Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Third party lens repair?

weissj
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Third party lens repair?

Unfortunately, during a recent backpacking trip, two of my lenses (100L IS & 35L) suffered significant water damage. I sent both in to Canon and just received repair estimates. The 100L can be saved, but Canon's estimate to repair the 35L is hundreds of dollars more than a new 35L costs. Are there any third party, perhaps sketchier repair outfits that I might consult in a last ditch effort to save my workhorse? At this point, it's either that or the waste bin. Thanks.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:53 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Third party lens repair?

Try KEH.com. They are not "sketchy" but they are good and honest.

Since you're in Detroit you might want to give Oakland Camera Repair a call. I know they repaired a DSLR of mine many years ago, but I don't know if they repair lenses. They are located in Madison Heights on Dequindre RD. I believe between 12 and 13 Mile roads. Phone: (248) 588-1151

They are a small outfit, but I thought they did me well with a good price at the time.

Good luck.
Cordell

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:59 PM
weissj
• • •
p.1 #3 · Third party lens repair?

Thanks, Cordell!

I'll certainly take good and honest over sketchy; my desperation lowered the threshold for who I was willing to let pick at my poor, waterlogged lens. I'll give KEH a shot.

I actually just moved out of Detroit within the last couple weeks. I still need to update my profile. I appreciate the reminder.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:06 PM
dcimages
• •
p.1 #4 · Third party lens repair?

I've had a couple of lens repairs done by KEH , but not for water damage, they did a fine job at a reasonable price I would not hesitate to use them again .

Sep 08, 2012 at 11:06 PM
rossimi1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Third party lens repair?

Midwest Camera (also in MI) might be worth a shot. I've had good experiences using them in the past.

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password