, 500f4, 100-400,70-200, 5dii, 5diii, 7d ......with focus on landscapes and large wildlife.

Is it worth it to sign up for platinum (or gold ) Canadian membership. I have enough lens and camera's to qualify, but am not sure that it is worthwhile (get my TS fixed faster with a loner and discounts).

The thing that really tempts me is my ts17 had the tilt clamp screw fall off. Conversations with dealers have been less than helpful in me doing it myself (ordering parts) or how long to fix. I don't want to lose my favorite lens for a month while they fix a minor issue and it would likely cost $1000 to rent it for the month. The TS still works but I want to fix it, but not in the best month of the year. So a loaner would be worth the membership fee by itself.

And then if there is a discount on the 600 f4 v2, that would be a bonus.

I really want the 600 v2 by early November for my annual trip to the polar bears and if CPS made it happen faster that would also be a bonus.

Any thoughts in advance would be appreciated.

Question : Is it worth it to sign up for platinum (or gold ) Canadian membership. I have enough lens and camera's to qualify, but am not sure that it is worthwhile.

Thanks in advance. Scott Stoness

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:33 PM
zndr
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

I make money on the side with photography. But even if I didn't I would get a CPS memebership.

I deal with a lot of people needing repairs and service. having a guarantee of turn around time is really really a nice thing. It's $100 US a year for the gold membership, The coffeetable book they send you just for signing up for gold payment is worth 40 bucks. Also, and I plan to take advantage of this shortly, the free cleanings the options for trying/borrowing items straight from canon is a great use for it.

Any how, thats my 2¢ (I'm sorry I don't know what a fraction of a looney is)

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:38 PM
James Cripps
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

CPS is very different in Canada, USA, Aus, etc. In Canada we don't even get free cleanings and there is no option to test, borrow, rent any EOS bodies whatsoever. Only lenses.

Having said that; I make my living from photography and having the quicker turnaround on repairs, as well as free shipping both ways on the repairs (I have a Platinum membership) makes it worth it.

As you mention buying a very expensive lens, there WOULD be a significant discount on it. I just saved a ton of money on a 1DX. So yes... I would say it is worth it.

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:48 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

Platinum membership may perhaps be worthwhile to someone who is planning a major lens inventory expansion, because then they would have access to CPS loaners so they could test-evaluate a variety of lenses before they would actually decide on the purchase.

For my needs the gold membership has been quite good and very worthwhile primarily due to a discount on purchase of some gears, and also the repair service is better and cheaper. I must say I am very happy with the program so far.

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:18 PM
scott f
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

If you are looking at the 600, definitely get a membership as it will save a huge chunk of coin with the discount.

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:20 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

zndr: Thanks for the feedback. Assured repair time is something I am seeking. Much appreciated. Scott

James Cripps: Testing a lens would be a great option, particularly since my local camera store often does not have lens like 35 1.4 to rent (and test). But turnaround on my 17ts is my primary concern, if/when I get it fixed because the repair is mostly cosmetic (i don't use tilt much and I can tilt with pressure on lens with my missing screw). Do you know how big the discount is? Any faster than vistek.ca? Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

PetKal wrote:
Platinum membership may perhaps be worthwhile to someone who is planning a major lens inventory expansion, because then they would have access to CPS loaners so they could test-evaluate a variety of lenses before they would actually decide on the purchase.

For my needs the gold membership has been quite good and very worthwhile primarily due to a discount on purchase of some gears, and also the repair service is better and cheaper. I must say I am very happy with the program so far.

Thanks PetKal. How much is the discount. I am likely to buy 600 v2, replacment 7d v2 when it is anounced/delivered in 6? months, and 200-400 when it is finally sold. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

Scottf: Thanks for the confirmation on price. But would it be faster than just through a dealer?. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:27 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

Scott Stoness wrote:
Thanks PetKal. How much is the discount. I am likely to buy 600 v2, replacment 7d v2 when it is anounced/delivered in 6? months, and 200-400 when it is finally sold. Much appreciated. Scott

PM sent.

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:34 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

PetKal wrote:
PM sent.

Thank you very much for the prompt response. You are a great contributor to a great forum. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:43 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

Thank you, my pleasure.

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:46 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

As Peter has confirmed I assume via PM, if you are going to buy the 600 there is no reason not to at least get Gold because of the discount. That is why I signed up but I've yet to find a 600 to buy.

The signup process was very slow...it took almost 3 months to finally get my membership number and card. They say only 30 days but was not the case for me. However, one of those months was because they said their IT department had misplaced my original application, then they found it and started the process over again. They sent me a few prepaid labels to send stuff in but we don't get free clean/checks like in the US.

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

I have CPS Gold. I've saved an average of 15% on lens purchases and 20% on cameras. Over the past three years, I figure the total savings has been about $6200 (incl. reduction in HST), on 1DX, 1DIV, 500/4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS II, TS-E 24/2.5L II, 50/1.2L, 100-400L, and Mk III Extenders. Gold membership costs $115 per year, incl. HST.

In addition, you get flat rate lens repairs. I would guess that it's about $350 for the TS-E 17L. They'll tell you if you ask. For the knob repair, that's probably not a great price. If you dropped it and it broke in half, the repair would cost the same.

You have to be a full time pro shooter to be a Platinum member, and you have to prove it with receipts or a letter from your employer. As a platimum member, you can get frequent loaners of really expensive gear, and maybe slightly faster service than Gold. Otherwise, Gold is just that, gold!

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

Here in Montreal I couldn't get a CPS discount on my 5DIII when I picked it up in May, however my business partner (also CPS Gold) did get a discount on his 1DX a few weeks ago and I think it was a little over 10% They did give me excellent pricing on L series lenses.

...this is from Photo Service in Montreal, the largest Canon pro-dealer in the province. So you get the best of both worlds...a discounted price and the personalized service of a pro-dealer (who lets you take it out of the box to fondle before buying).

So Scott, you should check in the The Camera Store in Calgary and ask them to quote you some prices with the CPS discount.

Beyond that the CPS service in Canada is top notch (and you get some freebies)

Speaking of freebies, this was my third year but I didn't get anything this year ...did anybody else get something this year? Last year it was a nice sports shirt.

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

The 5D-series has never been eligible for CPS Canada discounts.

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:35 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

Wait, Canada CPS offers discounts on purchases of equipment? Does Canon USA also do this?

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

arbitrage: hmmmm 3 months - thats a long time to wait for membership and still no 600 to buy, thats even more worrisome.

jcolwell: 15-20% is worth it all by itself on $12000 purchase. I appreciate the advice. Good to know that Platinum would require me selling my pictures - thats not going to happen - turning fun into a job is not my plan. Thank you very much. Scott

Chris Tylko: Good suggestion. I appreciate the help. Thanks. Scott

jcolwell: But the 200-400, 600, and tilt shifts could save me thousands . Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Edited on Sep 08, 2012 at 05:04 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:02 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

The flat rate repair charge for the 17mm TS-E is $299, less your CPS discount (20% for Gold, 30% for Platinum).

Turnaround time from Okotoks to Mississauga and back is usually 36-48 hours (Platinum membership) so being in Calgary should shave a few hours off of that time...

If you're a Platinum member, you often get to go to the front of the line when new pro gear is released, although if there simply aren't any lenses available, that may not help.

You won't get 15-20% off local prices - 4-5% is more typical - but that's still a fair chunk of change on a $10,000 purchase, and will pay for a couple of years worth of membership dues.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:30 PM
scott f
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

I can't find my invoice right now, but I'm pretty sure the discount was in the area of $1,000-1,500.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:39 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canadian CPS Membership - Worth it for very serious Hobbyiest

scott f wrote:
I can't find my invoice right now, but I'm pretty sure the discount was in the area of $1,000-1,500.

The CPS price is not actually a discount - it is the "dealer net" price; the "discount" is just the difference between that particular store's marked-up retail price and the net price.

Some stores already gear close to the dealer net price, and some of them actually sell below CPS price, so it always pays to shop around.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.