Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · My intro to Canon...

AgeOfEmpires

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My intro to Canon...

Isn't going smoothly

(http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1145565)

Got in the 5D and it is virtually immaculate. So is the used 24-105 f4 L. Folks were right - KEH is very conservative in their ratings.

Couldn't use the camera on Thursday because I got home too late. Yesterday, got everything out and took a few pictures. Downloaded them and took a look - very nice.

Now comes the "fun" part....

I have a 16gb card that I had planned on using in the camera. The 5D was currently on firmware v1.1.0 and v1.1.1 is needed to recognize >8gb, plus v1.1.1 has a few more lenses in the db for exif purposes.

(Being a 25-year IT professional) I did quite a bit of due diligence around v1.1.1 to make sure there were no issues with the upgrade. It seems that the upgrade went very smoothly for essentially 100% of the people.

I downloaded the update and followed Canon's very straightforward steps TO THE LETTER. Everything went perfectly. At the very end (those of you who've done this will know what I'm talking about), I got the confirmation screen that the firmware had been successfully updated from v1.1.0 to v1.1.1. Excellent! The only thing left was to press the SET button to acknowledge the successful upgrade message (is essence, you are "pressing" the OK button displayed on the confirmation window on the LCD). As soon as I pressed the SET button, everything went blank.

The camera was dead. I called Canon tech support (very nice gentleman assisting me) and we tried a number of things. In the end, I've left out both batteries overnight. This morning? Still nothing.

I called KEH this morning for their advice and they are taking the camera back in to examine (since I've got a warranty with them) instead of me sending directly to Canon - although I'm certain KEH knows it will have to go back to Canon through them. They may have the capability to reflash a dead camera, but I wouldn't think so.

Guess the move to Canon is costing me a little more than I expected. None too happy at this point I must say. I think KEH was going to swap out the camera for me, but honestly, prior to an examination from them/Canon, I don't think that is fair to KEH, so I sort of talked the guy out of it. I installed the firmware - they didn't. However, a "successful" firmware update should not kill the camera, even a 5 year old one.

I do want to stress, I think KEH has been very helpful and their rating on the camera was conservative. I don't feel they sold me a "bum" camera. Based on my brief tests, it functioned perfectly. I can't imagine why the firmware upgrade killed it since I got the completion screen. If the camera itself was defective, I highly suspect it never would have made it through to the successful update screen.

Anyone with suggestions? Since camera is unresponsive, I doubt there are any, but thought I'd ask.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:15 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · My intro to Canon...

Sorry to hear that.

I've done a lot of firmware updates on a bunch of Canon DSLRs. I only recall that I needed to press SET to start the firmware update. The back LCD should tell the update progress and also warn the user from touching any buttons. After it went 100%, it'd do nothing. All I had to do was to turn the camera off and turn it back on again. I don't know what happened with yours there.

Either way, hope it works out for you to get the camera back. I used to be a Nikon guy (back in the film days). I switched and couldn't be happier. If I have to start all over again, I would still choose Canon. I love their glasses.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:23 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #3 · My intro to Canon...

I'd let KEH swap it out.

You bought a camera that should perform correctly. The firmware update is a normal part of "performing correctly."

If they are willing to swap it out, let them. i am sure they will work it out with Canon. In the meantime, you can reward them by being loyal, and by telling everyone how well they treated you!

If 10 people buy from them, they will gain back in margin any potential cost to them.

Good luck!
Michael

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:32 PM
AgeOfEmpires

p.1 #4 · My intro to Canon...

With the 5D, pressing the SET button at the end is in the procedures, although like you said, they warn you not to press buttons along the way. I've done tons of firmware updates in my day too. Never turned anything into a brick - until now.

Don't know how to embed pictures here or I'd put a screen shot of the procedures with the completion screen and a diagram showing a big arrow to the SET button, but from the Canon procedures at the very end:

* "When the update is completed, this message will appear on the LCD." (It is the "Update is complete message" which I got)
* "Complete the firmware update by pressing the <Set> button". (Which I did)
* The firmware update is now completed.

The 70-200 L f4 II is specifically why I made the switch.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:34 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · My intro to Canon...

AgeOfEmpires wrote:
The 70-200 L f4 II is specifically why I made the switch.

Do you mean the 70-200mmL f/4.0 IS?

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:45 PM
AgeOfEmpires

p.1 #6 · My intro to Canon...

mmurph wrote:
I'd let KEH swap it out.

You bought a camera that should perform correctly. The firmware update is a normal part of "performing correctly."

If they are willing to swap it out, let them. i am sure they will work it out with Canon. In the meantime, you can reward them by being loyal, and by telling everyone how well they treated you!

If 10 people buy from them, they will gain back in margin any potential cost to them.

Good luck!
Michael

This was my first time dealing with KEH. This problem is yet to be resolved, but they appear to be excellent so far. The guy on the phone did say my 6 month warranty covers the electronics. I have no question they will provide another camera if this one can't be fixed (unlikely that it is totally unrepairable I think). I'm guessing the chip needs to be taken out and reflashed or something like that (since I'm not an EOS technician).

Part of my resistance to the swap is the remarkable physical condition of this one. If it really was only just a firmware snag, I'd much rather have this one back. Besides a small amount of paint missing from the hot shoe, I would challenge anyone to distinguish it from a new one (except that a new one would most likely turn on ). Although I am sure they would replace it with an equally rated camera, that one could have another ding or two because the camera was an EX+ (90-96%). Cameras get dinged up while shooting with them. I believe the condition of the one I have shows exceptionally light use, which hopefully means low shutter actuations, etc.

In the end, I am sure, except for a few more days delay, things should work out ok.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:45 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · My intro to Canon...

BTW, you may want to delete the double post further down on this page. After someone has posted something there then it would be too late .

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:47 PM
AgeOfEmpires

p.1 #8 · My intro to Canon...

AGeoJO wrote:
Do you mean the 70-200mmL f/4.0 IS?

Yeah, you caught me. Still getting used to all of these Canon names. IS is exactly what I meant.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:47 PM
AgeOfEmpires

p.1 #9 · My intro to Canon...

AGeoJO wrote:
BTW, you may want to delete the double post further down on this page. After someone has posted something there then it would be too late .

Too late. For an old IT guy, I'm not having much success with technology am I? Maybe I should look for a new line of work.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:51 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · My intro to Canon...

AoE, I'll delete my post so you can delete the double!
BTW, great game, play it often!
As for lenses my two faves are the 100 non-L mac and the 70-200 f4L IS (it's amazing with TCs and Tubes)
Jerry

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AgeOfEmpires

p.1 #11 · My intro to Canon...

Got it Jerry. Thanks!

Since you have 35 years vs. my 25 years, maybe I'll send future firmware updates to you?

I read your post with interest. However, for those of us IT guys who deal almost exclusively on the s/w side of the house, I: a) wouldn't have the equipment to reflash a dead chip in the camera, and b) since I have a warranty, wouldn't do it myself.

Although it does sound like great fun, as you say.

In addition to your comments on the 70-200 f4, your sentiments are what I've read time and again about that lens, and as I mentioned above, the tipping point for my coming to Canon. Nikon doesn't have a similar lens that I can see. And since 85% of my Nikon stuff is DX format, I'd pretty much be starting over with a body and lenses to go FF there.

At the end of the day, I'm sure I'll be happy over on this side. Just wish I would have gotten a smoother start

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:07 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · My intro to Canon...

I've been on both sides of the computer isle, mostly software, back in the 70s n 80s flashing eproms and writing device drivers was my thang, since then it's data structures and UIs, c++ and some other OOs. More a desktop app designer in the 90s, mostly web now. Complete propeller head as is my lady, we've a full network at home, servers n desk/laptops about even, Win and Linux, android based toys only one apple an iPhone (ewww, not really, objective c is interesting).

I may still have an eprom burner, it's probably in the box with my Apple II+ or IBM XT!
6502, 8088 oh ya those were the dayz...cassettes n floppiess, 48K and 256K ram

Welcome to club Canon, a good buddy of mine shoots Nikon and he likes my 40D/70-200 combo, I kinda like his 14-24 on a D3, it's a great bit of kit
Next year a 5D3 will join the party...

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:25 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #13 · My intro to Canon...

Bummer

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:31 PM
AgeOfEmpires

p.1 #14 · My intro to Canon...

StillFingerz wrote:
I've been on both sides of the computer isle, mostly software, back in the 70s n 80s flashing eproms and writing device drivers was my thang, since then it's data structures and UIs, c++ and some other OOs. More a desktop app designer in the 90s, mostly web now. Complete propeller head as is my lady, we've a full network at home, servers n desk/laptops about even, Win and Linux, android based toys only one apple an iPhone (ewww, not really, objective c is interesting).

I may still have an eprom burner, it's probably in the box with my Apple II+
...Show more

Never did the device driver thing, although I've written 10,000's of lines of 370 assembly code back in the 80's. Instead of an eprom burner in a box, I've got an IBM yellow card in a box somewhere.

Stick to MS SharePoint these days. Got three Xeon-based servers running at home with a pretty extensive setup for that. No Linux for me though - I'm a big fan of FreeBSD for fun stuff, but Windows makes my $'s.

If the 5D was running Python, I'm sure I could fix it somehow.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:04 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · My intro to Canon...

AgeOfEmpires wrote:
Never did the device driver thing, although I've written 10,000's of lines of 370 assembly code back in the 80's. Instead of an eprom burner in a box, I've got an IBM yellow card in a box somewhere.

Stick to MS SharePoint these days. Got three Xeon-based servers running at home with a pretty extensive setup for that. No Linux for me though - I'm a big fan of FreeBSD for fun stuff, but Windows makes my $'s.

If the 5D was running Python, I'm sure I could fix it somehow.

We must talk, I'll PM ya, big on SQL Server 2K thru 08, just started looking at Sharepoint, seems a nice platform with lots of potential, must look at the market/employment ops before committing to certification.
Someone just put android in a camera, can python or ruby be far behind
370 assembly, tso/jcl and the like...ewww

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · My intro to Canon...

Ageofempires -- Sorry to hear about your troubles.

You must know that even new gear has a slight risk of failure, hence the warranty systems.

Used gear is exponentially more risky, as you must know. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy used gear, just go into it with a clear head.

As an IT pro, you should be well familiar with system redundancy, and measures to safeguard operations. The first step is to have multiples of whatever gear most at risk, not relying on one server, but several (including off-site, not applicable here!). In other words, with used cameras, like used cars, my policy to own several, unless I am the kind of person that enjoys unexpected catastrophes! (And I don't!) I don't want my car breaking down, leaving me stranded with no wheels to get to a gig, and I don't want my camera going down with no back-up.

I understand you are dipping your toe into the Canon pool, and undoubtedly on a budget. But as a technical pro, you should realize you are putting yourself in a tight spot, relying on the one body. No problem doing so, just be realistic, and get over your disappointment -- easier said than done with a new toy!

I'm sure your situation will be resolved favorably. KEH is a excellent seller. In the meantime, I'd suggest you buy a new or used T2i (amazing used prices!), T3i, or the new T4i, to get a more technologically up-to-date Canon camera that can act as a primary or back-up to your 5D.

Best regards for a happy Canon ownership experience.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:21 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · My intro to Canon...

Gunzorro makes an excellent point, check out the buy&sell forum, I picked up a used 50D awhile back and love having two bodies...my 40D is still going strong after 5yrs but it's nice to have backup

PS. Ahh you have your Nikon gear as backup, well done...as for a p&s...I've a G12, picked up off the b&s forum, luv it

Edited on Sep 08, 2012 at 05:46 PM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:32 PM
AgeOfEmpires

p.1 #18 · My intro to Canon...

Gunzorro,

Since I am on a budget, my backup for now is my Nikon DX stuff - D90 and a host of lenses. I am an amateur photog, so even a p&s would get me by for the critical stuff in the interim (perish the thought).

KEH is indeed an excellent seller, as I've come quickly to realize. I've had one more conversation with them today around estimated times (since I've got a new 70-200 sitting here without a body to test and only 30 days to do so). KEH insists - in a very nice way I might add - in swapping out the body so I can test out the 70-200, even in light of the fact that it died after a firmware update.

It is my first time dealing with KEH, but it most certainly won't be my last. And even though I got precious few pics out of this body, they were very nice, so I am confident the 5D won't be my last Canon body either. I am sure there is a MkIII in my future - just when the prices drop.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:39 PM
AgeOfEmpires

p.1 #19 · My intro to Canon...

StillFingerz wrote:
We must talk, I'll PM ya, big on SQL Server 2K thru 08, just started looking at Sharepoint, seems a nice platform with lots of potential, must look at the market/employment ops before committing to certification.
Someone just put android in a camera, can python or ruby be far behind
370 assembly, tso/jcl and the like...ewww

Sounds great. MS has brought SQL Server a LONG way, plus I think SharePoint 2010 is the best thing they've ever produced (Win8 metro interface? I hope is goes the way of MS Bob) . SharePoint is a tremendous platform that, when implemented the right way, can provide a host of benefits to the enterprise.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:47 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · My intro to Canon...

The guy on the phone did say my 6 month warranty covers the electronics.

Considering most of the stuff in the camera is electronics, I sure hope so.

Anyway, this is why I usually advise against buying used, especially if it's also old. With electronic equipments, there's always a chance of it to suddenly die without warning. The older it is the greater the chance, and if your luck isn't so good...

I would've waited for the extra 6 months and just get a brand new 5D3 instead. Because now you still end up waiting anyway.

BTW, Win8 Metro is crap.

Sep 08, 2012 at 10:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password